Ian McMillan - Ships Nostalgia
22:06

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Ian McMillan

User Tag List

Old 18th August 2014, 17:37

Ian McMillan

Anyone know of or sailed with Ian McMillan during his time as an Engineer at BP Shipping.

He passed away recently and there was an interesting obituary on his life recently posted in "The Guardian"

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2...4/ian-mcmillan
Old 18th August 2014, 23:40
Department: Engineering
Active: 1955 - 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariad View Post
Anyone know of or sailed with Ian McMillan during his time as an Engineer at BP Shipping.

He passed away recently and there was an interesting obituary on his life recently posted in "The Guardian"

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2...4/ian-mcmillan
I am really rather shocked , I thought I would be able to say a few positive lines about Ian McMillian a 1972BP Engineering Cadet, at Soton 1972/74, at sea as an EC and also as an Engineering Officer.

Unfortunately I have nothing on file about him , I know two other 1972 EC intake at Soton who mentioned fellow BP Cadets, but never a mention of him. It was stated 1972 EC intake at Soton went to sea July 1974 then came shoreside jan 1975 for 12 months. (and then went back as EC's/ AJE's 1976 to complete their time?)

No sign of him in any Crew lists but I will keep looking.

I'm lost for words....almost!

Incidentally in September issue of UK 'Ships Monthly'(page 7) is a photo/article of the Waverley's 40th Anniversary, a gift from Caledonian MacBrayne and all the rework done on her over the years.

She is a really odd paddlesteamer with two funnels abeam of each other , not fore and aft. But them maybe port boiler port engine Stbd boiler stbd engine? bit of a problem if one boiler fails.... but then there would be crossover connection.

Graham
Old 19th August 2014, 23:47
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1972 - 1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Wallace View Post

Incidentally in September issue of UK 'Ships Monthly'(page 7) is a photo/article of the Waverley's 40th Anniversary, a gift from Caledonian MacBrayne and all the rework done on her over the years.

She is a really odd paddlesteamer with two funnels abeam of each other , not fore and aft. But them maybe port boiler port engine Stbd boiler stbd engine? bit of a problem if one boiler fails.... but then there would be crossover connection.

Graham
Lovely old Waverley - trips "doon the Watter" frae the Broomielaw etc
Now berths at the Pacific Quay (BBC berth) and still struggling on.

I was on board just a few weeks back when the Trades House of Glasgow chartered her for an evening charity cruise. Delightful evening with jazz band and wandering minstrels playing trad scottish music. Bought a couple of tea mugs which look like her funnels.

She is really struggling for money - the surveys and repairs are pretty expensive at that age.

nina
Old 21st August 2014, 17:40
Active: 1970 - 1987

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninabaker View Post
Lovely old Waverley - trips "doon the Watter" frae the Broomielaw etc
Now berths at the Pacific Quay (BBC berth) and still struggling on.

I was on board just a few weeks back when the Trades House of Glasgow chartered her for an evening charity cruise. Delightful evening with jazz band and wandering minstrels playing trad scottish music. Bought a couple of tea mugs which look like her funnels.

She is really struggling for money - the surveys and repairs are pretty expensive at that age.

nina
A good reason to join the PSPS - Paddle Steamer Preservation Society!

Just back from a trip of Dartmouth - Totnes - Dartmouth on the 'Kingswear Castle' with a neighbour whose Great Uncle designed the engine on her back in 1904! (Herbert Henry Cox)
The PSPS bought her for 600 originially and have spent plenty of money & time restoring her to her former glory.

The 'Waverley' is also one of their cared for vessels.
Old 21st August 2014, 19:28

Hi Grahame. "Funnels abeam of each other"...!!!!!??? Built with double ended coal fired boiler, hence two funnels, in line F&A. Now with single oil fired unit to forward funnel; after one a vent. Diagonal triple expansion engine driving single paddle shaft.
Ian McMillan was a remarkably talented and resourceful engineer who brought great intelligence and ingenuity to the business of the operational preservation of the ships associated with PSPS. BR had given up on 'Shanklin' yet he rebuilt one of her engines and got her machinery back to BoT passenger carrying standards as "Prince Ivanhoe". (Alas, incompetence on the bridge caused her grounding and premature demise.) Undaunted, with "Balmoral" he kept her long-out-of-production Sirron engines going for many years, arranging for new parts to be manufactured from the original blueprints ( decaying microfilms of which were found in a tin in someone's garage!) and successfully carried through her eventual engine transplant with Grenaa units. He masterminded the Waverley rebuild (for which I believe he won awards and professional acclaim) and of all those involved in the operational preservation of these ships his contribution was a critical and outstanding one. A sad loss indeed.
Old 21st August 2014, 19:30

The photograph of the 'Waverley' gives the wrong impression, the Funnels are For and Aft, I was sorry to hear of his death as I met him some years ago when he came to see me about the rebuild.

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel
Old 21st August 2014, 23:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadburn View Post
The photograph of the 'Waverley' gives the wrong impression, the Funnels are For and Aft, I was sorry to hear of his death as I met him some years ago when he came to see me about the rebuild.
Yup , I realised later it was a foolish statement about the funnels. Should have read the article about her engine first, both paddle wheels on ONE continuous shaft, turning circle must have been'interesting'.

I remember as a kid on the rental paddle boats in the local park, flat bottomed boat and each paddle had a individual crank, now that was some turning circle and at some speed. Also the added advantage of tilting the boat over and wetting others with the partially out of the water paddle blades. That was in Inwood Park, Hounslow, bet it has changed now.

However this guy really is an enigma I'm having a devil of a time finding anything about him. 1972 BP EC's at Soton cannot remember him. Crew lists are a nightmare as sometimes only one initial is used, luckily he had two, but then there are typing errors! Parents who named their children A Brown, A. Smith are not high up on my list!

Nice to see someone knows him.

Still searching.

Graham
Old 27th August 2014, 15:51
Ex marine truck driver
Active: 1968 - 1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekhore View Post
A good reason to join the PSPS - Paddle Steamer Preservation Society!

Just back from a trip of Dartmouth - Totnes - Dartmouth on the 'Kingswear Castle' with a neighbour whose Great Uncle designed the engine on her back in 1904! (Herbert Henry Cox)
The PSPS bought her for 600 originially and have spent plenty of money & time restoring her to her former glory.

The 'Waverley' is also one of their cared for vessels.

I was sitting on a bench at the end of Vire Island and watched the Kingswear Castle berth and leave. Thought the skipper made a bit of a cods turning round on departure.

You might have given me a wave!
Old 31st August 2014, 22:35

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboat View Post
I was sitting on a bench at the end of Vire Island and watched the Kingswear Castle berth and leave. Thought the skipper made a bit of a cods turning round on departure.

You might have given me a wave!
So that was you with the bottle of 4 Bells!
Old 5th September 2014, 22:24
Department: Navigation
Active: 1957 - 1977

Ian McMillan

Extracts from his Obituary in "The Times" Thursday 4th September 2014.

Having studied at Southampton in the early 1970s he went to sea as an engineering apprentice with BP. As part of his apprenticeship he was seconded to Kincaids of Greenock. After several years at sea in oil tankers and after various jobs he joined Waverley Excursions. Sailed as engineer on Prince Ivanhoe which hit an uncharted underwater obstacle on 3rd August 1981. Declared dead loss after being beached in Port Eynon Bay. Subsequently became superintendent engineer on Waverley and Balmoral. Later he was Operational Director and then Chairman of Waverley Excursions standing down in 2007.
Died suddenly on July 18. 2014.
Cause of death not given.
Old 5th October 2014, 20:41

Hi Guys I'm really sorry to read you news, Ian was my junior, I think on the Tenacity in 77 when we coasting North west Europe, he was a lovely man with a great sense of humour and a very clever engineer. I have a story about him. He would always want to get off the ship as soon as we got along side, one Sunday when we were in Grain he dragged me ashore to Chatham for some decent ale, while we were in the pub he recalled he was at college with a lad from Chatham so when there was no more ale to be had (it was Sunday) he decided we should go and see if he was at home. On arrival at the door step we found he was away at sea but we were cordially invited in by his parents and siblings, it was obvious from the laden table that they were about to sit down for their tea, Ian mentioned what a lovely spread it was and we were invited to join them in their meal. The conversation then became awkward as I realised that Ian didn't know the lad very well and was unable to answer the many questions his family were asking, Ian was not phased and was quite happy to ask for second helpings before deciding we had better get back to the ship I was dreading the farewell as I was sure he was going to ask for a lift back to the ship, luckily for my embarrassment he didn't. But that was Ian he even said he would visit again the next time we were in Grain
Old 7th October 2014, 01:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBY2 View Post
Hi Guys I'm really sorry to read you news, Ian was my junior, I think on the Tenacity in 77 when we coasting North west Europe, he was a lovely man with a great sense of humour and a very clever engineer. I have a story about him. He would always want to get off the ship as soon as we got along side, one Sunday when we were in Grain he dragged me ashore to Chatham for some decent ale, while we were in the pub he recalled he was at college with a lad from Chatham so when there was no more ale to be had (it was Sunday) he decided we should go and see if he was at home. On arrival at the door step we found he was away at sea but we were cordially invited in by his parents and siblings, it was obvious from the laden table that they were about to sit down for their tea, Ian mentioned what a lovely spread it was and we were invited to join them in their meal. The conversation then became awkward as I realised that Ian didn't know the lad very well and was unable to answer the many questions his family were asking, Ian was not phased and was quite happy to ask for second helpings before deciding we had better get back to the ship I was dreading the farewell as I was sure he was going to ask for a lift back to the ship, luckily for my embarrassment he didn't. But that was Ian he even said he would visit again the next time we were in Grain
Alan ,

I am delighted to hear something about Ian, I have not been able to find anything at all (from possible peers etc), he really was an enigma in his early years, though made up for that in later life

The way he went about his 'visit' would not endear him to me, cheeky sod. But he certainly made more than just an impression working with those veteran ships.

Graham
Old 7th October 2014, 01:35

Alan ,

You are quite correct it was the Tenacity in 1977, DI McMillan JE, but then what were the odds that another JE would be AJ McMillan. The third JE was MA Miller, quite a mouthful if you had to say those three name fast.

Mind you correct spelling of names in Ships Movements sometimes left one wondering who was who.

CE was John S Thompson another ex BP EA

Graham
Old 7th October 2014, 15:29
Active: 1968 - 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBY2 View Post
Ian was my junior, I think on the Tenacity in 77 when we coasting North west Europe,
Was on the Tenacity from Jan 77 to Nov 77, have the OM as Ned Larking, Peter Mammen & Denis Faulkner?, can't remember who the CE was.
Old 7th October 2014, 23:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogrumpy View Post
Was on the Tenacity from Jan 77 to Nov 77, have the OM as Ned Larking, Peter Mammen & Denis Faulkner?, can't remember who the CE was.
Phil,

Feb 1977, Master P Mammen, CE EI Morgan ( ex 1956 EA).

March 1977, Master RS Larking, CE EI Morgan

April 1977, Master RS Larking, CE Sandy McNay (ex 1958EA died 2013)

May 1977, Master RS Larking, CE JA Cartwright

June 1977, Master P Mammen, CE DAC Williams ( you had gone)

July 1977, Master P Mammen, CE JS Thompson ( ex 1956 EA)

Sep 1977, Master P Mammen, CE JS Thompson ( you back aboard)

Oct 1977, Master DF Faulkner, CE JSThompson

Nov 1977, Master DF Faulkner, CE JSM Sutton (ex1953 EA) You had left)

Hells bells they changed a lot!, no wonder you could not remember who was who.

Graham
Old 8th October 2014, 10:47
Active: 1968 - 1986

Thanks Graham, well done as ever..
Think Ned Larkin was up and down mate/OM, Peter Mammen from the Isle of Man, Eddie Morgan with Sheila, "Diesel Dackers" Williams, and if I have the right Thompson(big John) a very pleasant Scot from near Grangemouth.

Last edited by twogrumpy; 8th October 2014 at 11:11..
Old 8th October 2014, 15:35

My location
Roger 'Ned' Larkin was relieving Master on the unfortunate Trent in 75 - he moved around a fair bit.
Old 8th October 2014, 17:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekhore View Post
Roger 'Ned' Larkin was relieving Master on the unfortunate Trent in 75 - he moved around a fair bit.
Derek,

I see you and Phil are spelling his name as 'Larkin', I thought for a moment I had made an error spelling it as 'Larking', so which is correct?

Ships Movements were not always correct.

Graham
Old 8th October 2014, 17:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogrumpy View Post
Thanks Graham, well done as ever..
Think Ned Larkin was up and down mate/OM, Peter Mammen from the Isle of Man, Eddie Morgan with Sheila, "Diesel Dackers" Williams, and if I have the right Thompson(big John) a very pleasant Scot from near Grangemouth.
Phil,

I was in touch with John S Thompson briefly in 2006.

Wot the hell is "Diesel Dackers" supposed to mean?

Graham
Old 8th October 2014, 17:28

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Wallace View Post
Derek,

I see you and Phil are spelling his name as 'Larkin', I thought for a moment I had made an error spelling it as 'Larking', so which is correct?

Ships Movements were not always correct.

Graham
Just looked at my Discharge Book - of the two entries signed by him as Master ...

... both are inconclusive!

His signature ends in pretty much a straight line ... but there could possibly be the tail of a 'g' on one of them!!

Maybe someone else has his name showing more clearly!
Old 30th June 2015, 22:16
Active: 1972 - 1977

Knew him well!

Mac, as everyone knew him (never Iain), was a good friend during our time together at Southampton College of Technology. Mac, me. Dave Turner and Tony Beer were engineer cadets with BP Tankers, joining in September 1972 and completing our HND in April 1975.
In between we got drunk (a lot), ate many curries, Chinese, Turkish, food, acquired the port flag at Ryde and many other gentle escapades. No girls, just mates. I kept in touch with him afterwards, including a trip on the Waverley from Deal to lay a wreath over the wreck of the original Waverley at Dunkirk. Must have been about 78 or 79, maybe this convinced him to do it full time? As the years passed we exchanged Xmas cards until quite recently, but never met after that last Deal trip. I followed his achievements in the media with interest. He was a superb, intuitive engineer, born out of his time. He had so many other interests, and was solely responsible for getting me hooked on opera as well- the difficult stuff, too. As I look back on forty plus years of work, Mac stands out as the man I was most proud to know, and an engineer of unparalleled ability and commitment. He was also fantastic company, erudite, compassionate, and funny. His early death is an absolute tragedy, unfortunately I only found out some time after the event and did not attend his funeral. You can't buy Whitbread Trophy any more, it was his usual tipple, but I did raise a glass in Southampton to his memory.
Old 1st July 2015, 01:40

WFO ,

Thanks for the comments, nice to know someone who really knew him.

I completely missed your particular group at Soton in 1972 possibly due to the HNC connection. Dave Turner and Tony Beer are also new names to me. I do know others at Soton in 1972 but even they never knew of Mac.

I have sent you an SN private message, I would like to hear more.

Graham