Souter Shipping. Newcastle. - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
11:17

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Souter Shipping. Newcastle.

User Tag List

Old 10th January 2014, 20:53
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1984 - 2000

Blast from the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post
Hi Peter.
I was on the Equinox in Pondicherry. I think I remember you. I wouldn't have till I read your post. it was a long time ago.
I must have sailed with you. Were you a 3rd Engineer?
I was 3rd mate. I joined in Japan with the 4th. Joe?
Japan, Portland Oregon, Tacoma, Singapore Pondicherry
I think Richie Fenwick joined after you left.
Mad Mull was the 2nd.
The Chief. Alastair ?. had a bad time on There. Problems with a turbo in Tacoma.
Funny I can't remember which the Capt who relieved Dave Sandercock
C/O was ?
2nd Mate John ?

The R/O was really strange, even for an R/O
Hi
Yes you are right, I was fourth engineer. The Mate was Ray from Yorkshire , promoted to Master a couple of years later, a really good guy. Alastair was chief , and Mullen was second, he relieved cliff grey another super guy. I think Joe Byrne relieved me. Richie was third once again top class guy. The old man who relieved Dave was a bit stuck up, he described the route of the bulkers as a "liner " service because they followed a predictable route. I think you joined in Korea. John ? was second mate and R/O was Stevie from Cornwall and yes he was a bit strange but a gem of a bloke. Would I be right in suggesting that your name is Martin and a confirmed Geordie, please forgive me if I am wrong.
Regards Peter
I have to say some of the best craic I ever had was with Souters, even on that trip with all the trouble we had the sense of humour was ace.
Old 10th January 2014, 21:03
Active: 1984 - 2000

Quote:
Hi Peter.
I was on the Equinox in Pondicherry. I think I remember you. I wouldn't have till I read your post. it was a long time ago.
I must have sailed with you. Were you a 3rd Engineer?
I was 3rd mate. I joined in Japan with the 4th. Joe?
Japan, Portland Oregon, Tacoma, Singapore Pondicherry
I think Richie Fenwick joined after you left.
Mad Mull was the 2nd.
The Chief. Alastair ?. had a bad time on There. Problems with a turbo in Tacoma.
Funny I can't remember which the Capt who relieved Dave Sandercock
C/O was ?
2nd Mate John ?

The R/O was really strange, even for an R/O
Hi
I just noticed the Canadian flag, you are Scottish and were planning a life in Vancouver, apologies but I can visualise you and the lads but for the life of me I cannot remember your name. I presume you are living the dream in Canada.
Best Regards Peter O Donovan
Old 10th January 2014, 22:43
Department: Deck
Active: 1980 - Present

Hi Peter.

My names John.

I remember better now. like you I can often visualise but not quite put a name.
Yes I ended up in Vancouver. I married the Girl and left Souters and the sea about two years later.
Still married with grown up kids now. Working on the Local ferry. A lunch bucket sailor. I go home at night.

I can picture the Capt who relieved Dave. Ex P&O and rather stuck up . He was nice enough but he stuck out like a sore thumb amongst the Geordie's.
He had been with Souter's for years though and was well known.
I remember him trying to teach us all how to play bridge instead of crib.
He was getting really frustrated saying he was particularly good at bridge and couldn't understand why he lost all the time.
(When he was not looking we swapped our cards to make sure he lost)

It was a great bunch of guys.
did Joe join as a junior and then relieve you later.
I Remember Cliff Grey well. Steve the R/O was a nice guy I couldn't remember his name.
I can't picture Ray the Mate.

I enjoyed my time with Souters I was there for about 6 years.
For a while after I would get mistaken for a Geordie. I must have picked up a few words here and there. I never minded they were good to work with.

Hope life's been good to you as well.
I enjoyed my time with Souters.
Old 13th January 2014, 00:45

I remember a few names on here, top of the list, got to be the late Keith Tranter, perfect gentleman. I sailed with Keith when I joined the Equinox in Sines, Portugal 97. On there were, probably notremember everyone like, Len Andrews, John sadler, Dave"the leper" ormston ( brilliant bloke), stu Crawford, big Mick deignan, mark Sloan, cormac mcsweeney, Richard Spencer, Richard clish, . after that a few trips on the Matilde and chrismir and a few on the tankers, more names, Richard pursar, Ross butler, nick Atkinson, Paul Bennet, barwell p, Iain Shirley, I believe now the late John Pugh, the sparky from Cornwall, Steve somebody, weird one, ”fairies the bottom of my garden I have”, Ron xxxxxxx from shields, Alfie smith, ian Mullen, roly cordon, having to think now ..... Max someone, Kevin Hogg, Derek Davidson , Dave someone, lived in New Orleans, Steve alder, I am sure there was more, if I remember, I'll list them. One night always stands out, even now 17 years later and I have reminded dave the slick recently, first trip on the equinox, Dave and I finished at midnight and went on the piss right through till 8am ready for work again, absolutely wrecked the pair of us. I don't think Keith Tranter was too impressed but he had his own subtle way of dealing with things ! I think it was John sadler who joined us at 4am and there was a jock third mate as well but I can't remember who he was. Another bloke I remember, Martin someone from shields, sailed on the Nexus with James Fisher's briefly a few years later, well, drydock in Curacao anyway. Some good times, some **** times as well, it was Croatians we were replaced by. I remember being on the Matilde when Keith Tranter had to tell us they were coming, he was less than impressed.
Old 5th April 2014, 03:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffw0502 View Post
I remember a few names on here, top of the list, got to be the late Keith Tranter, perfect gentleman. I sailed with Keith when I joined the Equinox in Sines, Portugal 97. On there were, probably notremember everyone like, Len Andrews, John sadler, Dave"the leper" ormston ( brilliant bloke), stu Crawford, big Mick deignan, mark Sloan, cormac mcsweeney, Richard Spencer, Richard clish, . after that a few trips on the Matilde and chrismir and a few on the tankers, more names, Richard pursar, Ross butler, nick Atkinson, Paul Bennet, barwell p, Iain Shirley, I believe now the late John Pugh, the sparky from Cornwall, Steve somebody, weird one, ”fairies the bottom of my garden I have”, Ron xxxxxxx from shields, Alfie smith, ian Mullen, roly cordon, having to think now ..... Max someone, Kevin Hogg, Derek Davidson , Dave someone, lived in New Orleans, Steve alder, I am sure there was more, if I remember, I'll list them. One night always stands out, even now 17 years later and I have reminded dave the slick recently, first trip on the equinox, Dave and I finished at midnight and went on the piss right through till 8am ready for work again, absolutely wrecked the pair of us. I don't think Keith Tranter was too impressed but he had his own subtle way of dealing with things ! I think it was John sadler who joined us at 4am and there was a jock third mate as well but I can't remember who he was. Another bloke I remember, Martin someone from shields, sailed on the Nexus with James Fisher's briefly a few years later, well, drydock in Curacao anyway. Some good times, some **** times as well, it was Croatians we were replaced by. I remember being on the Matilde when Keith Tranter had to tell us they were coming, he was less than impressed.
You have a lot of familiar names there.
Nick Atkinson was a first trip cadet on the Trudy. When I met him. I took him skiing in thunder bay he wasn't to impressed to find out at the top of the mountain I didn't know how to ski. I pulled the same trick on Steve the Sparky the previous day he thought it was hilarious.

Nick, Steve, Mike Sands and I met four girls in New Orleans Steve hooked up with one and we lost him for a day. He went back to the US and met up with her again after we all signed off.
I heard he got married to her later and moved to US.

I think his name was Steve might have been Dave it was 25 years ago. The chap with faries was quite different.
Sparkies were always interesting.

The Red Bat was quite a carecter.

Trying to remember Tom's name I remember his nickname but won't post it because he didn't like it.
He had been a 3rd mate for donkies years but was 2nd mate when I sailed with him.

If any one has heard Of Mike Sands in recent years Id be interested
Old 17th July 2014, 15:52
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1964 - 1990

Looking for an old Geordie!

Hi - Did you ever sail with Brian Gray from Amble? He was in the Merchant Navy with Souters and I remember Vernon Charles - I am Brian's daughter

Quote:
Just curious if there are any old Geordies out there. I sailed with Souters from 1985 to 90. I just thought i would start this thread incase anyone had a computer. I had seen no mention of Souters Here.

Il mention a few names see if anyone remembers.

Vernon Charles. Called me asked if I wanted a job and said as long as I was not one of those long haired freaks with earings and green hair he had one for me. He hired me on a hand shake apart from the articles the only contract i ever had. he kept it better than any other employer I have had before or since.

Davie Rouse one of the nices gentelmen I ever sailed with.

Kenny Greest. he would were out a path on the Bridge pacing from side to side every morning. I learned a lot from him though.

Alan Clish and Tommy Lloyd . I doubt they are still around

Black Bob.

Ted Willson. I heard he Died.

Kid Currie. Matt Helm.

and lots of others.
Old 19th July 2014, 01:18

Hi
Sorry.
I don't remember the name but it sounds fammiliar.
Was he an Engineer?
Though I think we all remember Vernon Charles
Old 5th October 2014, 13:41
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1985

My location
Souters- "recent" history

By 1984 I had decided to give up my "career" at sea, having been on contract to Souters throughout my seagoing time from 1972 when I joined them as a deck cadet. This had seen the company change dramatically, from WA Souter to Souter Hamlet and Souter Shipping, but all still at the Regent Centre, Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne.

From December of '82,when I was part of the crowd recommissioning the Maritime Overseas Corporation (MOC) bulk carriers "Equinox" and "Esplanade" in Labuan, through '83 and '84 and to my last trip in "Equinox" to mid '85, I was in nothing but these two ships , except twice on the "Petrogas1" in Koh Sichang,Thailand

As I'd decided to part ways with the sea, and my next employment was fixed up, it was of little interest to me when Vernon Charles arrived at a port I now forget, to tell all the other contracted officers of upcoming changes-- to go to self-employed status under new contracts, I seem to recall based in the Far East, possibly H.K.....

It appears, as far as I can tell, that MOC morphed into OSG at some point, and that Souters was swallowed up into OSG. Indeed in hindsight this had probably already begun with MOC- but as I said I was little interested at the time, and being a "non-geordie" I never even went up to the Newcastle offices, doing all my business remotely by phone, so was "out of the loop".

A part (?) of Souters appears now to still be based in Newcastle, but managing OSG ships flagged in the Marshall Islands.

I'd be grateful if someone with knowledge of Souters' "recent" history, ie the past nearly 30 years, could give me a potted history/chronology, if not too much trouble? Ta.
Way out across the open seas
I hear them sing .........................
And sometime (I) think in all this world,the saddest thing to be
Old Admirals who feel the wind,and never put to sea "

Al Stewart, "Old Admirals", "Past Present & Future LP"
Old 6th October 2014, 10:20

Quote:
Hi
Sorry.
I don't remember the name but it sounds fammiliar.
Was he an Engineer?
Though I think we all remember Vernon Charles
He was Chief Engineer on Petrogas 1 and the Equinox - I can remember the day my Dad died, Charles turned up on the doorstep saying how sorry he was for our loss - I was 19, just off a train from London, a little drunk and full of attitude and I don't think I was particularly nice to him!
Old 5th November 2014, 06:58
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Medical

Hi My Father Douglas Stephenson Ch Eng served with souters until his retirement in 1987 . unfortunately he passed away on 31 August 2014 aged 81 .
if you are in contact with anyone who knew him will you let them know.
thank you Martin Stephenson (son).
Old 5th November 2014, 11:10

Hi - was your father known as "Dougie"? I have a great story about him from when I was a child if he did
Old 14th January 2015, 23:50
Active: 1973 - 1987

Ray was Ray taylor
Old 16th May 2015, 21:29

I was on the sheaf crest with Brian Grey, He was an engineer, and I was an electrical officer.

Also sailed on a couple of stolt ship, 1972 to around 1975
Old 2nd July 2015, 16:36

Hi all. I am new to this i stumbled across this forum wile doing some research for my great grandad marmaduke bentley. I know he usto attend the annual reunion and thats about all i know. It would be lovley if anyone has a story about him.

Tom
Old 3rd August 2015, 18:17
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1985

My location
Hi Tom.

I sailed briefly as 3rd Mate with "Duke" Bentley , to April 1979- he was Master of the "American Islander". He had come out , if I recall correctly, to Hong Kong to take over this rust-heap from the Acting Captain/1st Mate, who took temporary command in Japan after the illness of the previous Master, Ralphy Charlton

If you search the gallery and my posts, you'll find more ( and a few pics) about this container- feeder ship managed by Souters for United States Lines (now defunct).The ship was engaged in a feeder service with containers from Hong Kong to Manila and back- loads of lovely ripe mangoes as deck cargo!--all my fellow British officers stayed on after Manila,where I left the ship, but the Chinese crew were changed to philippino.

"Duke" was a bit of a legend in Souters, but this was my only time with him during my 13 years there, and I did not really get to know him much, so cannot really tell you much else I'm afraid.
Way out across the open seas
I hear them sing .........................
And sometime (I) think in all this world,the saddest thing to be
Old Admirals who feel the wind,and never put to sea "

Al Stewart, "Old Admirals", "Past Present & Future LP"
Old 3rd August 2015, 18:41

Hi,

Thanks very much for your reply

I have just had a conversation with my grandad he remembers the trip you mentioned.

He would love to come on and find some old shipmates but he is 87 now and struggles with technology.
Old 20th October 2015, 01:44

Hi
I haven't checked in recently, interesting to hear some old names.
Old 7th November 2015, 10:44
Active: 1981 - Present

Hello Everyone

A lot of names familiar to me on this thread.
I sailed with Brian Grey as a cadet on the Petrogas 1, along with Alan Clish, Richard Pursar, Stan Wiems, Eddie Davidson, Gary Rodaway, Brain Kinson ,Phil Curren was the Deck Cadet, great Lad. I can see the faces of the others but struggle with names off the top of my head. The trip on there was based in Kosichang Thailand, hard work but Party City, I wondered why everyone didn't want to go to sea! When I paid off I owed Souters money!but then I joined the Equinox in Redcar for my next trip and did 6 months and understood why!
I was last man standing from the old Souter lot with OSG, paid off the Overseas Everest March 2014 at Long Beach then being made redundant," farmer boy" Roy Elliot was Old Man but he paid off the week before me, we were being run from Athens then as the Newcastle office had closed.
I had some great times with Souters, and sailed with a load of great guys, or "Board of Trade Acquaintances" as Kid Currie used to say!

RMB
Old 7th November 2015, 21:44

Sad to hear Souter's have gone.
A few familiar names in your post Richard Purser was one I couldn't remember.
I think I do remember a third mate I used to relieve but never sailed with. Or Maybe a 4th I did sail with. He was known as Ballbags Butler.
Old 10th November 2015, 16:39

Yeah Mam used to pack my Dads pants!!!! good old 'y' fronts.
I seem to remember a Canadian 3rd mate, where you on the Esplanade 86-87, or maybe the Ulla, or Trudy?
I see you are living in Vancouver, did you ever sail with Stu Crawford? he lives in Vancouver now, he's a manager at some ship repair yard I believe.
The Old Man you were thinking of must be 'clever' Trevor Robinson, and the 2nd mates Tom Lawrie, I heard he had moved to Monaco.

Ross
Old 11th November 2015, 05:49

Yes Canadian 3rd mate actually from Glasgow but had a girl in Vancouver and married her.

Trudy and Esplanade. Trudy several times. Cleaver Trevor yeah I remember Him and Tom Laurie. I sailed with Tom a couple of times.

Stu Crawford? The names familiar. He might have been a Eng Cadet I sailed with. Matt Helm and I gave him a hot cross bun one night. We might have been drinking. If he is Vancouver at a ship yard I should be able to find out.
Did your wife used to sail with you?
Old 22nd January 2016, 02:54
Active: 1985 - Present

Noticed a lot of names blast from the past

Hi Everybody

Brought back great memories looking at the names in this forum, Souters was my first deepsea company started in 1996 till 1999 sailing on the following vessels.

Enterprise April 96 to June 96

Capt Ray Taylor,
Chief Engineer John Scott,
1st Mate Tom Meharry
1st Engineer Adam Brown
2nd Mate John Trousers
3rd Mate Kevin Taylor

Endeavor July 96 to Dec 96

Capt Rolly Cordon
Capt Richard Pursar
1st Mate Lenny Andrews
2nd Jimmy Gregg
3rd Mate Kevin Taylor

Exemplar Feb 97 to July 97

Capt Jerry Barrett
1st Mate Minty Tom

Leopardi July 98 to Aug 98
All Spanish had a great time first time round the Horn !

Matilde Sept 98 to Dec 98
Capt Bennet

Regal Unity March 99 to May 99

Chief Engineer Colin Thompson
1st Engineer Mel Greddell

I owe a lot to the friendship of Souters and step up they give me completing class 2/1 at South Tyneside and Masters Class 1 in 1999.

Last edited by Kevin_Taylor; 22nd January 2016 at 03:00..
Old 22nd January 2016, 09:38

a shot in the dark late 70's based in the Newcastle office, maybe one of souters eng supers?? any takers? I am looking for a name, please. A Newcastle lad, spent some time at Kings College doing a study on adding water injection-into diesel and boiler combustion of various fuels.
I was an understudy of this gent in 1974-76, and trying to recall old names from my past, this gent escapes me. Like all old codgers, I am gradually going dolally.
I have no specific reasons just curiousitty killed the cat??? Excuse spelling please???
Old 29th December 2016, 02:01

Its been a while since I checked in.
Saw a few more familiar names.
Still haven't managed to contact Stu.
Old 21st July 2017, 01:59

Same Here, Stu is still in Vancouver, I'm still at sea!!!!!!! will find out off my Missus where he is based, could take some time as she doesnt give a toss about any requests from me!!