Ships Nostalgia banner

Mabel E Holland

13K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  annakeen 
#1 ·
Can anyone help with the current location of the Mabel E Holland. I see in the gallery that there is a picture of her in Newcastle, which was posted in 2005.

Thank you.
Nicky

#4 ·
I've always had an interest in lifeboats since seeing Mabel E Holland launched at Dungeness as a child. My interest was renewed when I spotted her on an episode of harbour lights several years ago. By the time I visited West Bay 2 years later whilst on holiday she had moved on.

Occasionally, I look on the internet to see if there are any new reports or if she will be at any of the old lifeboat rallies. She looked a bit sad in the most recent picture that I have seen of her (2005).

My husband and I already own 4 sailing boats, 2 are undergoing restoration, 1 to sell in the spring and the other for us to sail next year.

It would be nice to see her restored again, and maybe if she was up for sale.........well I can always dream!!

#5 ·
I well remember the Mabel E Holland at Dungeness, a Watson Beach class, her Coxswain for many years was an old friend, the late Ben Tart, he was followed by Honker Haines. I witnessed some difficult launches into easterly storms during those times, sometimes causing the boat to be rolled up the beach, and having to be hauled up the slip to try and re launch, brave and dedicated crews and launchers. Bruce.

#9 ·
A new member John.A. Re Mable holland In 1996 Arthur Curnow retired RNLI Torbay coxwain after 17 years as coxwain decided to acquire the 42 foot distinctive yellow Mable E Holland. She was in a very sad state indeed. After weeks of hard graft she was refitted to her original state.
We sailed her to the first International Festival at Bristol to celebrate Cabot's attempt at the North West Passage. Vehicle Water transportation Boat Watercraft Lifeboat

Concrete mixer Vehicle Naval architecture

Water transportation Vehicle Boat Waterway Watercraft

#10 ·
Mabel

A friend bought her and used her as an occasional houseboat while she was still moored on the Thames - somewhere near the mouth of the Lea I think. He then put her on a truck and took her back to his farm in Wales. Still in his ownership. I am not sure whether it is still in a farmyard. I could find out...?

#11 ·
Welcome

A friend bought her and used her as an occasional houseboat while she was still moored on the Thames - somewhere near the mouth of the Lea I think. He then put her on a truck and took her back to his farm in Wales. Still in his ownership. I am not sure whether it is still in a farmyard. I could find out...?
Thanks for your contribution dur and on behalf of the Moderating Team, a warm welcome aboard.
Settle in and I hope you enjoy your time with us on SN. (Thumb)

#16 ·
Mabel E Holland lifeboat from Dungeness

Hello, I sailed often on the mabel E Holland when she was at Trinity Buoy Wharf in London at the mouth of the river Lea. She was bought by Reg the security guard (a right character!) he payed several grand and got the book too! (about sailing the North West passage backwards...he used to say "Look! Polar bear scratches on the windscreen! This aint just a boat! This is 'Istory!" Reg was not a sailor, in fact he was always seasick, but he was helped by a motley gang who lived down there on TBW when it was still developing. Several of us went down the Thames to the Red Sands Forts one time in her for a weekend. Huddled below near the massive twin engines. Reg used to tie incredible granny knots...when we complained he should learn to tie a proper knot so we could undo them, he replied "A knots a knot, and if I want to undo it, I'll cut it wif a knife! What do you fink? That I aint got enough money to buy more rope?!" In the end, he managed to sell it for almost the price he bought it...(including the book!) to a gentle buffalo farmer from Wales, who used to drive up to TBW each day towing a huge container of buffalo milk to sell. He worked on building 'container city' (turning old shipping containers into luxury studios). He wasn't a sailor either, and towed the Mabel E Holland to his farm in Wales. Reg is still security guard on the wharf and is great at telling stories if anyone wants to visit him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.