What happened to Hunting's - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
19:00

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

What happened to Hunting's

User Tag List

Old 3rd September 2008, 09:04

My time in Huntings

Hello All ex Huntings lads, Just found this web site, I have often wondered what happened to Huntings, and reading the various messages certainly brings back some memories.

I joined Huntings in 1967 as a fresh faced 16 year old, was interviewed by Tommy Shanks and sent down to Franks on Dean Street near to the Hunting Offices in Milburn House, to get a uniform (waste of time cos I only wore it about twice). I joined as an Engineering Apprentice. I sailed on the Wearfield (Bulk); Teesfield (Tanker); Forthfield (Tanker); Thamesfield (Tanker) and the dreaded Tyne Bridge - I left the company in 1973 after the fire in the Tyne Bridge which gutted the engine room in Valparaiso, we were stuck on the ship with no power for a couple of weeks, till about 10 Swan Hunters Electricains arrived to rewire the engine room. We still had 167,000 tons of crude on board, but eventually discharged this and sailed to Brazil to load with iron ore, off to Cape Town for bunkers and up to Japan for dry dock and fix the lump properly - what a trip, I've still got a letter from Huntings sending me a cheque for £5 hardship money and thanking us for our efforts in saving the ship. I also have copies of all the fleet magazines from around 67-73 which list all the ship locations and crews. In the previous thread i do remember a lot of the names, it would be nice to hear from anyone who remembers me? Regards to all Larry.
Old 3rd September 2008, 10:48
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1960 - 1990

huntings

sailed with a chief engineer from then alan millar a scot did you know him kev.
Old 3rd September 2008, 14:27

Yes I also sailed with Alan Miller and his brother Ronnie Miller, Ronnie was a real stickler, he used to set me written questions about marine engines, and when he had his wife on board, after my watch make me fill the pool via the condensors so that it was warm - took ages!
Old 4th September 2008, 13:19
Department: Engineering
Active: 1965 - 1987

Happy years with Huntings

I was with Huntings from Apprentice in 1965 until I left in 1979. I have many happy memories (even those of all my time on Tyne Bridge).Reading this forum has brought them all flooding back.Many of the names mentioned here are fondly remembered,all too many now departed.Anyone interested in chattting over old times please contact me.
Regards to all
Peter
Old 4th September 2008, 13:21

Up until the last time I spoke to Mike Simpson (at the end of 2007,Tommy Shanks was still going!!!
Peter
Old 4th September 2008, 17:19

Hi I remember John Conlon from my days on the Duffield, and as for Capt Fuller, wonderfull man from my days on the Coral Venture
Thanks for the memory
Ken Gibson
Old 4th September 2008, 17:20

Anyone remember Cpt Shakey Blakey
Old 4th September 2008, 19:26
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1964 - 2001

Ken

I remember Captain Blackie was Master of the Teesfield for a number of voyages into Stanlow.
Had his wife with him and a nice chap to get on with.
Also remember Captain Pugsley, real broad Cornishman looked like Captain
Birdseye and a very bubbly kind of character.

Regards
Keith
Old 5th September 2008, 08:27

Shakey Blakey,Porky Muir,Pugwash,"Gentleman" John Newbold,Ian Thain, Tappy,"Golden ********" Don Robertson the list just goes on!!!
Old 5th September 2008, 08:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietman View Post
Can anyone supply a picture of the tyne bridge I sailed on her in 79. The ship was in a poor state but Huntings were really good to me and even offered to fly my fiance out to Italy to meet me as I was soon to get married.
Have lots of photos and will post them when I have scanned them.Did you join in Livorno in drydock? I rememer the storm and the ship surging up the jetty,dectroying the bulbous bow!
Old 5th September 2008, 14:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Cheseldine View Post
Up until the last time I spoke to Mike Simpson (at the end of 2007,Tommy Shanks was still going!!!
Peter
I remember you Peter you joined a ship i was either on or leaving, crikey Tommy Shanks must be about 300 he was old in the sixties, good for him though, i also remember Mike Simpson. Regards
Old 5th September 2008, 15:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Heslop View Post
I remember you Peter you joined a ship i was either on or leaving, crikey Tommy Shanks must be about 300 he was old in the sixties, good for him though, i also remember Mike Simpson. Regards
I joined Tyne Bridge at Valparaiso after the fire.Plenty scrap copper.
Old 6th September 2008, 10:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Cheseldine View Post
I joined Tyne Bridge at Valparaiso after the fire.Plenty scrap copper.
Thats right we made our way up to Japan together. Tyne Tees TV just after the Derbyshire sank made a film about the OBO's built at Haverton Hill - the Tyne Bridge featured a lot, all about the beam that stopped short of the engine room which was a designed in weak point probably the cause of a least two of the sister ships being lost - i remember taking the oil tank temperatures in the double bottom shaft that ran the length of the ship and hearing a lot of creaking and groaning - could have been the start of it!
Old 8th September 2008, 10:19

hi, thats some number of names mensioned thats something i could never do all the time i was at sea apart from lads i sailed with from my home port it was always jock, paddy, taffy, geordie or such like although i must have sailed with someone on site. cheers, albert.si.
Old 17th September 2008, 13:01

Huntings

Some of the best times of my life were when I was sailing with Huntings and or at cpllege in South Shields getting may tickets.

I remember sailing with Pete on the Tyne Bridge., Jimmy Fatkin, Fred Hardy and all those engineers with very few deckies. I paid off the Tyne Bridge at Cape Town before she went across the water to South America, wasn't I lucky.

Pete one of your old running mates from the RGS sends his regards - Treetop Taylor - he lives in Tasmania ladn comes across on holiday now and then.

All the best to anyone who remembers me and I've a few photos of the Thamesfiled ( tanker) Coral Venture and Argyll that I'll post when I get time.

Cheers Lenny Kennedy
https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/images/smilies/pint1.gif
Old 17th September 2008, 13:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantramp View Post
1981 Ropner Holdings Ltd who owned a 29%share in Stag Line sold their shares to Hunting who then made a bid for Stag Line . This was accepted by the Stag Line directors and Stag LIne became became a wholly owned subsidiary of Hunting Gibson Ltd. April 1981 Hunting Stag Management Ltd was set up in Newcastle to absorb the sea going and shore staff of the two companies and to manage the Hunting and Stag Line fleets.
Hunting Stag Management Ltd was sold in July 1982 to James Fisher & Sons Barrow The price included Thamesfield and a Stag Line coasterThamesfield was registered under James Fisher & Sons from the 1st July 1984 and the Newcastle office of Hunting Stag Management Ltd was closed in March 1985 and moved to Barrow bringing to an end the shipping interests of the Hunting fleet.
A different aspect of the company which came to light during research into Cayzer, Irvine / B&C Group

Hunting Air Travel was founded at Gatwick Airport in 1945, and by 1947 was offering chartered flights to and from British and Continental Airports, and in 1950 was chartered by the UK Government to fly troops from the UK to Africa.
The company was continually seeking ways in which to expand and in 1952 offered New Safari service in Association with Airworks, the service carried holidaymakers from the UK to Nairobi and return.
Clan Line was continually seeking new ventures to invest in especially those which allowed them to diversify their business and in 1953 purchased the complete share issue of Hunting Air Travel and renamed the company Hunting-Clan Air Transport. In the same year the company was the first independent airline company to join the newly founded I.A.T.A.
The company started to expand its routes and in 1954 offered cheap flights on the Newcastle to Copenhagen route, with expansion successful the company relocated from Gatwick to Heathrow in 1955. Also in the same year a new service weekly Africargo service was introduced in co-operation with B.O.A.C. and Airworks, the service operated between the UK and Africa, also new services were introduced between the UK and Gibraltar, services were also extended to fly between the UK and Hong Kong.
The UK Government chartered the company aircrafts to carry troops between the UK –Nicosia, Aden Nairobi.
In 1960 the company name was changed to British United Airways (BUA) after the merger between Hunting-Clan and Airworks and in 1965 the company took over the B.O.A.C routes between the UK and South America. In 1964 a fleet replacement programme commenced when VC-10s began flying to Africa replacing the ageing DC-6s and Bristol Britannia, becoming BUA standard long haul aircraft. BUA also took over routes from the British and South American Airways and a VC-10 was ordered and placed on the route.
Despite the apparent success BUA was suffering from severe financial problems and in 1970 the merger between BUA and the Scottish independent airline, Caledonian Airways was announced. The merger was justified on many grounds as both companies were of similar size and with duplicated routes (where have we heard that before?). For a short period the new company was known as Caledonian / BUA, before eventually being rebranded British Caledonian. At the same time B.O.A.C and B.E.A were discussing a merger eventually forming British Airways in 1972.
Five years later Caledonian Airways and BUA merged to form Caledonia-BUA Airline, and in 1972 the name was changed to British Caledonian Airways (BCAL). Eventually BCAL was taken over by B.A. and became part of British Airways network but is used mainly on their holiday charter networks.
Old 11th November 2008, 01:42

Hi all,
Just found this thread and it brings back memories.
I joined the new Thamesfield at Tilbury on July 4th 1978 and first trip engine cadet. Steve Harrison went back to college. Ross Aspden was deck cadet at the time. C/Eng was Ronnie Miller, 2/E Tommy Walsh , 3/E Gordon Hansen.
Also sailed on the Argyl / Beseggen / Thorseggen / Albright Explorer / Albright Pioneer. Good times.
Other names I remember are:
Leckies - Ian McCooey / Mick Rafferty / Jimmy Dickson / Kev Naylor
Engineers - Don Knot / Gordon Brown / Mel Gates / Frank Cooke / John Craddock / Alan Grey / Davey and Stevie K(e)ay / Wille Walton

Last edited by mclennan; 11th November 2008 at 01:47..
Old 12th November 2008, 16:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclennan View Post
Hi all,
Just found this thread and it brings back memories.
I joined the new Thamesfield at Tilbury on July 4th 1978 and first trip engine cadet. Steve Harrison went back to college. Ross Aspden was deck cadet at the time. C/Eng was Ronnie Miller, 2/E Tommy Walsh , 3/E Gordon Hansen.
Also sailed on the Argyl / Beseggen / Thorseggen / Albright Explorer / Albright Pioneer. Good times.
Other names I remember are:
Leckies - Ian McCooey / Mick Rafferty / Jimmy Dickson / Kev Naylor
Engineers - Don Knot / Gordon Brown / Mel Gates / Frank Cooke / John Craddock / Alan Grey / Davey and Stevie K(e)ay / Wille Walton
Welcome to the thread -I also sailed on the Thamesfield around 1970/71 so a bit before your time, i also new Ronnie Miller he only had one eye as i recall, Tommy Walsh was a 4th when i sailed with him, Gordon Hansen was a professional 3rd it think, Don Knot and Gordon Brown were both chief's i sailed with - good old days eh!!
Old 14th February 2009, 10:02
Active: 1972 - 1979

I remember you Larry--Were you on Thamesfield in 72 with "Chunky" Marshall, JJ Rustumji etc--I joined as a 1st trip Jnr in Botany Bay with the C/E George Fairlie

Jim D

Old 14th February 2009, 13:28
Active: 1972 - 1979

Whatever happened to Charlie gashbucket Dodds ?

Jim D

Old 4th March 2009, 14:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossaspden View Post
Tommy conducted my first interview in a pub round the corner from the offices - I was only 16 and remember getting drunk before being offered the position - I was put on the train back to Manchester and fell asleep, missing my stop and ending up in Liverpool !! Great memories . Cheers Ross
You'll probably find that the pub was the Empress.Huntings did a lot of their business in there at lunch times.Particularly Tommy Shanks and tommy west.Many good debrief sessions remembered!!!
Old 6th March 2009, 11:52
Active: 1978 - 1990

I sailed with Tommy Armstrong (Master) and Mike Kelley (3/0) when with Ropners. Thirlby and Lackenby.
Old 20th March 2009, 10:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupertthebear27 View Post
I remember you Larry--Were you on Thamesfield in 72 with "Chunky" Marshall, JJ Rustumji etc--I joined as a 1st trip Jnr in Botany Bay with the C/E George Fairlie
Yes - I was on in 72 with the guys you mention - what's your proper name as no doubt i will remember you too? Regards Larry
Old 6th April 2009, 11:59

Has anyone got a photo of the ss.Alnfield [ex ss.Sello Rojo]. It was a Liberty ship converted into a self discharging bulk grain carrier. We mainly hauled rice from Sacramento to Okinawa and Japan although we did do one trip with grain out of Vancouver BC. I joined it in Stockton CA in 1964 and served 14 months.
Old 29th April 2009, 09:06

my grandad was Marshall Friskney 111