Oregon Steamships - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
22:27

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Oregon Steamships

User Tag List

Old 15th November 2007, 12:47
Catering 1958 - 2007
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1958 - 2007

Hi Steve
I joined the Lutetian in M'Boro in 73 Ch.Stwd I think you were still a deck cadet shortly promoted to 3/M. Ernie Walters - Peter McGovern -Antoinne Bamber Master and Mates. Ernie Chapman Bosun Gunnar Skibusts Ab and so forth. Had a great time with that company 73 till 77 when it ceased trading except for the coaster (Londoner) remember you and your wife Jane.

Regards Ray

Last edited by Ray Mac; 15th November 2007 at 12:58..
Old 15th November 2007, 21:57

Hello Steve,
I was on the Lawrentian in 1974 when she ran aground in the Baltic,we ended up in dry dock at Swan Hunters on the Tyne.At the end of dry dock I was transfered to the Lutetian as 4th eng.then promoted to 3rd eng. A lot of the
names escape me,Captain McGovern,Sid Gibs 2nd eng,and of course your self
Steve Woodword 3rd.Officer I believe.We put a hold fire out together in Durben S.Africa. As I remember you Liked loud music in those days.
All the Best Kenny.
Old 16th November 2007, 02:27

My location
Hi Kenny

Is this YOU taken during one of the parties in my cabin.
Forgotten about the fire in Durban, bad night that, think I still have a picture or two of it somewhere.
There are qite a few pics of the lads on the Lutetian in the mebers faces - just search Lutetian
Steve
Old 16th November 2007, 19:35

Hi Steve.
Thats me, dont recall the other chap though.I do remember Mr.A.Bamber 2nd mate.
kenny.
Old 16th November 2007, 20:37

My location
Hi Kenny - glad I got the name correct - some of the grey cells still work!
Thats Ray McCeery the Ch Stwd, and that is probably Sue Norman, Dave Norman the second mates missus sat next to you.
Ray has come up with some names higher up the thread.
Steve
Old 17th November 2007, 10:10
Catering 1958 - 2007

Hi Steve - a few more names from the past, from the Lutetian Capts Ern & Edna. A.Leyland.R.Mudd. cannot remember the one that did the voyage to the gulf then on to Borneo think he was a Thames Pilot. Also a Capt Richardson. C/Os P.McGovern. S.Al Rudaini. M.McCourt. M.Fish. C/E D.Hughes. R.Black. D.Fourkes. Bill Templeman was the 2nd Stwd. Alex Fingers Burnett D/M. and a chap that had salad cream with his kippers for b'fast.

Ray
Old 17th November 2007, 17:47

My location
Good stuff Ray, the pilot employed for the single trip was Frank Richardson, he was post Ernoe and pre Richard T Mudd. ( He and Mike Courts were ex court line I think).
Remeber c/o Mike Fish - believe he was ex Harmattan, seemed to drink like a fish as well.
Dont rember the kippers and saland cream guy - not one of your specials was it!
Steve
Old 17th November 2007, 18:20
Catering 1958 - 2007

Hi Steve

Richard T Mudd and M Court ex Watts Watts. Mike Fish ex RN Fgn Masters certificate of service. one trip.Arthur Leyland got rid of him and he seemed to appear 6 months later when Ernie was skipper chased away. Kenny will tell you who liked salad cream on his kippers yuk. Kromeskies and chillie sauce love them Ray
Old 17th November 2007, 22:30

Hi Steve,
Didnt recognize Ray on the first photo(he looked well -issed)new it was Sue
though and Ray on other photos.By the way thanks for the help & memories.
All the best Ken.
Old 11th March 2008, 00:16

Hi Steve, Dont Know if you remember me, I was at Trinity House with you and joind the Oregon a year or two later. Sailed on the Lawrentian for years until she was sold. Left her in Japan in 75/76. Also did a couple of trips on the Lutetian with Sam Rudaini, Ertnie Walters and a couple of the other die hards. Hope you are well.
Ian Bahn
Old 11th March 2008, 01:07

Oregon Ships

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Woodward View Post
I am trying to contact anyone who worked for or has memories of Oregon steamships and their three ships, Londoner, Lutetian and lawrentian
Rgds
Steve Woodward
Hi Steve,

Here is a pic of the LAWRENTIAN. Taken in the early 70's. Probably 71/72, Topping off with grain prior to sailing for Rotterdam from Canada.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LAWRENTIAN0001.jpg (94.6 KB, 91 views)
Old 11th March 2008, 09:53

My location
Ian Good shot of her,
yes I can just remember you from that far back, I left THNS the year after you and joined the Lutetian with John Lavarack another THNS cadet.
Never sailed on the Lawrentian but visited her a couple of times in Liverpool, Larry Shipman was the mate, cant remeber who else was on at that time, John did a couple of trips on the Lawretian, met him for coffee a few months ago, funny I dont remember two old fat guys joining a cargo ship in 1970!
It was quite a coincidence in Liverpool as all three ships were in port together, Lutetian, Lawrentian and the Londoner ( second one).
Steve

Last edited by Steve Woodward; 11th March 2008 at 09:57..
Old 11th March 2008, 10:14

dom

'scuse me butting in,read the post with Capt.Mudd from Watts Watts is he the same Capt from the Windsor,not a happy trip that trip
Old 11th March 2008, 10:20

My location
Dom,
Sounds likely - full name Richard T Mudd, he was a large square set man, usually sailed with a mate called Mike Court when working for Oregon
Steve
Old 26th March 2008, 18:11

Lutetian

Steve,

Pic I have of LUTETIAN.

Ian Bahn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lutetian0001.jpg (185.9 KB, 78 views)
Old 26th March 2008, 20:29

My location
Hi Ian,
I have a copy of that shot- i think it's a sky-fotos shot, we had just left the Tyne post drydock and had loaded steel products for venezuela - Porto Cabello - an excellent trip 1972 ish - Did you manage to contact John L
Steve
Old 3rd June 2008, 17:22

Sent you a quick e-mail to your private address, hope you receiive it okay.

Keith Dodds - Ex Oregon way back when !
Old 28th August 2008, 21:14

My location
Thumbs up Memories

Hi Steve, Barney et al.
I joined the Lutetian in Liverpool Nov '73 as cadet. Sam was the Mate, Antoine 2nd mate and Ernie was skipper. Can't remember what I was called then, probably 'Paddy'. I remember Steve's wife sewing stars on the red duster going into Auckland once as we didn't have courtesy flag on board. (I think the stars blew off at some stage, but what the hell!)
Barney, I still owe you a pint for bailing me out in Hull all those years ago! Great to browse this thread and see the names again, a real blast from the past. Hope ye are all well and prospering.
Old 28th August 2008, 21:43

My location
Mairtin,
Hi nice to here from you, I'd forgotten about my wife sewing that flag, slight mess up in the supply flag, wed got on Oz flag, not sure if anyone would have noticed !!!
Steve
Old 28th August 2008, 22:00
Catering 1958 - 2007

Hi Mairtin are you the Deck cadet that was on the Lutetian when I had my wife and boys on? Ray ex Ch.Stwd

Barny I think I sailed on the Lawrentian when you were 3rd/Mate and you had your wife for the voyage. Constanza then Canada for Birkenhead with grain. Skipper a South African I think he had his wife for the voyage as well.
Old 29th August 2008, 09:18

My location
Hi Guys! Yes I was deck cadet then. Joined Liverpool Tate and Lyle berth. We had to wait two weeks then for discharge, times have certainly changed!
We headed for London then Bremen, Aquaba, Seychelles, East Africa coast, Mauritius for sugar and back to Liverpool. What a trip for a cherry boy! I did another stint on Lutetian then, down to New Zealand for partying and flew home from there for nautical college. I had a trip on Lawerentian after that and she ended up being sold in China. I was moved to Buries Markes.
Andy Dawson was cadet with me in those days; He's an estate agent in Manchester now. Haven't meet up with him for years now. John Mellish was cadet at same time, last I heard he was working with Motorola in France. Do you guys remember a party in Opua (North Island, NZ) with all those farmer-stevedores? I think I was the only one left on board that night. Many bad heads in the morning.
Hope you are both keeping well. I'm living in Co. Kerry now, working with computers during the winter and driving a passenger ferry during the summer. Nice arrangement and far from the madding crowd.

Take care,
Old 29th August 2008, 20:35

My location
Mairtin,
Remember the party in Opua well, it was the chartiy ball for the local fire brigade ( Russel town) if I remember correctly. We had one hell of a night, there was a late night / early morning ferry put on to get us back, all went well except the ferry driver had been at the same party we had!
After leaving us he took the ferry back but forgot to put the ignition keys in their 'usual' spot so no ferry in the morning and a very late start to cargo work as no dockers. If you look in the gallery there is a picture of the Lutetian at Opua, it was taken by one of the AB's who was a keen photographer and developed them on board, he gave a copy to most if not all on board. A really great guy, sadly I cannot remember his name.
Steve
Old 10th February 2009, 16:20

Hi everyone,

I don't know if anyone is still reading this thread (inactive since...August 2008) but I wanted to join just to throw in a bit of information.

Some of the posts were talking about a Captain Pease of the Londoner and then his son David Pease. Unless I'm mistaken (and I don't think I am), Captain Pease in question is my Grandpa and David Pease is my father.

I don't really have much about the ships to contribute (unfortunately I'm too young to have been involved with them), but I wanted to say that I enjoyed looking at the pictures and reading the stories regarding the ships (and people) with whom my family was involved. Any additional photos of the ship or crew would be much appreciated.
Old 10th February 2009, 21:04

My location
Doug,
Welcome to the site, cant be many D Pease's on the crew lists in Oregon
Steve
Old 8th March 2009, 22:13

Yes Steve I remember Ken Hairs. We had docked in Rotterdam and I came home for a few days via the Hook and Kingscross, Anyway on my way back to Kingscross the Tube I was on broke down and was stuck in the tunnel. On eventually arriving in Kingscross the Boat Train had gone. I telephoned the Office and they rushed me in a Taxi, with the Ships Papers to Heathrow to catch a Flight, but I could not fly to Rotterdam I had to go to Antwerp. I then had the problem of getting from Antwerp to Rotterdam, in time for the Ship sailing. So I went to the Police and explained I was carrying very important Ships Papers. They took me in a Police Car all the way to Rotterdam and I managed to get on board in time to sail.

Take care

Ray