Ships Nostalgia banner

Longhope Disaster

10K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  Iain Crosbie 
#1 ·
Forty two years today that our friends across the Pentland Firth at Longhope perished on a shout to the Greek frighter Irene,memories come and go but this one sticks with me.

#10 ·
Glad you made it there, it's some place. I was on Orkney about a year ago, and visited Longhope - it wasn't open so I took a couple of pics through the window. As I was getting into the car about to leave, the custodian came up in his car and opened up specially for us. It contains some awesome memories. Well worth a visit, as is the rest of Hoy.

#12 ·
70-002

The late Ian C Ives was the staff cox'n on Grace Patterson Ritchie, which was the Kirkwall lifeboat at the time.
They responded to this shout and also searched for the TGB afterwards.
Ian always said that this was one of the hardest shouts, the conditions were so bad. Eventually, even he - in a 70ft steel boat - decided that shelter was required.
Gracie took the crew of the Longhope boat to their funeral.
As you probably know, the RNLI repaired TGB and Ian took her to Arranmore.
When asked about both these; wasn't he worried about ghosts ? he said that the men had been his friends, so, no he wasn't worried.
The hull of the TGB is at Irivine, in the museum there, and had an "interesting" aura when I managed to get aboard her some years ago.

#13 · (Edited)
Ian took her to Arranmore.
When asked about both these; wasn't he worried about ghosts ? he said that the men had been his friends, so, no he wasn't worried.
The hull of the TGB is at Irivine, in the museum there, and had an "interesting" aura when I managed to get aboard her some years ago.
I will tell you a story now, which is the truth and may god strike me dead if I tell a lie,......about 10 years or so ago, whilst on our annual holiday to Largs I phoned and spoke to the curator of Irvine maritime museum asking if on our annual visit, I could go aboard the TGB to take some detailed photos of her deck, wheelhouse survivors cabin, etc as I was planning a model of her.
before I go further, people say that you have to be susceptible to "Ghosts" which those that are, call spirits, and I am, having both lived and owned a recognised "haunted" house in Fleetwood, and also taught in a school that was "spirited".
when my daughter [aged about 10/11] and I arrived at Irvine, the curator had laid on a set of step ladders for us to climb aboard with.............all I had said to my daughter was that we were going to photograph an old lifeboat............not telling her of any of the boats history, or she wouldn't have gone aboard........we got taking photos and I have one of her stood in the cockpit holding the boats' wheel..........it was a beautifully hot day, and down below Ayr model boat club were having a display weekend in a put up "pond"//we were all in t shirts, and my daughter in shorts it was so hot, even inside the museum. we finished taking photos and climbed down the steps, had a look round the museum, again, and then went to pick up her mum and little sister...........once we were back on the road heading towards Largs, she asked a question.............daaaad!, was there anyone else on the boat with us..............no! I said, why. well when you were on the front of the boat I felt a hand on my shoulder and then it went cold in the cabin.........I turned round but there was no one there........and I got a bit frightened.............my wife looked at me and I looked at her..........and then I told her the story of the ill-fated TGB, and how one crew member was never found from the disaster..........she then thought for a little while before she said in a very brave and yet understanding way.............I wonder if that was him........

I often think that it might have been.............god bless them all.................very brave men indeed.

#15 ·
TGB @Irvine

@nhp651 - Your daughter had a similar experience to mine. I don't normally tell people this - I was also on board the TGB, when I felt someone behind me, I said "Bird'seye sends his regards" and the touch was a friendly and gentle tap, I maybe imagined a short laugh - the sort of hello laugh for a friend. The cold feeling wasn't so noticeable the second time I went to the wheel. RIP to all the brave crew - and their families as I think those who stand and wait at the harbour side are also brave people.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.