Ships Nostalgia banner

Solomon Browne

14K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  Stoneroad 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Please pause for a few moments today to honour the bravery of the crew in the RNLB "Solomon Browne" lost on service, and those on the "Union Star" that they had sought to save. Twenty-eight years ago, on the 19th December at 2121 radio contact was lost with the lifeboat.

We will remember them.

Thank you.

#2 ·
Well they they rest in peace along with the crew off the Brought Ferry boat lost few years before, The boat was recovered along with the crew all dead in the cabin only one was never found. The boat was taken to Fife and burnt.
My Grandfather had to bury most off them.

#5 · (Edited)
can I just say as time marches on it is now 32 years ago, on the night of the 19/12/1981...and the memories are still raw

God bless them all. Any man/woman who goes out in such awful weather to rescue those that he knows not, is the bravest of the brave and has my full admiration and respect.

#6 ·
"They shall not grow old -as we that are left grow old.
Age shall weary them not, nor the years condemn;
At the going down of the sun, and in the morning,
We will remember them".

Lest we forget.

"The Ode" was actually written by a schoolteacher (whose name escapes me right now), during World War 1 - the "war to end all wars"

I have used it in on Anzac Day commemorations - yes I'm an ozzie now :)

So "Good Day" from down under!

But I served with the RNLB "North Foreland" (Civil Service No.11) at Margate for about 4 years after the RAF taught me to fly in the mid 1950's, and in the end had to leave the area to find a job.

I have a few pages, not completely finished, about the life-boat service in the 50s-60s and talk to groups about The "Solomon Browne". as this happened maybe 30 years after I left our Watson Class boat which is fortunate that she was kept intact for posterity at Chatham museum, notwithstanding the 48 hours of mayhem that winds and seas did when they destroyed Margate's iron jetty that the boathouse was two-thirds of the way up to where the "Royal Sovereign" used to berth.

A "Sea King" similar to "Rescue-80" winched the crew onto the boat to launch her and take her into harbour so they could blow up the

my (unfinished) site www.rnli.southaust.net has some photos, there is a huge number if you go looking.

And my after-dinner chats to mostly older people include three pieces out of the epic do***entary video that the BBC made called "Cruel Sea" in honour of the bravery of the crew of the Solomon Browne.

Broughty Ferry happened shortly before my family and I left the UK for Australia

Thank you guys,

Lest we forget
(from Richard in Australia)

#8 ·
Yes Neil, I agree.
I never knew him or the others.
His sister describes his character well, and the interview the BBC did for a previous service shows his character.

In many ways it was fortuitous that they went out to the "Lovatt" disaster and the BBC built a programme around that service.because they were able to build a more poignant story including the considerable stock footage they had already recorded.

I for one realised the character those lads had from sensitive editing.

The narrator even admitted he asked a stupid question during (I think) his chat with Kevin.

Sorry you lost a good mate there.

Oh FYI I was involved for several years in the 70's in TV studio operations, and a little of what was called ENG - Electronic News Gathering in those days. There are good producers and directors, and also bad ones. BBC Bristol had a great team there.

Richard in Ozzie

#9 ·
tomorrow is the 19th December

And the 35th anniversary of the loss of ON 954 "Solomon Browne" and all her crew, who died trying save the crew / captain's family from freighter "union Star" .

I shall raise a glass in memory.
Please join me.

olb - Penlee lb house par StoneRoad2013, on ipernity

#11 ·
The Lifeboat Station, although closed, remains as a memorial to the sad events of that day. Even in high summer there is a sombre atmosphere as you stand by the plaque recording the loss.

There is an image of the memorial in my Gallery.

I shall raise a glass to those brave men.

Roy.

#13 ·
All,
When the Lifeboat station at Caister was closed it was recalled that there had, many years ago been an enquiry as to why the Caister boat had on one occasion not made it to the rescue.
The "Prosecutor" said to the Caister coxswain that he had turned back, the Coxswain replied "Caister men, never turn back", immortal words.

yours aye,

slick

#17 ·

" Caister [lifeboatmen] never turn back".

The whole point, surely, is that lifeboatmen could turn back if they might wish to do so, because they are all volunteers? The valour is that they have no wish to turn back. Their discipline is their love of their fellow men and nothing else.

"Your love compels me to come in."

It is all a far, far, cry from any merely legal compulsion. Legal compulsion or legal obligation has very little place in the RNLI ethic

#19 ·
#17 Barry the people of Caister on sea are very proud of the lifeboat heritage, there is a pub still there called the Never Turn Back, and the heritage centre where I work is the old RNLI station, worth a visit for those who are interested.
There is a modern independent lifeboat station with an inshore rib and awb adjacent. Regards Canadian.

#20 ·
I was on the wheel of Stevie Clarkes Washington, dropping the Pilot off at The Sunk and seeing Union Star coming out from Harwich. The Pilot commenting to Capt. Bill Sutherland about the way she was performing, even before she was in open waters and then seeing, 2 days later, the dramatic pictures of her ending along with the Penlee lifeboat. May they all rest in peace.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.