Andania - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
02:42

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Andania

User Tag List

Old 14th April 2006, 20:30
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1957 - 1969

sythia

we took 16 days to get to new york on the sythia in jan 65 those ships could roll if memory serves great days though
Old 20th April 2006, 12:19
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1964 - 1975

My location
16 days to get to NY doesn't sound like great days to me Durango! I think the longest crossing I had was 10 or 11 days but I can't remember which ship it was, Samaria I think. This was 3 or 4 days longer than the usual 7 so it did make the schedule a bit tight. The all aft ships weren't really robust enough to take on the Atlantic at 17/18 knots in my opinion. They rolled like hell and rattled something rotten, Alaunia was a much better sea ship so Andania must have been too. I enjoyed the ports at either end but getting tossed around like a cork was never my favourite pastime at sea - a soft Sparks I suppose.
Old 12th November 2006, 09:32

I did my first trip to sea on Andania, November 1963, as Deck Boy. Captain Bradley, Chief Officer Bell. The Bosun was McCarthy, who left to work on Pier 52 New York as foreman stevedore, and was replaced by the then lampy Jimmy Byrne, new lampy was a big guy Joe something who spent a long time on Mauritannia. I enjoyed the 6 week round trips. I remember one trip we carried the America Cup yachts across with some of their crew so that they could do maintenance on the trip. We had to assist them moving lashings but as they were classed as passengers we were told we couldn't talk to them, which made it a bit difficult to find out what they wanted us to do. The Christmas trip from Glasgow, Yorkhill Quay in 1963 was an interesting experience as the cargo security were on strike, so we were relegated to making sure the dockers didn't broach the crates of whisky. As a just turned 16 year old, more fat on a chip type, there was no way to report a 9ft 20 stone Glaswegian docker!! At the end of the working day I recall several of the dockers had to be craned out of the hold and taken to hospital and pumped out. Great days
Old 21st November 2006, 21:29
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwzm View Post
Hi Tony,
I had a QSO with Frank Dunn today on the landline and he said that he remembers you and asked me to pass on his salaams. I'm hoping to have an eyeball QSO soon with Frank and I'm sure there will be much swinging of the lamp!
= salaams es BV = John + VA
Next Time you QSO Frank, Please send him all best salaams from Marcus & Solveig! (He was at our Wedding in '71, but last seen on the Countess in St. Georges, Grenada, 24 years ago....
Old 21st November 2006, 22:29

My location
And of course the Andania lives on in the shipping game Ports of Call
Old 15th January 2016, 20:41
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast

Hello all...sorry for resurrecting an old thread. I was researching my fathers Merchant Navy service - and have found he served as a Fireman onboard this ship. I have found a letter written to him, c/o Pier 51 New York; this was March 63 I think.

The internet is a wonderful place eh?!