Ships Nostalgia banner

Looking for "El Hind" later called "Jal-Azad" then "State of Bombay"

9K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Gijsha 
#1 ·
Looking for "El Hind" later called "Jal-Azad" then "State of Bombay"

I know she was built by William Hamilton & Co in 1948 for Scindia. Would anyone have photographs ? Also, where exactly was yard 476 in Port Glasgow.

Thanks

#2 ·
DouglasReid said:
I know she was built by William Hamilton & Co in 1948 for Scindia. Would anyone have photographs ? Also, where exactly was yard 476 in Port Glasgow.

Thanks

I think "yard 476" must refer to the shipbuilder's shipyard (or hull) number which is uniqely given to all ships that a shipbuilder constructs. I doubt that it's a place.

Phil

#3 ·
Ahoy Douglas,

I don't think there was a El Hind built in 1948,there were others built in 1928 I believe.
I do have a piccie of her.
Jal-Azad was only buily in 1948

El Hind1928
14th Apr.1944 destroyed in Bombay docks explosion.
5,319 tons
Jal-Azad1948
1954 sold to Shipping Corporation of India Ltd renamed State of Bombay.
8,521 tons

#4 ·
#5 ·
El Hind.

DouglasReid said:

Thanks
My 1963 LLoyds Register reads as follows; State of Bombay launched as El Hind. ex Jal-Azad-1954. Built 1948 at Wm.Hamilton Port Glasgow. GRT8521 NET4393and SDWT 7996. LOA456ft05ins. BEAM61ft.08ins.DRAFT 25ft.10.5ins. Regards Colin

#6 ·
Thanks for the help so far

She was renamed Jal-Azad on the launch slip, Scindia intended using her for the lucrative new pilgrim routes from India/Pakistan to Middle East.

She was renamed "State of Bombay" in 1954 I believe. I know she was scrapped in Bombay in 1952.

I work round the corner from Lloyds Register so I have popped in there a few times to consult the records. Unfortunately the onle El Hind they have a photo of is the one that was destroyed in 1944, and the only Jal Azad they have a photo of is a later one.

I know roughly where Wm Hamilton were, I think it was about where Goliath stands at the moment.

Thanks for all the hel pfrom you all so far though, it is good to be able to confirm these things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.