Unusual souvenirs from BP Tankers - Ships Nostalgia
09:56

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Unusual souvenirs from BP Tankers

User Tag List

Old 5th August 2012, 22:51
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1977

Unusual souvenirs from BP Tankers

Apart from mugs, ashtrays etc what unusual mementoes do you have from your time with BP.
I'll start with this:-
A bridge wing thermometer

George
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0370 (462x800).jpg (296.4 KB, 162 views)

Last edited by GeorgeM13; 5th August 2012 at 22:55.. Reason: Small addition to text
Old 5th August 2012, 23:06
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
If the bridge wings on BP Tankers got up to temperatures approaching 130C I am glad I never joined them.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 5th August 2012, 23:13
Spongebob
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1961

George, I have an identical thermometer and when I posted it a year or two ago it was identified by some SN members as a tank thermometer used for dropping down sounding pipes.

Bob
Old 5th August 2012, 23:24
Department: Navigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post

George, I have an identical thermometer and when I posted it a year or two ago it was identified by some SN members as a tank thermometer used for dropping down sounding pipes.

Bob
Very similar if not identical to cargo thermometers used on general cargo vessels.
Howard
Old 6th August 2012, 00:35

Very possible that it was used at times for cargo but they were also pinned up somewhere outside the bridge for air temps. I remember on the Merlin checking the temp in some northern Swedish port and the red stuff had retreated to the bulb. It was cold!!
This type of gauge would not have fitted into a sample can.
George

Last edited by GeorgeM13; 6th August 2012 at 00:44..
Old 6th August 2012, 08:03

In memory with rose tinted specks, a good time, but not all the time was easy? The thermometer you quote is a sledge thermometer for the fridges? as quoted in the ER Stores ordering catalogue-Usually in copper with spirit rather than mercury? Did the bridge one have Max and min indicators and was it in mercury?
Old 6th August 2012, 19:59

Mine was a nice brass sign from above one of "British Corporal's" pumproom entrance doors, reading "Pumproom Entrance" (not unnaturally)

It spent a few years above the loo door at home until my wife tried to get rid of it. Now it just resides in a box of nick-nacks somewhere.
Old 6th August 2012, 21:50
Active: 1972 - 1979

Brass lifeboat lantern - the spherical sort which ran off colza oil and which I converted to electric and it lit my parents loft until I sold the house after they had died.
Also, a large brass key with the handle end cut out in the shape of an anchor in a circle and the locking end in the form of the numbers 21 - yes it was made for me for my 21st birthday and is still a highly treasured item. That would have been in 1975, and on the Aviator I think.
Old 6th August 2012, 22:41

My one, the thermometer that is, was from deck stores.
When the Valour was converted to a weather reporting ship in 1971 a Stevenson screen was fitted containing wet and dry thermometers. I always wondered how accurate and helpful our reports had been. Temps and pressure fine, we had a fancy barometer fitted, but cloud type, height etc was sometimes sheer guesswork.
George

Am now going to look for something else to photograph.
Old 7th August 2012, 10:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninabaker View Post
Brass lifeboat lantern - the spherical sort which ran off colza oil.
How on earth did you get THAT through the airport check-in???
Old 7th August 2012, 10:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeM13 View Post
My one, the thermometer that is, was from deck stores.
When the Valour was converted to a weather reporting ship in 1971 a Stevenson screen was fitted containing wet and dry thermometers. I always wondered how accurate and helpful our reports had been. Temps and pressure fine, we had a fancy barometer fitted, but cloud type, height etc was sometimes sheer guesswork.
George

Am now going to look for something else to photograph.
As it happens, by 1983 the Met Office was really casting around for British ships to become reporting ships and we on the "Fort Assiniboine" (No, that's NOT misspelt!) were fitted out in Tilbury. The Port Meteorological Officer was really chuffed to have a volunteer ship and stayed on board for lunch, to train the junior Officers and (mainly) have a natter. His view was that Brit ships were a very useful contribution to the whole mass of data. For me, the major plus was that the Deck Officers took their reporting a lot more seriously, actually watching the weather develop in the hours before each report. Now their logbook entries actually meant something!
Old 7th August 2012, 13:33
Active: 1970 - 1987

My location
The Met Office fitted out the Nordic Breeze in Southampton in October 1977.

I religiously sent in reports from world-wide and was 'rewarded' with a fantastic book on Worldwide Weather - hand signed by the author and bound in Met Office binding.

It was well worth the effort!!
Old 7th August 2012, 14:44

I was once told by a "Coloured Lady" (I think she was a virgin)she said it was free, but wanted money as a souvenir.
Old 7th August 2012, 15:53
Active: 1968 - 1986

How about these two.

I recall an engineer telling me that for whatever reason they had someone from the office going round to their house, and the had to rush round concealing the ash trays and BP towels, the towels were good, but the ashtrays???
Also the story of the old mans wife who used to sit and take the BP threads out out of the blankets so that she could take them home.

2G
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vac cert.jpg (107.0 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg movement.jpg (144.7 KB, 218 views)

Last edited by twogrumpy; 7th August 2012 at 16:03..
Old 8th August 2012, 00:03

A couple of shots of another momento from the Sergeant not looking its best but one day I will get round to rewiring and getting a new shade for it.
Probably looks better hanging from a veneered bulkhead. I don't think the gimbal was much use. My brother admired it and kept it for some years till his death when I reclaimed it but will not part with it again as it is a great symbol of a bygone age and great part of my life.
George
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0372 (598x800).jpg (385.8 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0374 (598x800).jpg (376.9 KB, 125 views)

Last edited by GeorgeM13; 8th August 2012 at 00:09.. Reason: Missing attachments
Old 8th August 2012, 00:25
Active: 1972 - 1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by xieriftips View Post
How on earth did you get THAT through the airport check-in???
Good point and I am blowed if I can remember where I paid off that ship. Nothing was xrayed then so I guess they wouldnt know what was in your cases.

I also recall that the chief steward decided to chuck out some past their best BP towels and a I had a few slightly threadbare ones with the blue or red writing woven through. Used them for years.
Old 8th August 2012, 02:56

My location
Btc Things

I have a few things, brass swinging lamp, square ash tray, the inside comes out. tea spoon with BTC on it and oh yes a mug with BTC on it...
Old 8th August 2012, 03:28
Active: 1955 - 1962

I cannot believe I left BP with such few pilfered artifacts, naturally I have one of the large Mugs, two packs of cards and as a lowly Engineer apprentice during the laying up of the Empress in 1959 lusted after the Engineroom clock, to no avail. Spare piston ring might have been available.

However whilst in Kingston Ontario in 1998 was given a vintage chrome plated Seth Thomas Ships bell clock which is much more fun.

It does get a bit wearing ringing bells every half hour up to a max of 8 bells every end of watch, never had that feature on any British tanker I was on, it would have been thrown overboard!

Graham
Old 8th August 2012, 05:40
Spongebob
Active: 1957 - 1961

The only perk that I can remember taking was a couple of Union Co towels, they were a good quality toweling and lasted for years.

Bob
Old 8th August 2012, 08:49
Ex marine truck driver
Active: 1968 - 1992

On one ship (forget which) the saloon bell was binned because the spindle thingy that held the clapper snapped. I took it home and fixed it and it is still tucked away on an end shelf of my bookcase. With hindsight, you'd think one of the engineers could have fixed it on board. I also have a couple of the old CEAG lamps that were used for firefighting teams. They held lead acid batteries that had to be regularly charged. When the miners headlamps were introduced, I snaffled a couple of the CEAGs. Sheesh, they're heavy! Think I might still have one of those chrome ashtrays with all the holes in them.

Last edited by tugboat; 8th August 2012 at 08:52..
Old 8th August 2012, 21:26
Department: Navigation
Active: 1969 - Present

Sad but true, I have got a mangled old copy of "Lecky's Danger Angles and Distance Off Tables" which were being binned on one ship. Written by Captain Lecky, who wrote "Lecky's Wrinkles in Navigation", they are amazingly accurate and give you your distance off far mountain peaks by vertical Sextant angle (Cape Horn, Cape of Good Hope, Indian Ocean, South American Coast etc). Still a good check, even in the age of Satellites. Captain Lecky writes that they give you the confidence in your position so that you can turn back in to put another "Calk" in your bunk. :-)
Old 8th August 2012, 22:08
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1966 - 1986

A huge house flag which I still use to protect the floor when painting.
Old 8th August 2012, 22:33

J Cloths, lots of them over the years!
Old 9th August 2012, 14:51
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1977 - 1987

Numerous bp towels and a full red ensign happy days
Old 9th August 2012, 17:09
Active: 1970 - 1987

My location
Ditto the Ensign - I have a 15 yarder in the attic - from the Br Admiral + a BP House flag .... + a set of BP teaspoons somewhere, still all boxed up .. plus a BP tie of course!!