NEW YORK Pier Numbers - Ships Nostalgia
12:25

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

NEW YORK Pier Numbers

User Tag List

Old 13th October 2015, 16:07

My location
NEW YORK Pier Numbers

In the 60,s used to sail into New York in the Carinthia, anyone know the pier numbers. I know it used to be near the "Market Diner" at least it if memory serves me right. Alan.
Old 13th October 2015, 22:43
Department: Deck

My location
Alan the Queen of Bermuda went to 95 and Cunard very close.
Old 13th October 2015, 22:45
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1956 - 1970

I seem to remember on the Parthia we were at Pier 92 and the Bermuda boats were further up the river.
Old 14th October 2015, 00:08
Active: 1958 - 1975

Queens (ships)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAN TYLER View Post
In the 60,s used to sail into New York in the Carinthia, anyone know the pier numbers. I know it used to be near the "Market Diner" at least it if memory serves me right. Alan.
the QM & QE tied up usually at pier 90, Caronia, Mauretania, pier 91, as you say market diner, maxi hans clothe shop, further along anchor bar, round the corner Charlie's bar, (ward room) i think it was 50th street not sure, did know where the blood bank was to get a few dollars, remember Joe bartender in the diner, Patti barmaid in Charlie's bar, she use to say AB meant always broke, and always on the book (true) when i was on the NY Bermuda run she would let us run up a tab and pay her back next time in NY which was every week.
chas
Old 14th October 2015, 08:24
Active: 1964 - 2009

My location
Pier 92 for the Queen Mary in 64 & 67, also the Franconia in 67 if the Queens weren't in.

PS

Who actually owned the piers, was it the shipping companies, or the NY Port Authority, who leased them to the companies?

Last edited by Dickyboy; 14th October 2015 at 08:27.. Reason: To add PS
Old 14th October 2015, 15:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasH View Post
the QM & QE tied up usually at pier 90, Caronia, Mauretania, pier 91, as you say market diner, maxi hans clothe shop, further along anchor bar, round the corner Charlie's bar, (ward room) i think it was 50th street not sure, did know where the blood bank was to get a few dollars, remember Joe bartender in the diner, Patti barmaid in Charlie's bar, she use to say AB meant always broke, and always on the book (true) when i was on the NY Bermuda run she would let us run up a tab and pay her back next time in NY which was every week.
chas
Joe was he the liverpool bartender ,did he have only one eye? if so the last tme I saw he had a kiosk in Liverpool selling cigrettes etc I think this was in the eightees or a little later,I know there was a Liverpool barman in the Diner a place where some of the characters were larger than life,Caddilac Kate that wonderfull lady who was Mae West in cinemascope being just one,ah happy days.
Old 14th October 2015, 19:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom roberts View Post
Joe was he the liverpool bartender ,did he have only one eye? if so the last tme I saw he had a kiosk in Liverpool selling cigrettes etc I think this was in the eightees or a little later,I know there was a Liverpool barman in the Diner a place where some of the characters were larger than life,Caddilac Kate that wonderfull lady who was Mae West in cinemascope being just one,ah happy days.
Tom,
The regular bartender in the Market Diner in my time in NY 1964/65 was a young lad from Belfast named Jimmy. He was very generous with the freebies, ie pretzels, nuts and big bowls of freshly fried chips.
ChasH, the bloodbanks were in 42nd Street, two right next to each other. You could stagger from one to the other, and then head over the road to an Irish bar and replenish your blood supply with pints of Guinness!

Pat
Old 14th October 2015, 19:56

If I remember correctly Cunard had an office on Pier 92, we used to have our mail sent there directly when on the Ivernia. I recall Jimmy, Andy and a Puerto Rican guy can't put a name to him. I think Andy was the head barman, used to see one of the Zefflin brothers who were the owners visit a few times in the daytime. Also seen Marjorie Proops in the diner she looked old, that was in 64 or 65, another time a Rolls Royce parked up outside and the driver came in.
He had a green blazer with brass buttons plus a crest /coat of arms on the breast pocket. He would not disclose who he was but as he was leaving he said he was going to collect the Duke of Windsor from a hotel uptown. It had a variety of customers over the years, when the old Queens were in dock I used to give the Diner a wide berth.
Old 18th October 2015, 01:00

Anyone remember "Red Hopper" the pier gang boss of Pier 92? A character straight out of "On the Waterfront"
Old 21st January 2016, 18:03
Active: 1965 - Present

Pier Numbers for Cunard

I can remember "Market Diner" across the road from the pier exit. I was there 1969/1970 in fact was moored there in QE2 maiden arrival.

I recall Pier 90 was for the largest liners, Pier 91 (on upriver side of 90 was for smaller passenger ship and us lowly cargo ship types were on pier 92.

After that we were banished to Newark with ACL. A new age had dawned.

Occasionally during dock strikes we would all go over and discharge/backload the liners as we were insde the picket lines.