Lusitania - Ships Nostalgia
15:08

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Lusitania

User Tag List

Old 17th October 2010, 18:26

Lusitania

I have been studying the details of the sinking of the Lusitania.
In all the material I have read there does appear to be discrepancies as to the events and what caused them, but of course the end result remains.
Some of the details are beyond my capacity to verify them but I am puzzled over the details of Captain/Commodore William Thomas Turner and his family.

Of Captain Turner DOB 1856: Some writers say simply he was born in Liverpool. Others go further and say he was born in Everton Liverpool. Some are more specific and say he was born in "23 Clarence Street Everton Liverpool".
I was born in Everton and I know that Clarence Street is not in Everton. Clarence Street is almost in the city center, which is not Everton. But, there is a Clarence Grove which is in Everton.
I have tried the to check details of his birth via the various search facilities but to no avail. They don't seem
to come up with anything that fits in with bigger picture of his family.
Some searches seem to agree that Turner was Commodore of the Cunard Line but give him a different middle name. The same thing happens when I try to follow the details for his two sons Percy and Norman.
The Lusitania sites on the net, whilst good, also give information that is a bit suspect.

Any information on Captain William Thomas Turner RNR O.B.E. and his family would be most welcome.
Old 17th October 2010, 22:44

There were 3 Clarence St,s in Liverpool circa that period Everton, West Derby and Mount Pleasant. Try checking the census returns for 1871, 1881 with the name William Thomas Turner put in approx age related to the year of census return that you are checking. Also check the BMD records for that name, you can do this via Ancestry.com or Genes Reunited you may need to subscribe to them or get someone who is already subscribed to check for you.
Old 18th October 2010, 08:49

My location
If this is the correct Turner 1861 Census RG9/2719 living at 22 Atherton ? Everton Liverpool
Charles Turner 33 Mariner Merchant service, Born Liverpool
Wife Charlotte 31 Born Bolton
Ann M 7 born Liverpool
William Thomas 4 born Liverpool
Sarah 11m born Liverpool

if this is the correct William Turner. RG10 /3816 page 29
In the 1871 census it looks a if they were living in Everton, 36, Albion Street
Charlotte Turner wife aged 41 married, mariner’s wife born Bolton also
Daughter Annie 17 born Liverpool
Son William 14 born Liverpool
Daughter Charlotte 12 born Liverpool
Daughter Sarah 10 born Liverpool
Daughter Mary 8 born Liverpool
Son 2 born Everton

To find his actual place of birth you will need to obtain his birth certificate

Ray
Old 18th October 2010, 15:14

Lusitania

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1buck1 View Post
If this is the correct Turner 1861 Census RG9/2719 living at 22 Atherton ? Everton Liverpool
Charles Turner 33 Mariner Merchant service, Born Liverpool
Wife Charlotte 31 Born Bolton
Ann M 7 born Liverpool
William Thomas 4 born Liverpool
Sarah 11m born Liverpool

if this is the correct William Turner. RG10 /3816 page 29
In the 1871 census it looks a if they were living in Everton, 36, Albion Street
Charlotte Turner wife aged 41 married, marinerís wife born Bolton also
Daughter Annie 17 born Liverpool
Son William 14 born Liverpool
Daughter Charlotte 12 born Liverpool
Daughter Sarah 10 born Liverpool
Daughter Mary 8 born Liverpool
Son 2 born Everton

To find his actual place of birth you will need to obtain his birth certificate

Ray
Thank you Cutsplice and Ray.
I don't understand how you can pull up the information you obtained, I try, but it don't seem to work for me.

Captain William Thomas Turner:
I am told his Fathers name was indeed Charles, but I don't have a name for his Mother, it might well be Charlotte.
Charles Turner (father) was at sea, and is described by some authors as a "ships captain".

Albion Street Everton:
Well would you believe it! As a boy (now aged 73) I lived just around the corner from Albion St. I recall the houses in that street being rather grand looking even in 1930/40.
With regards to Atherton Street, I can't find it, but there was an Atherton Close, which was just a short distance from Albion Street. I can't recall the size of the property in that close, but it seems feasible that with an increase in the number of children in their family (as shown in the difference in the two census), the Turner's could have moved from smaller property to a much larger house on Albion Street.

I appreciate I may be jumping to conclusions but did makes more sense now with your help than before.

William Thomas Turner, Married an Alice Hitching in 1883 in the Manchester area. They had two sons, Percy and Norman.

Thank you again for this.
Old 18th October 2010, 17:20

My location
It probably is Atherton Close wasn’t quite clear on the census hence the ? mark

William Thomas Turner, and Alice Helen Hitching. the marriage is recorded in Chorlton in the September quarter of 1883 in volume 8c page 869
Ray