Common Brothers - Ships Nostalgia
04:07

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Common Brothers

User Tag List

Old 3rd March 2007, 17:28
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1983

Common Brothers

Is there anybody there who sailed with Common Brothers preferably between 1972 and 1980?
Old 3rd March 2007, 20:55

1985 -87 on SPRING DELIGHT although Atlantic Marine were the managers.

Tony.
Old 3rd March 2007, 21:35
shipsivanhoe

My location
les cusiter is a friend of mine.he sailed with them for many years.
Old 25th April 2007, 02:18

I sailed with Common Bros .on the ship Donegal the managers at that time was the Avenue Shipping Company where I was an Ass/Steward .The first mate when I was on her is name was called Jamie he had a piano in his cabin
Barry Wood
Old 25th April 2007, 09:00

I served my time with Common Brothers 1963 -1967, but what did they have to do with the "Donegal"? As far as I know she spent her life with Trinder & Anderson and later with P&O general cargo division.
Old 27th April 2007, 09:49

I have checked the book "The Trades Increase" a history of ships owned and managed by Common Brothers and there is no mention of a "Donegal".
Old 28th April 2007, 14:19

My location
Sailed on Caribbean Endeavour but in Oct.71 though. Dave
Old 13th May 2007, 17:22

I sailed on Caribbean Endeavour as EDH, signed on in Hull 21/9/71 and paid off in New York 3/3/72. It was a largely Hull crowd. Nice ship though.
Old 16th May 2007, 15:26

i sailed with common brothers 1969 to 1979 as 2nd eng and from 72 as
chief eng. iron ore ships/caribbean ro-ros/border boats/etc etc...great times
especially the early days
Old 16th May 2007, 15:29
gdynia gdynia is offline   SN Supporter
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 2010

My location
Tim
You ever come across a couple of lads from South Shields George Wilkie or Alan Lagay
Old 16th May 2007, 15:30
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Greetings Tim H and a warm welcome to the site from a member in the south of England. Thanks for signing on and enjoy the site and the banter that goes with it. Look forward to your contributions. Bon voyage.
Old 16th May 2007, 15:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdynia View Post
Tim
You ever come across a couple of lads from South Shields George Wilkie or Alan Lagay
no sorry dont recall those names.....regards
Old 17th May 2007, 13:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdynia View Post
Tim
I sailed with Alan Lagay on the "Ria Jean McMurtry" in 1973 (I think). The other names from that ship were Capt Daglees, C/O Gerry Screen, Alan was first trip 3rd mate. C/E was Mike Little and the sparks was Hugh McDine. Wild weather and wild times in Canada.
Old 17th May 2007, 16:48

john dagleish is retired and living in cleadon village, spotted a couple of years back. also have seen mike little around (looks just the same) not sure if still working but he has been a super with stevenson clarke in newcastle for many years. i spent some time in that area on product tanker strait of canso. good
days ! regards
Old 19th May 2007, 10:57
Department: Electrician
Active: 1972 - 1974

My father Hugh McArthur sailed with Commons as chief steward from about 1960 to 1981 when he retired. Sadly passed away in January aged 87 would be happy to hear from anyone who remembers him.
Old 25th May 2007, 10:37

I sailed in Aura Adventure, Aura Bravery two product tankers managed by Common Brothers also c/e Spring Delight 1985, Carl Fredriksen master, Dick Coles mate, Paul Hindmarsh 3rd mate, Tommy Little second engineer, Kevin Doyle 3rd engineer, great times Long Beach California
Regards
Peter Price
Old 26th May 2007, 09:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by iain48 View Post
My father Hugh McArthur sailed with Commons as chief steward from about 1960 to 1981 when he retired. Sadly passed away in January aged 87 would be happy to hear from anyone who remembers him.
Sorry to learn about your father, my father also died 7 months ago and I know the feeling, the urge to find out more about their life and times. I can only remember, when mentioned, the name Hugh McArther. Theses are some other names of Chief Stewards that I sailed with in Commons that you might have heard of and if someone else reads this it might jog their memory. Al Topham and Eddie Lee from Middlesborough area, Jimmy Quinn, Jack Collier from Liverpool, Dave Brown from Sunderland. I hope you are able to "fill the gaps". If you are able to come across a copy of the "Common Cryer" there used to be lists of who was on what ship. I unfortunately do not have any copies but someone might have. Good luck.
Old 26th May 2007, 10:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie636 View Post
I sailed in Aura Adventure, Aura Bravery two product tankers managed by Common Brothers also c/e Spring Delight 1985, Carl Fredriksen master, Dick Coles mate, Paul Hindmarsh 3rd mate, Tommy Little second engineer, Kevin Doyle 3rd engineer, great times Long Beach California
Regards
Peter Price
I sailed with Carl Frederiksen when he was C/O on the "Frank D Moores" in 1974/5 and as far as I can remember he got his first command "Fina Britinnia" around 1978. Were the "Aura Adventure" and "Aura Bravery" two of the four 30,000DWT product tankers "Hindustan", "Afganistan" etc that Commons managed or something completely different?
Old 27th May 2007, 07:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRHH View Post
I sailed with Carl Frederiksen when he was C/O on the "Frank D Moores" in 1974/5 and as far as I can remember he got his first command "Fina Britinnia" around 1978. Were the "Aura Adventure" and "Aura Bravery" two of the four 30,000DWT product tankers "Hindustan", "Afganistan" etc that Commons managed or something completely different?
I'm sorry, if I was ever told the original names of these two vessls I can't remember. I think they were 35,000DWT Liberian flag all Korean crew apart from the master and chief engineer. I sailed with Capt. Ian Purvis ex-Mobil, came from the same village as me Seaforth, Liverpool.
Old 27th May 2007, 08:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie636 View Post
I'm sorry, if I was ever told the original names of these two vessls I can't remember. I think they were 35,000DWT Liberian flag all Korean crew apart from the master and chief engineer. I sailed with Capt. Ian Purvis ex-Mobil, came from the same village as me Seaforth, Liverpool.
Just found a photo of the "Hindustan" at www.photoship.co.uk looks very familiar. Do you have any history of it.
Regards Peter.

Last edited by Ernie636; 27th May 2007 at 08:33..
Old 30th May 2007, 10:14

Common Brothers

I eventually found the photographs on the photoship link. The vessel I am referring to is marked as "Hindustan 02". If so she was the last of 4 sisters built at Redheads on the Tyne. The first 2 were the "Frank D Moores" and the "Joseph R Smallwood". They were built as pure product carriers and only had sparse heating coils in the cargo tanks used for ballast to stop it from freezing. The second pair were the "Strait of Canso" and the "Hindustan". Same size of ship but were fitted with a full set of heating coils for black oil. I think I am right in saying that the first cargo carried by one of them, I think the "Hindustan", was wheat to Italy!! The "Frank D Moores" became the "Kurdistan" which broke in two off Canada due to a faulty weld in a bilge keel. They were nice ships to sail on, well kitted out but not excessively so. Do you know what happened to them or the people who sailed on them?
Old 30th May 2007, 11:11

My location
Three other Guys I met GRHH from Common Brothers were Willy Fitzsimmons, Peter D,Arcy and a Irish Lad called Eamon all at South Shields College 1972.
Old 31st May 2007, 09:58

Commons

Gdynia, you must have been in phase 3 when I was in phase 1. I did my induction at Shields in November 1972. Only met Willy once, at Shields and he was tired and emotional. I sailed with Pete D'Arcy's brother Mike on the "Caribbean Endeavour" and met a number of Irish lads called Eamon but the one, I think, who was in that intake of cadets I met when the tall ships came to Belfast some 14 or 15 years ago and he was skipper of the Irish sail training vessel (his name will come back to me at some stage). Are you able to tell me what is Alan Lagey doing now?
Old 31st May 2007, 10:09

My location
GRHH
I keep in touch with Alan when he left Commons he had a fishing boat for several years. When times were bad I got him a start on a Diving vessel with me. When the company packed up Alan went to work in Morcambe Bay on the Standby vessels. Last time I spoke to him he was working offshore on the rigs in the North Sea. The other guy I forgot from Commons was Peter Johnston from Sunderland who later on was Old Man with Stevie Clarkes
Old 1st June 2007, 09:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRHH View Post
I eventually found the photographs on the photoship link. The vessel I am referring to is marked as "Hindustan 02". If so she was the last of 4 sisters built at Redheads on the Tyne. The first 2 were the "Frank D Moores" and the "Joseph R Smallwood". They were built as pure product carriers and only had sparse heating coils in the cargo tanks used for ballast to stop it from freezing. The second pair were the "Strait of Canso" and the "Hindustan". Same size of ship but were fitted with a full set of heating coils for black oil. I think I am right in saying that the first cargo carried by one of them, I think the "Hindustan", was wheat to Italy!! The "Frank D Moores" became the "Kurdistan" which broke in two off Canada due to a faulty weld in a bilge keel. They were nice ships to sail on, well kitted out but not excessively so. Do you know what happened to them or the people who sailed on them?
From your info I would think the Aura Bravery and Aura Adventure would have been the last two ships built at Redheads. They were both 17,795 GT, I seem to remember one of them had traded on the Canadian coast. As I 've mentioned they had Korean crew, master and chief engineer brits. I'm afraid I have no info of their fate.