Ellerman Hall Line Ltd, Liverpool - Ships Nostalgia
07:42

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Ellerman Hall Line Ltd, Liverpool

User Tag List

Old 13th December 2013, 13:12
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1957 - 1991

Ellerman Hall Line Ltd, Liverpool

Does anyone know what happened to the records of Hall Line when the office in Water Street closed in the '60's ? Some went to the Maritime Museum but there does appear to be many plans of Hall Line owned/managed ships which appear to be missing. Oh for Douggie Heggs (?) he would certainly have known. Any indicators would be appreciated.
Old 13th December 2013, 13:45
Organisation: Royal Navy
Active: 1976 - 1988

Hall line records are, I believe, held at the Merseyside Maritime Museum: http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/m...spx?sheetid=23
There are also records at the Glasgow Archives.

Regards
Hugh
Paid it in full”
Old 13th December 2013, 14:51

Ellerman Hall Line, Liverpool.

Thank you Hugh for your suggestion. I am looking specifically for various plans of 'City of Lyons' which I know were held by Hall Line in Water Street in the early 1960's having had access to them thru Dougie Heggs (?) when up for my Master's ticket. After trying to interpolate the LNM website I cannot seem to find what I am looking for on line so thought that someone may be able to specifically point me.
Regards
Peter
Old 13th December 2013, 15:47
Organisation: Royal Navy
Active: 1976 - 1988

Peter,
Would be worth contacting Glasgow Archives. I got the plans there albeit incomplete for 'CITY OF CAIRO'.

http://www.gla.ac.uk/services/archives/collections/

http://www.gla.ac.uk/search/results/...sSubmit=search

Regards
Hugh
Paid it in full”
Old 14th December 2013, 13:17

I remember Duggie Heggs very well, he sailed as 3rd. mate with my late Father.
I understand Duggie had a serious head injury while serving aboard a Hall Line vessel, which affected his eye sight, & resulted in him being unable to continue seagoing. However he was given a job in the Hall Line office in Liverpool,& became (Mr.Fix It )
Old 14th December 2013, 18:00
Department: Navigation
Active: 1959 - 1977

I served my time with the Hall Line starting on the City of Madras 23/10/59. The name Duggie Heggs sounds familiar. Wonderful days.
Old 15th December 2013, 12:59

Ellerman Hall Line

Dougie Heggs was worth his weight in gold to the Liverpool office. My experience with him was that nothing was too much trouble and he certainly managed to get a lot of things done that Superintendents and others seemed to baulk at !

Michael, you must have been one of the last to be indentured to Hall Line as my memory tends me to think that all that side of things reverted to London not long after. Never sailed in the 'Mad Rush' but passed her at sea a couple of times. My indentures were dated 11 November4 1957. I think that it is the Glasgow archives which has a Hall Line ledger book recording apprentices of the late 50's.

Thank you Jumperstay for your input. I had forgotten DH's background.

Unfortunately I have still had no luck as yet re plans for City of Lyons.
Old 15th December 2013, 13:12

Peter: Two of us from School of Nav,Warsash interviewed at the Hall Line office in July of 59 but you are correct as shortly after that we ended up reporting to Leadenhall Street in London. I remember the Madras being called "The Hall Line Flyer". Last saw her in KaoShung awaiting the breakers yard.
Old 24th December 2013, 18:43
Organisation: Port Authorities
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1962 - 2010

Re Hall Line

I was indentured to Hall Line (Deck Apprentice) and joined my 1st ship the City of Guilford in Jan. 1962 in Newport, the C/O was Ken McLean if my memory is correct. All my vessel's during my indenture period were Hall Line vessels and I was managed from Liverpool, my other vessels in this time were :- Agra (C/O George Salter) then 3 UK / Japan voyages on the Wellington and a couple more I completed my Apprentiship on the New York ( was promoted to 4th Mate when we arrived in Karachi and the Extra 3rd Mate signed off to go home to Basra). On obtaining my 2nd Mates certificate I joined the Brisbane as 3rd Mate. My last deep sea voyages were on the Winchester (it's last MANZ and all UK / South Africa runs ) as 2nd Mate Master was Tommy Rigg, C/O Tony Evans and 1/O Frank McKenna. Tommy and myself were at the hand over to Ben Line in a Cardiff drydock. I left Ellerman's in about 1973.
Old 24th December 2013, 21:34
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
During the time that I was on the City of Lucknow (September '61 to April '63) which was built in 1946 for the Hall Line, we variously sailed under the Hall Line, City Line and Ellerman Bucknall house flags. Depended on what run we were given.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 25th December 2013, 12:18

Eric, I remember your name. I joined the Guildford as apprentice 7/62. I also sailed with Tony and Capt. Rigg on the Winchester....memorable times.
Old 3rd October 2014, 09:13

Served my apprenticeship with Hall Line - my first ship 'City of Leicester' joined her in West India Dock January 1948 straight from Warsash. Captain was Thomas Handley (believe it or not). Only 13 European officers. My fellow cadet was Bill Harris. Spent most of my apprenticeship on the 'City of Tokio' I was last person left onboard when she was collected for scrapping in Glasgow
Old 3rd October 2014, 18:21
Organisation: Port Authorities
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1962 - 2010

Re Hall Line

Hi bardig, from the dates you give you are 13/14 years older than me. Did you serve with Ellermans between '61 & '73. If so you must have been 2/0 or C/O during my time with them. What vessels in that time range? Regards Eric.
Old 5th October 2014, 09:12

Good morning Eric - left Hall Line in 1954 when I got my First Mate' ticket at Warsash (Ellermans could not give me a 2nd Mates berth) . Joined Trinder Anderson as second mate of 'Kaipaki' and stayed with them until I got my Master's ticket in 1957. Then came ashore as Cargo Superintendent (relieving Captain Mclean) loading NZS and Federal vessels on a trial basis. After 6 months offered full time post until containerization in 1973 made my job redundant.
Old 6th March 2015, 10:45

Captain Thomas Handley

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardig View Post
Served my apprenticeship with Hall Line - my first ship 'City of Leicester' joined her in West India Dock January 1948 straight from Warsash. Captain was Thomas Handley (believe it or not). Only 13 European officers. My fellow cadet was Bill Harris. Spent most of my apprenticeship on the 'City of Tokio' I was last person left onboard when she was collected for scrapping in Glasgow
Bardig doing some internet research and saw your quote on Thomas Handley and any info on him would be appreciated. He is my wife's grandfather. I know he was master of city of Wellington and picked up survivors from robin moor in 41 regards barry Luxton