Herring Boats from the 70s Irish Sea - Ships Nostalgia
03:17

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Herring Boats from the 70s Irish Sea

User Tag List

Old 16th October 2006, 13:49

Herring Boats from the 70s Irish Sea

Hi
A new member, so finding my way around. Interested in all things involving fishing boats. Lived in Peel and worked in the kipper yards. Unloaded many a boat from Scotland, Ireland and the Isle of Man. Herring drifters, ring-netters and trawlers. The purse net was no good in the Irish Sea, not deep enough. Every September there use to up 300 boats now there is only three supper trawlers from Kilkeel.
Old 16th October 2006, 16:36
Super Moderator

Smile Welcome

A warm welcome Mike. You will find a strong interest in fishing and fishing boats on the site. Please join in on this topic and anything else that is of interest to you

Fred
Old 16th October 2006, 17:59
Gulpers Gulpers is offline   SN Supporter
ex-Denholm Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1981

My location
Thumbs up Welcome

Mike,

A warm welcome to the site from Anglesey. I guarantee you will thoroughly enjoy the SN experience!
Since you share common interests with many of our members you will undoubtedly be exchanging messages before long.
Old 16th October 2006, 19:53
gdynia gdynia is offline   SN Supporter
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 2010

My location
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy your time on site. You will probally remember the Paragon from St.Monance she fished out of Peel for several years at the drift net
Old 17th October 2006, 00:41

My location
Mike another warm welcome to the site from Tasmania, we have a very large and enthusiastic fishing boat crew here so I'm sure there will be plenty to interest you, I hope you enjoy your membership.
Old 17th October 2006, 01:18

My location
Welcome Mike,

We have plenty of members interested in fishing boats here.

Enjoy the site and make the best of what is on offer.

Regards,

Brian
Old 17th October 2006, 08:24
user

My location
A warm welcome to you Mike, enjoy SN and all the site has to offer; there is a huge following of fishermen, so you should have plenty of fun. We look forward to your postings. Bon Voyage
Old 17th October 2006, 08:32

Thanks for the welcome. There were three PARAGONS that fished from Peel. KY54 a motorized fifie built by Reekie St Monace in 1919. She is still going strong on the west coast of Scotland. She was replaced by the 1933 Reekie, Anstruther built FLOREAT II AH30 which was renamed PARAGON II KY162. She fished using the drift net from Peel and Whitby up until 1975. KY162 was sold to the Isle of Man and became RY17 until 1976 when she was sold to Whitehaven and later Fleetwood, where she became FD400. Unfortunately she was wrecked and after going on fire.
KY162 was replaced by the 1960 J N Miller, St Monace built DOUGALS LH372 and renamed PARAGON III KY8. She used the herring drift net from Peel for a couple of years before being wrecked at the entance to Pittenweem in 1982.
KY86 was replaced by the 1983 Millers built GREEN PASTURES LH424 which became PARAGON KY54 the same number as the first motor boat. She was sold in 1985 to Stornoway and became SY32 and a few years later decommissioned.
Old 17th October 2006, 11:23

My location
There was quite a few Fraserburgh pairs that used to go to the IoM Herring. Off the top of my head there was the Dewy Rose and Jacquamar(sp?) ( skippers are brothers , Peem and Ackie Mitchell ) which were 55ft and at least 6 other boats the same ( all wood ). There must have been 12-16 pairs at one time from Fraserbugh and Peterhead that fished IoM. I'll have a look thru my old photo's see if I can find out any more.

Davie
Old 18th October 2006, 08:44

Fraserburgh herring trawlers.

Yes Davie,
There use to be a great fleet of FR herring trawlers. MysticFR124/Wistaria FR116 later Mystic FR266/ Wistaria FR263; Kimara FR176/Helena FR178; Uberous FR50/KallistaFR107; Onyx FR389/ Flourish FR149 plus others Star of HopeFR34; Golden Harvest FR337; Fidelis FR404; Faithful FR246; Golden Venture FR378; Winner FR265; Margaret Herd FR180; Morning Star FR286; Argo FR255; Azareel FR57, great times never to be seen again.
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie Tait View Post
There was quite a few Fraserburgh pairs that used to go to the IoM Herring. Off the top of my head there was the Dewy Rose and Jacquamar(sp?) ( skippers are brothers , Peem and Ackie Mitchell ) which were 55ft and at least 6 other boats the same ( all wood ). There must have been 12-16 pairs at one time from Fraserbugh and Peterhead that fished IoM. I'll have a look thru my old photo's see if I can find out any more.

Davie
Old 10th April 2007, 21:23
Stowaway

My location
The Broch Silver Crests fished the IoM as well FR123 (My grandfathers and fathers boat)and he had plenty good things to say about Douglas and Peel