Raspberry Pi - Ships Nostalgia
18:57

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Raspberry Pi

User Tag List

Old 29th February 2012, 20:55
Department: Deck

Raspberry Pi

This gadget is for teaching children computing/programming. Ideal for my ten year old grandson.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...pberry-Pi.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17190918

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/Art...nd-farnell.htm

Last edited by Binnacle; 29th February 2012 at 21:12.. Reason: Addition
Old 4th July 2012, 19:14
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Active: 1971 - 2011

Have just put down my name for one - bugger the "next generation" I want back to my "computer youth" (which hit about 26 - went up the road in Charleston or Wilmington with a 500 dollar "bank roll" to buy my first TRS80 with, perhaps as much as 4K Ram).
Old 4th July 2012, 19:20
Department: Engineering
Active: 1981 - 2003

My location
TRS80 now there's a blast from the past, my school bought a couple about 1979/80 and I learned BASIC on them - this has stood me in good stead over the years now I apply the same methodology to writing expressions in Excel!!

Have you still got it?

The other "Blast from the Past" is the Commodore PET - virtually bomb proof as I remember.

You'll also remember the Tandy stores in the UK that sold all kinds of electronic wonders - still got a Radio Shack store in St Annes (or there was last year!!)

George Santayana (1863 - 1952)
Old 5th July 2012, 10:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan112 View Post
TRS80 now there's a blast from the past,
1979 - quite early. Obviously enthusiastic educators. I had seen a computer (1968 ish), home built by the physics master at, I think, Caterham Grammar School and displayed during a science club meeting at mine - not working ' though, the journey proved too much for it.

Regretably last Tandy kit binned a few years ago. We did have a Tandy here until the mid 80's but, in sympathy with the Tottenham Court road any outlets that might attract the hobbyist disappeared.

(And ignoring the Nord 10/12 driving the Norcontrol DB4 and IBM System 7 and Digiflop ARPA left in my tender care with Texaco and Conoco).

Last edited by Varley; 5th July 2012 at 10:52..
Old 6th July 2012, 20:29
Department: Deck
Active: 1956 - 2005

My location
Still have a 64k Spectrum, a BBC and a BBC Master in a drawer. Get earbashed for not throwing away masses of computer bits - but they might come in handy one day.

Andy
Old 14th July 2012, 18:39

As invited by RS placed my RasberryPi order yesterday. ETA 12 weeks.
Old 23rd October 2012, 18:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varley View Post
As invited by RS placed my RasberryPi order yesterday. ETA 12 weeks.
Still waiting for the Pi but have temporarily got a 'fix' by buying an Arduino board
Old 24th October 2012, 04:23

My location
But the Pi just looks like a bit of circuit board, what can you do with them, what good are they?

(Confused of Holyhead)

"There is no such thing as a bum note...I only take the opportunity to expand the transcendental vibrations to explore the lesser known highways and byways of musical theory! I find it best to play it loud...that way no one can say you did not mean it!" Dorothy Willows

Currently testing: www.cable962.listen2myradio.com
www.yellsoundfm.listen2myradio.com
Old 24th October 2012, 15:21
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Active: 1972 - 2005

My location
My introduction to computers was in 1969 using IBM's 1130 and 360. Key punch cards and Fortan 7. I think the IBM 1130 cost the school around $ 40,000 and had about 64K memory.

Joe
Old 24th October 2012, 18:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastie View Post
But the Pi just looks like a bit of circuit board, what can you do with them, what good are they?

(Confused of Holyhead)
Coastie, you need to get out from your galley more (I really, really mean that!).

As it is I am sure it will do vastly more than my first Tandy "Trash 80" and surfacebelow's early 'bluey' but some tubing will explain better than me. if you like using applications on your PC that's fine but it's far more fun to write them.

See - http://www.youtube.com/user/RaspberryPiBeginners

David V
Old 22nd November 2012, 10:40

My Raspberry Pi has arrived!

I have promised myself to tidy my playroom and get my Hipp Togg swinging before I open my new toy.

Perhaps the milestone 'task' should be my first post done with it or has anyone else got there already (NOT using adolescent assistance).
Old 22nd November 2012, 17:11
Department: Navigation

My first memory of personal computers was going into a shop that sold Apples, the chap sat me down at the keyboard. I typed my name and it came up inside the glass!
Old 23rd November 2012, 13:42
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1966 - 1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varley View Post
1979 - quite early. Obviously enthusiastic educators. I had seen a computer (1968 ish), home built by the physics master at, I think, Caterham Grammar School and displayed during a science club meeting at mine - not working ' though, the journey proved too much for it.

Regretably last Tandy kit binned a few years ago. We did have a Tandy here until the mid 80's but, in sympathy with the Tottenham Court road any outlets that might attract the hobbyist disappeared.

(And ignoring the Nord 10/12 driving the Norcontrol DB4 and IBM System 7 and Digiflop ARPA left in my tender care with Texaco and Conoco).
Still got my TRS-80 in the loft, it hasn't been powered up for eons. Every time I came home on leave it would get another upgrade:

1. Numeric keys added.
2. Memory Expansion.
3. One Disk drive
4. Second disk drive.
5. Tandy computer desk to fit it all on.

In the early days loading programmes from a cassette tape was very frustrating.
Today when a add up all of the receipts it comes to a small fortune!!! but still it was worth it as both my sons work in the computer industry)
Old 24th November 2012, 10:04

Mike, No voice synthesiser? David V
Old 24th November 2012, 12:49
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1966 - 1987

David, Must have missed that one. The Trash 80 got me quite proficient in MS Basic, a skill no longer of any use to me now. The machine language instruction however was carried over to later forays in the new and exciting world of computing. I'm writing this now by speaking into an Android, at that time such things would be unimaginable.
Mike
Old 24th November 2012, 17:23

My location
I viewed one of the You Tube Video's on programming the Raspberry PI and I noticed that it is using Python. I had Python installed on my computers for several years now. You can download Python from:

http://www.python.org/

I am using Python 3.2 but Python 3.3 came out in September.

Joe
Old 24th November 2012, 19:12

Python is used quite a bit in GIS, especially Arcview etc. The problem with that is, GIS is a big thing to get your head round if you are working on it intermittently, Python as well is like eating Jam roly-poly after a suet pudding. Overload!
Old 26th November 2012, 20:09

My location
A Electronic distributor have a challenge for you PI users and abusers. The 24-hour Raspberry Pi Hack will be held at Munro House in Leeds in the U.K. on December 1 and 2. Spectators are welcome.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20160...ml#tk.nl_today

Joe
Old 26th November 2012, 21:06
ART6 ART6 is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Active: 1958 - 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binnacle View Post
More years ago now than I like to remember, when desktop PCs were in their infancy, I bought my two kids an Amstrad. It was a primitive device by modern standards, but it got them enthralled by computing. They learned how to programme simple batch files using MS DOS. Now both of them are middle aged and running successful businesses that depend upon advanced computer technology. The moral of this story? Stretch children's imagination and desire to learn. Challenge them instead of simply taking the easy option and giving them unimaginative plastic toys (my daughter's company now designs much of the packaging for them!).

I spent hours with them with circuit boards and soldering irons putting together things that just played simple musical notes on drawing pins, and discussed with them how we could one day, maybe, work out how to couple the Amstrad to them to play a tune.

This new device could just bring challenge to kids and trigger their fertile imaginations at an affordable cost. Get one! It doesn't have to have a designer case and all sorts of bells and whistles to get a child enthralled.
Old 26th November 2012, 22:39

Jack is only 8 months old, I will hang back a bit.