Souter Shipping. Newcastle. - Ships Nostalgia
01:48

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Souter Shipping. Newcastle.

User Tag List

Old 5th August 2012, 21:10
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1980 - Present

Souter Shipping. Newcastle.

Just curious if there are any old Geordies out there. I sailed with Souters from 1985 to 90. I just thought i would start this thread incase anyone had a computer. I had seen no mention of Souters Here.

Il mention a few names see if anyone remembers.

Vernon Charles. Called me asked if I wanted a job and said as long as I was not one of those long haired freaks with earings and green hair he had one for me. He hired me on a hand shake apart from the articles the only contract i ever had. he kept it better than any other employer I have had before or since.

Davie Rouse one of the nices gentelmen I ever sailed with.

Kenny Greest. he would were out a path on the Bridge pacing from side to side every morning. I learned a lot from him though.

Alan Clish and Tommy Lloyd . I doubt they are still around

Black Bob.

Ted Willson. I heard he Died.

Kid Currie. Matt Helm.

and lots of others.
Old 5th August 2012, 22:42

My location
Sailed with Souters 97-2000, started on the bulkers then they sold them and went on the VLCC's.Then they were taken over by OSG-American outfit who within a year got rid of all the Brits apart from the top 4 and replaced us with Koreans.Loved working for Souters great bunch of lads but everyone knew what was happening once the Yanks moved in.
Few names I recall are Richard Purser Lennie Andrews,Alfie Smith ..
Old 5th August 2012, 23:05

My location
Greetings,

I was Third and Second Officer with Souters between 1967 and 1971 serving in the Sheaf Mount, Longstone, Sheaf Tyne, Sheaf Crest and Irish Wasa.

You mentioned Alan Clish, he was my brother in law and sadly died in 1990.

The names, Captain Jimmy McVean, Dave Mahwhinney, Marmaduke (Duke) Bentley, Dougie Robinson, Bob Mountney, Harry (The Fog) Dishman, Maurice Rackstraw spring to mind and of course Vernon Charles who ran the personel department when I was there.

There are just a couple photographs of my Souter days, one showing Jimmy McVean another of Souter's cuff links and one of a coffee mug.

Pat Thompson
Fair Winds and Following Seas

You can't get enough photos of "O'Boats"
www.rfa-association.org.uk
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Royal-...44215142275876
Old 6th August 2012, 19:03

Sorry to hear Allan Clish passed away. I Sailed with him on the enterprise around 85 86. He would often sit down on the Bridge day bed and complain of palpatations which he took something for. He was still quite a young man mid 40s I think. He retired soon after.
Not long after I joined the ship. We went up the Baltic. I had never been in Ice before. I called him when I spotted the Ice. he came up and was concerened about getting stuck. He told me to put the telegraph up to full when I got to where it thicked up. Unfortunatly I kind of misunderstood the instruction so when I saw it thicken I ran full ahead so we would get up to speed and hit the Ice at 16 knots and promtly reduced to 3. He was on the bridge Pretty Quick along with mate and chief. It was around then the mate explaing You dont ring Full ahead till after you hit the #[email protected]#$%% ice you [email protected]#$%^% idoit.. No damage we didn't, get stuck, the Mate got cold Checking the bow. I got more instruction on ice navigation.
Old 6th August 2012, 20:43
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

Capt McVean ( and his family) were frequent visitors to the Tees 1960-64 and were really well liked by our BISCOre Middlesbrough office staff.......I think he was on Sheaf Wear at the time........once we had, I believe, the Lindisfarne in port at same time and he and George Robison hijacked our Masters Room for the afternoon whilst they put the Souter world to rights!
geoff
Old 25th September 2012, 09:12
user
Department: Navigation
Active: 1974 - 1991

My late father, Peter Tyson, was C/E with Souters in the mid/late 70's, sailing on the "Longstone", "British Wasa", "Hamlet Beatrice", "DBC" and others.
Old 30th September 2012, 17:57

remember lots names from above was second steward on longstone lindisfarne cheviot three times and dunstanburgh castl remember johny walker captain sail three times with him maurice rackshaw was chief steward
Old 1st October 2012, 04:35
gdynia gdynia is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1970 - 2010

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post
Just curious if there are any old Geordies out there. I sailed with Souters from 1985 to 90. I just thought i would start this thread incase anyone had a computer. I had seen no mention of Souters Here.

Il mention a few names see if anyone remembers.

Vernon Charles. Called me asked if I wanted a job and said as long as I was not one of those long haired freaks with earings and green hair he had one for me. He hired me on a hand shake apart from the articles the only contract i ever had. he kept it better than any other employer I have had before or since.

Davie Rouse one of the nices gentelmen I ever sailed with.

Kenny Greest. he would were out a path on the Bridge pacing from side to side every morning. I learned a lot from him though.

Alan Clish and Tommy Lloyd . I doubt they are still around

Black Bob.

Ted Willson. I heard he Died.

Kid Currie. Matt Helm.

and lots of others.

Matt Helm lives in Thailand not far from me i sailed with him several times
Old 2nd October 2012, 08:28

Glad to hear Matts still around. I enjoyed sailing with him a couple of times. If you see him soon ask him about the dangers off using a mangle.
Old 2nd October 2012, 08:32

My location
Were you a 2nd Mate with Souters i feel we sailed together
Old 3rd October 2012, 04:16

No, Just 3rd Mate. I might have sailed with you. unless you were also a 3rd mate, in which case we must have relieved on and other
Old 3rd October 2012, 05:13

My location
You guys make me feel old! My first ship was Souter's 'Sheaf Arrow' around 50/51. Tough ship as peggy, but I did a few trips on her and grew up bloody quick!

Taff
Old 3rd October 2012, 09:18

My location
Greetings,

Tsell, my grandfather, Ernie Brennan, was chief steward in the Sheaf Arrow around about then, I vaguelly remember her coming into Hartlepool around that sort of time and him carrying me, a 3 or 4 year old with an arm in plaster.

Pat Thompson

Old 5th October 2012, 05:33

My location
Hi Pat, I can't say I remember a steward - it's a long time ago! She was only a couple of thousand tons and the deck crew were all Maltese. She was a tough ship for a young lad and being peggy made it worse, but I toughed it out and did a few trips on her. That first trip nearly ended it all after the hammering we took in the Bay of Biscay. We just made it home with a huge list and half full of water. Cheers

Taff
Old 5th October 2012, 08:24

Sheaf Arrow

Maritime memories.

Attachment 30633

Last edited by A.D.FROST; 18th July 2013 at 17:27..
Old 5th October 2012, 08:34

My location
Greetings,

A.D. Frost, thanks for sharing that photo. Presumably wartime shortages of white paint was the reason she just had the name "E Shepherd" on the bow (exclam)

Pat Thompson

Old 12th November 2012, 21:26
Department: Engineering
Active: 1969 - 2010

Docherty

Just to say hi to any ex souter employees.
It's been a long time I was active with Souter from 1969 to 1973 starting as a Deck cadet and then changed over to Engineer cadet

I sailed on Lindisfarne for my first trip was also on Cheviot, Scotish Wasa. Maiden voyage Dunstanburgh Castle.
Names from the past
Rob Latham, Ken Greest, Chris Mileham, Bob Paige, Keith Trantor, David Burkett, Tony Rawlinson, John Toker, Harry Dishman, and of course many others .
Left Souter and joined Kuwait shipping company / United Arab Shipping where I met many other friends .

I used to write articles as a cadet for the Souter Point, played guitar a bit.

Anyone around from that era?

Now I am more into Marine construction with large projects all over the place
Old 13th November 2012, 06:21

Hi

I think you were before my time. I did sail with Kenny Greest, Kieth Tranter, Tony Rawlinson, and John Toker

Tony and Davy Rouse once came up to the bridge with a case of tonic and a bottle of gin. They told me they were there to stand my anchor watch and a boat was ring ashore in 5 minutes. Went ashore and had a great time in Mangaratiba.

Always remember Kenny Greest telling about his activity with Trinity House. I asked him about how he joined he told me I couldn't. I couldn't become a freeman of the City of Newcastle first. To become a freeman I Had to by a sword and swear an oath to defend New Castle against marauding Scots.

Kieth was one off the most respected gentleman I ever sailed with and I still use one of his lines. " I don't have to tell anyone off of give them a blocking I just have to tell them its ok and they will beat themselves up more than I ever would".

I didn't see eye to eye with John Toker.

Last edited by Uricanejack; 13th November 2012 at 06:31..
Old 13th November 2012, 06:34

Hi there

Yes that's true hahahaha but nowadays we just let the scots in and charge them fees for entry to everything so no need for the sword any more .

and Yes I saw your posts and saw that you joined after I had left
Old 13th November 2012, 06:39

In Any case Kenny is South African so ... what can I say we don't just let anyone in to Newcastle he was a great guy tho.

He was on Lindisfarne when we stoved in the accommodation fwd with a freak wave going around Muckle FLugga. As I recall we had just left watch and were having a beer in the 3rds cabin I left to go to bed, when the porthole crashed in not a pretty sight is all I recall with glass shards all over, they lucky not be hurt
Old 13th November 2012, 07:08
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Active: 1958 - 2010

I played golf with a former Souter cadet..and then some.....Ray Smith,last week, he left for Esso and thereafter became a Tees Pilot.....nice man,good golfer...
Lives on Teesside still.
geoff
Old 2nd January 2013, 12:07
Active: 1977 - Present

Lots of memorable names being posted here. I worked for Souters/OSG from 77 - 07 primarily in the manning department with Vernon Charles, Peter Thompson, Ken Darvell, Lyn Fantozzi, Ray Nelson, Helen Kilkenny and Kate Small. I am now working for BW Fleet Management in Singapore. Happy New Year to you all best regards Len Harbottle
Old 2nd January 2013, 19:03

to docherty temember chief engineer chris milelem from seaham very well sailed first longstone then dunstanburgh castle far east then lindisfarne and cheviot some great runs sum bloody cold
Old 3rd January 2013, 02:01
Active: 1977 - Present

Unfortunately Keith Tranter died about two years ago only a few months into his retirement. Very sad as he was a thorough professional and a good bloke.
Old 3rd January 2013, 10:10

My location
One of the best engineers going Mr Tranter