Hatch Covers on Fish Class - Ships Nostalgia
04:25

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Hatch Covers on Fish Class

User Tag List

Old 15th August 2019, 15:04
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 2009

Hatch Covers on Fish Class

Can anyone remember what the hatch cover operating systems were on the Fish Class. If my memory is correct the Main Deck panels were wheel mounted and self-cleating (no turning of wheels) and operated either electrically or hydraulically from a control panel on the side of the hatch. Yes/no?

No1 tween deck, No2 tween deck and No5 upper and lower tween decks were covered by lift on/lift off panels and required a Velle derrick to open/shut them. Yes/no?

The tween deck covers in Nos 3 and 4 were also wheeled but I can't remember if they were electically or hydraulically operated or whether blocks and wires had to be fitted and the wire run up a trunkway to the masthouse to utilise a winch (I might be confusing this latter method with the Fleetbank Class). Yes/no?

Anyone with excellent memories out there please respond - thanks. Having sailed on two of the class as Mate I really should be capable of remembering but age has dulled the old grey matter!
Old 16th August 2019, 15:06

Challenging questions! from my memory (and that is not all that reliable) and from articles in 'The Bank Line' regarding the building of hull 907 (Troutbank);

1. Hatches on the main deck will be direct pull throughout by the Velle derricks. I seem to think we used to hand jack near the wheel and turned them and then dropped the cover onto the coaming. (The days of turning the wheels with a bar, then removing a pin to turn the wheels up before dropping the lids were receding - the covers where becoming too heavy)

2.Tween deck hatches are partly wire operated MacGreggor hatches and partly slab hatches (1, 2 and 5). Seem to think that the wire pulled hatches were also direct hooked to the Velles? Do not remember them having wires being lead to a winch?
Old 18th August 2019, 14:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Drury View Post
Challenging questions! from my memory (and that is not all that reliable) and from articles in 'The Bank Line' regarding the building of hull 907 (Troutbank);

1. Hatches on the main deck will be direct pull throughout by the Velle derricks. I seem to think we used to hand jack near the wheel and turned them and then dropped the cover onto the coaming. (The days of turning the wheels with a bar, then removing a pin to turn the wheels up before dropping the lids were receding - the covers where becoming too heavy)

2.Tween deck hatches are partly wire operated MacGreggor hatches and partly slab hatches (1, 2 and 5). Seem to think that the wire pulled hatches were also direct hooked to the Velles? Do not remember them having wires being lead to a winch?
Hello Tony,

Thanks for your input. I don't have memories of turning the wheels on the main deck hatches, as I recall when the panels reached the right position there was a dip in the trackway which the wheels lowered themselves into; the rest of the panel seated directly onto the sealing packing.

For the tween deck folding panels my brain is beginning to recall that the Velle hook was connected to the pulling wire via a small trunkway on the masthouse but I can't be certain this is right.
Old 19th August 2019, 07:23

Waighty - the fog clears a bit more and believe you are correct about the hatch wheels dipping down. Trying to put hatch wheels to a ship ater these many years and the number of varieties aroubd, itis not easy.........

Still struggling with the tween deck though - it could well have been but clear no recollection here - hopefully we will be further enlightened and then we can all sleep easy again lol.
Old 20th August 2019, 06:26
Active: 1964 - 1970

My location
I joined Teviotbank in 1967, as a new build and always wondered why she still had old style hatch covers and not McGregor style ones? I know this is not relevant to “fish” class, but just asking the question.
Old 20th August 2019, 09:47
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald McGhee View Post
I joined Teviotbank in 1967, as a new build and always wondered why she still had old style hatch covers and not McGregor style ones? .
They were bought from a guy down a side street in Alang.
Old 20th August 2019, 13:11
Department: Engineering
Active: 1981 - 2003

My location
Quote:
I joined Teviotbank in 1967, as a new build and always wondered why she still had old style hatch covers and not McGregor style ones? I know this is not relevant to “fish” class, but just asking the question.
I was with Bank Line 1985 - 89 and, around that time the contents of the warehouse in Woodbine Street Sunderland (Adjacent to the Doxford Gateway) were being disbursed, a list was sent round the fleet on the basis "Who wants what" among the list were a large quantity of hatch wedges, these ended up on the UK calling Cora Class, excellent BBQ fuel. Another thing that came from there were, if you ordered jointing shears you ended up with lamp wick trimming scissors - absolutely useless!!

George Santayana (1863 - 1952)
Old 20th August 2019, 18:45
Active: 1959 - 2007

My location
I thought Teviotbank had single pull MacGregors.
Old 23rd August 2019, 08:52

Hatch covers fish class

You seem to be getting the Corra class and fish class mixed up. All main deck hatches on the fish class were wire pulled slabs. The wire led through a block at the end of the hatch which when the weight came on it, it turned a locking bar releasing the lids. Each end was 3 slabs. First one went up, , andthe wire connected to the middle of the second two. The last slap rolled on a wheel each side. Had to put a chain on each side to hold open. Problem with crew was closing. Had to take the weight to release the chains then lower the lids. Especially with 60 tonne derrick the crew actually or very nearly pulled the lids right off by continuing to heave instead of lowering the lids.
I am struggling to remember the tweendeck hatches but feel sure they were wire pulled slabs as well.
Corra class main deck hatches dragged themselves along a chain. A series of McGregors no.1 and 5 tween decks were pontoons and can't quite remember if they were the upper or lower hatch in no.5 one deck was ermines.
Old 23rd August 2019, 09:47
Active: 1973 - Present

Fish Class had single pull hatches on the main deck using the Velle derricks to open. There was a locking pin that could be placed in when the hatch was closed. There was one captain, E.T. Rees who was very sceptical about the security of these hatches.
As I remember Nos 1,2 and 5 tween decks were slabs and Nos 3&4 tween decks were single pull with four sections per hatch.
Old 30th August 2019, 14:30

Pilot24 and GusMatz are spot on. Having read their posts my memory banks (such as they are) sprung into life and I remembered all about the hatch covers - main and tween deck. Thanks chaps.

Closing hatches - apart from the risk of the crew heaving instead of lowering - were also tricky to close if there was deck cargo on the opposing covers. I recall on Ruddbank having to judiciously 'lift' the for'd leading panel of No4 stbd with a Velle derrick to allow the aft panels to close successfully; a not to be recommended course of action. Ellis Rees was the Old Man at the time, hence his concerns over these covers alluded to in Pilot24's post.
Old 3rd September 2019, 15:07

My own cloudy memory tells me there were pontoons in the tween decks (upper and lower or just one set?) in 1 and 5 but single pull covers in 2,3, and 4? It'd be great to get some plans to look at.
Old 7th September 2019, 05:42

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by China hand View Post
I thought Teviotbank had single pull MacGregors.
You’re right, she did. Getting older I’m afraid. I was probably getting her mixed up with Marabank, but at least me current vessel has no hatches and could qualify as deck cargo! Cheers.
Old 7th September 2019, 12:35
Department: Navigation
Active: 1951 - 1999

My location
Quote:
You’re right, she did. Getting older I’m afraid. I was probably getting her mixed up with Marabank, but at least me current vessel has no hatches and could qualify as deck cargo! Cheers.

Hallo Donald

How goes it on the ' African Queen'? Sorry, only joking as I am envious of your most interesting work on the river craft. Well remember your earlier postings when you made the move - hope its worked out brilliantly for you!

Please see my site" http://banklineonline.com for many memories including the Teviotbank
B Rgds/Alan

Last edited by Alan Rawlinson; 7th September 2019 at 12:38..
Old 8th September 2019, 00:08

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Rawlinson View Post
Hallo Donald

How goes it on the ' African Queen'? Sorry, only joking as I am envious of your most interesting work on the river craft. Well remember your earlier postings when you made the move - hope its worked out brilliantly for you!

Please see my site" http://banklineonline.com for many memories including the Teviotbank
B Rgds/Alan
Hi Alan. All well on the old girl, now in my 5th year as master and still enjoying the challenge of sailing on a fast flowing river with a vessel and machinery 120 years old! Just taking it year by year though, as I still don’t know, in my 72nd year what I want to do if I ever grow up! Stay safe. Cheers. Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7A674E49-3FAB-4BF6-83BD-3B937A0A45A8.jpg (17.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg FBFC6C68-15AC-43AB-AC8B-B057EA971258.jpg (22.4 KB, 4 views)