Cad model of TEV Wahine - Ships Nostalgia
20:08

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Cad model of TEV Wahine

User Tag List

Old 5th July 2012, 05:57

Cad model of TEV Wahine

I would like to introduce myself, my name is Richard I have a lifelong interest in Ships, I work as professional 3d ship modeller for film and for Naval architects .
Both my parents worked for the Union Steamship Comany in the 1960's and 70's.
I am at present working on a higly detailed fully accurate, down to the last rivet 3d model of TEV Wahine for a project, I cannot disclose the project , however I would like to share some of my work with everyone here and also gain some knowledge from all the ship lovers here in this forum.
So far this model has taken 6 weeks full time work 7 days a week 8-12 hours per day............my wife will probably want a divorce soon.
I have started an account here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8096573...oto_7418825830

with a gallery of some of the work to date but here is a fairly recent one
I have obtained all remaining plans of the ship from structural throught to electrical and plumping to enable this ship to be as accurate as possible I have aslo had all the paints made to order to the original formulas,(happy to share these if needed)
Where plans dont exist I have used 2 and 3 point perspective over photos to establish detail on the ship, but most plans still exist ..about 50 rolls actually.. not bad for a ship 50 yrs old .
If anybody has any photos of the ship however insignificant they seem please do tell.
Wahine bridge back.jpg
lounge.jpg

Bye for now

Last edited by rd71sd75; 5th July 2012 at 05:58.. Reason: Typo
Old 6th July 2012, 06:39
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - Present

My location
That is beautiful 3D modelling and I can appreciate the hours you have put in, what CAD program are you using and can your results be exported to programs such as Maxsurf or Delftship in order to extract the hydrostatics.

If interested, PM me with your coordinates and bio, we could have work on future projects.
Old 6th July 2012, 09:58

Thanks Keltic Star,

I use a combination of programs most, 3D modellers do, but my main process is to use Rhino to trace and create faired nurbs curve networks and then import those into Maya and do the actual modelling.
Now some might say "why don't you just leave it as a nurbs model..." well the reason is that when this gets textured, which by the way, will use aprox 150 2k textures, I need to have explicit uv's on the model and Nurbs can't give me that control. Also as the model will probably end up being about 4 million polys plus people and animations I need to have tight control of the way the surfaces are tesselated hence why I just create polgon objects but create them using largly the Nurbs toolset in Maya as well as Rhino. For example I made the hull just like you would for a real ship project, it is fair and accurate within 1 inch. I then create all the plates from the ships shell expantinon and made each plate a patch.. I then can loft each plate in maya and soften the normals, except where seams in the shell are, so that when I come to texture I can see in the uv's where the weld seams need to be painted. Hope that makes sence.
As the hull is made in Rhino yes it can be taken into Delftship, Maxsurf or Ship Constructor Tribon, or any of those programs for stability anaylisis etc. In fact I have done that already for this ship as I do work for Naval Architects already on a freelance basis.
As for my location I am located on the Gold Coast in QLD Australia but I can do work for anyone around the world if need be. The main amount of work I do is premilinary design work at concept stage, structural modelling, and visualisation with renders, animations, simulations and have had work published in magazines.

Regards
Richard
Old 6th July 2012, 11:24

Page Not Found
Oops! Looks like you followed a bad link.
If you think this is a problem
Old 6th July 2012, 12:33

And I thought that I was being clever trying to come to terms with my new AutoCAD 2013 Product Design Suite .................. !!
Old 6th July 2012, 15:37
Active: 1958 - Present

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by vectiscol View Post
And I thought that I was being clever trying to come to terms with my new AutoCAD 2013 Product Design Suite .................. !!
Join the club Vectiscol, guess we have to know our limits, and get back to just making sure they float after building!
Old 6th July 2012, 23:08

Sorry the link seems to have broken
I have posted some more here

Bow railing gates.jpg

Bow.jpg

running gear.jpg

Promanade vent.jpg

prom.jpg

Should have some more images soon
Under normal circumstances in Naval Architecture you would not need to go to this amount of detail but as this is being used as film prop The ship becomes a movie set, and close-ups will be shot in various parts of the ship, it is easier to build the whole ship, and once the shots are figured out, the parts of the ship not seen can be removed from that shot
I still have a huge amount of work to do, I still have to add all the Scupper pipes from the decks which add a huge amount of interest to the look as the underside of the decks should be full of lighting cables for the flourescent lights and there should be a few 3- inch pibes running from the deck scuppers down to the ship hull , all these are in the plans also , just have not done these yet as they will really add to the poly count and slow down the work, then of course texturing....
Old 7th July 2012, 17:57
Ex marine truck driver
Active: 1968 - 1992

Those views along the side decks look pretty good, Richard. Nice work.
Old 11th July 2012, 13:38

i hate computers (having worked for britains biggest for 36 years)
totaly theoretical question ,with a big enough 3d printer could you print out a full size ship when you creation is finished???
Old 11th July 2012, 21:22

David
Ahhhhh yes .........you could in theory but it would be something that you could not do in one peice , not for this model, it would need thousands, but hulls in general yes you can make hulls that way , no problem we do it for making plugs for models.
Old 12th July 2012, 20:32

Of course one benefit of computer-aided design is that plans are drawn full-size on the screen, which means that shipyard loftsmen no longer have to crawl over the scrieve board to make full-size templates.
Old 12th July 2012, 23:00

Wow. Nice workmanship.
Now from a 3-d modelers stand point. If you could put this prgram into what ever and print an actual model...that would be cool.
Old 12th July 2012, 23:25

Now that WOULD be cheating...............!!! amazing how many people are mentioning 3d printers, they are not that accurate, they still need a lot of finishing work to remove machine marks etc.
Old 12th July 2012, 23:28

Having a 2 week break from project as my contact at the archives is on leave and we still have 6 boxes of plans and photos to process........................... so gonna wait till I have that, model is too far along to want to rework areas because I jumped the gun.
Old 23rd July 2012, 04:49

Starting on the lifeboats

31ft lifeboat.jpg
Old 23rd July 2012, 11:19

Hey Richard!
great to see you are enjoying SN.
And your work is coming along great.
Got your email
cheers

Martin
Old 23rd July 2012, 12:00

Thanks

I now have a large job of indexing the 200 plans of the ship I have recieved from the Archives.
Old 24th July 2012, 01:25

Need help with lifeboats gearbox (see here)31ft boat.jpg

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showth...588#post609588

Can anybody help??
Old 23rd August 2012, 16:59

Hi Richard,
I am impressed with the quality of the CAD model you have created.
I am part way through the construction of a 1:144 scale radio controlled sailing model of the Wahine. The pictures of your model will be extremely helpful to me in making my model - they add a lot of detail beyond what is shown in the shipbuilder's plans and photos.
A couple of questions.
Do you have detail of the bridge from above, can you show us some pictures?
I'd like to get information from you about the paint colours. It would be impractical to send them to me in Canada, but if you could paint a small sample of the hull and deck colours, I can attemp to match them here. I will repay any expense involved.
Excellent work,
Roy
Old 23rd August 2012, 20:42

@Hooroy
E mail me at [email protected], and we can sort something out

Richard
Old 10th September 2012, 00:45

I have started adding structural elements to model so that the model can also be used as a structural referance to this kind of ship much like Anatomy of the ship series ,I have almost completed the Double bottom and its framing/plates and started on the bulkheads (images coming soon)
Old 12th September 2012, 08:22

Here are some images of the structure I am doing , although this is not needed in the model for animation it will be needed for a book I want to write in a style such as the "Anatomy of the ship series" (as they don't want to do this ship) I will do it on my own.
Aft-Bulkheads.jpg

Double-Bottom-Struct.jpg

Turbo-Alternator-rooms.jpg
Old 16th January 2013, 01:37

Some more images of the interior of the ship structure, most of the hull is done now except the fore and aft ends , machinery and pipes, however a lot is not shown, as these layers are turned of for visability
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ports.jpg (275.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg ATA Room.jpg (43.9 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg side cutaway.jpg (107.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Upper garage.jpg (72.5 KB, 37 views)
Old 23rd January 2013, 15:23

Fantastic, I wish I was younger, as during my 28 years in the computer industry, I would occasionally use Auto Sketch for drawing plans of the office laouts, but 3D programming looks amazing. I look forward to following your progress.
Pete
Old 26th February 2013, 04:59

OK
I am starting to block in colour now, and add smaller details,one of which is the Bilge Ballast Intakes
Does anybody know what sort of grill or bar arrangment is usually found across these openings, I have searched the web to no avail, and it is not documented in the plans, I approached Winel who provided the original parts but they were far from helpfull. The openings are round 13 inch Dia holes on the Stbd side of the ship in the Fore and Aft Boiler Rooms
Can provide image if needed