Ships Nostalgia banner

WANTED - PLANS & DRAWINGS ... for Watson 47 Class Lifeboat

18K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  rsworder779 
#1 ·
For quite some time I have been trying to source the plans and general arrangement drawings, as well as any other drawings, or manuals for a Watson 47 Class Motor Lifeboat. Preferably for my own vessel Joseph Soar, but for any Watson 47 would be a great help.

Joseph Soar (ON-971) - Watson 47ft Motor Lifeboat, Built by J. Samuel Whites Yard, Isle of Wight 1963 & has a yard 'Hull Number' as well - W5533

Converted to Self-Righting 1976 - by William Osbornes Yard.

I have made enquiries directly with the RNLI and The National Maritime Museum, but without success & I am hoping that some members here might have some tucked away, or might be able help with some contacts or leads. I have looked back at old Threads and Posts here - plans & drawings have been mentioned ... http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=5760&highlight=RNLI+Plans

There WILL be a Reward ... probably in the form of 'Manifold-Heatable Devon Pasties' ... (*))

#3 ·
Thanks billmaca ... I did contact the RNLI directly, but learned that they had submitted all in their possession to the National Maritime Museum. I approached them hoping for the Plans & Drawings of my own vessel Joesph Soar (0N-971), but they stated that they didn't have any Plans etc for that boat. I then enquired about the Plans & Drawings of any of the other 17 Watson 47's built & I am now having any luck there either. My hope is that someone might have Plans in a general collection of RNLI do***ents and might be willing to sell them ar allow me to copy them.

#4 ·
Hi i think i can help you with plans of the louise ann hawker 47ft wason. my uncle lives in bideford, devon and i know for certain that he has the plans. his name is Victor berry. let me know how you get on, as i would like a copy of the plans, as a family dispute means that he won't let me have a copy to make a model to put in the appledore lifeboat station

#5 ·
I managed to locate & just received copies of the following Plans at the Liverpool Maritime Museum;

Helen Wycherley (0N-959)... 1961

(1) General Arrangement : Internal Profile & Deck Arrangement. Scale 1"=1ft. Size 57cm x 30cm. (1961)
(2) General Arrangement of Fitted Sections. Scale 1"=1ft. Size 50cm x 29cm. (1961)

If BERRY or anyone else wants a copy, then you can e-mail ..

John.Moore (at) liverpoolmuseums.org.uk

In addition, I have also located & ordered Two, 'Machinery Arrangement Plans' for ON-920 ... Dunnet Head (Civil Service No. 31) ... Built 1955,
from the National Maritime Museum. Copies can be ordered ... contact details;

plansandphotos (at) nmm.ac.uk

#7 ·
ON971 Joseph Soar

Hi, I found your post while doing some research of my own into Watson Class lifeboats.

Regarding the Joseph Soar ON971 the drawings you are looking for do exist, you need to phone the RNLI and ask for the Engineering Help Desk, the do***ents you want are available in electronic format (I have them right in front of me) however due to RNLI policy I am not allowed to simply give them to you. The do***ents include General Assembly as fitted, ventilation and Arrgt as fitted, buoyancy clocks as fitted, sections as fitted, pumps, drains, vents as fitted(Unclear image).

I hope this helps

#8 ·
JWalshe ... Thanks .. !

I will call them tomorrrow. As mentioned in my previous post, I did obtain various full size drawings, which although are of other Watson 47's, they are fairly typical of the Class and are extremely usefull.

If there is anything I can help you with in your research, then please just ask.

#12 ·
The 'Official' air draft of the Watson 47ft is 11' .. & that is with all antennas/masts lowered.

A word of caution though - there were several converted to self-righting and obviously some had post RNLI conversions / additions, so worth double-checking with a tape measure and two poles when on dry-land.

#15 ·
I have the plans for AMT on963

I own AMT (now AMiTy), 47' Watson.

I have the bluprints of general layout, hull dimensions, wiring diagram.

Of which I have a copy of the general layout available (plan view, w/house internal, port/stbd views, stern view) but not the others, these would need to be copied.

Any use?

#17 ·
Also looking for plans - Watson 47 Class

Hi all, I am considering a restoration project down here in Cornwall and researching the Watson 47 Class as a possible. I would be grateful for any available plans, engineering schematics etc that might be available to peruse.

The specific hull number is not too important as I'm still at the feasibility stage. I don't want to commit to a purchase until I have a better idea of what I'm letting myself in for.

Any help much appreciated.

Regards,

Lee Lamble
Rock, Cornwall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.