Common Brothers - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
16:37

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Common Brothers

User Tag List

Old 2nd June 2007, 01:31

"Joseph R. Smallwood", completed 1972, 1976 renamed "Afghanistan", 1980 renamed "Newburn", 1981 sold, renamed "Aquarius", 1988 "Ascot", 1991 "Polare", 1993 "Monte Chiaro", 5 June 2000 arrived Chittagong to be broken up.
"Frank D. Moores", completed 1973, 1976 renamed "Kurdistan", 1979 broke in two, new forepart fitted, renamed "Simonburn"1982 sold, renamed "Aura Bravery", 1986 "Seabravery", 13 June 2000 arrived Alang for breaking up.
"Strait of Canso", completed 1975, 1982 sold, renamed "Aura Adventure", 1985 "Seaborn", 1989 "Xiang Hai" (China). Believed still in service.
"Hindustan", completed 1976, 1978 sold Marsden Point Tankers (NZ), renamed "Amokura", 1993 "Transporter LT", 1998 "Eastman Spirit", 2003 "Global Spirit", 2004 "Global Spirit III", 2005 "Northsea", 29 May 2007, struck by lightning, explosion & fire, foundered.
Old 2nd June 2007, 09:02
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1983

Common brothers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Edge View Post
"Joseph R. Smallwood", completed 1972, 1976 renamed "Afghanistan", 1980 renamed "Newburn", 1981 sold, renamed "Aquarius", 1988 "Ascot", 1991 "Polare", 1993 "Monte Chiaro", 5 June 2000 arrived Chittagong to be broken up.
"Frank D. Moores", completed 1973, 1976 renamed "Kurdistan", 1979 broke in two, new forepart fitted, renamed "Simonburn"1982 sold, renamed "Aura Bravery", 1986 "Seabravery", 13 June 2000 arrived Alang for breaking up.
"Strait of Canso", completed 1975, 1982 sold, renamed "Aura Adventure", 1985 "Seaborn", 1989 "Xiang Hai" (China). Believed still in service.
"Hindustan", completed 1976, 1978 sold Marsden Point Tankers (NZ), renamed "Amokura", 1993 "Transporter LT", 1998 "Eastman Spirit", 2003 "Global Spirit", 2004 "Global Spirit III", 2005 "Northsea", 29 May 2007, struck by lightning, explosion & fire, foundered.

This information has fill a great gap for me, thank you very much. I was horrified that the "Northsea" ex Hindustan had come to such an end and so recently. Do you have any other info, casualties, location?
Old 3rd June 2007, 08:24

Lat 04.44N, Long 02.34E, which puts her off the coast of Ghana. 22 survivors, 4 dead, 3 missing.
Old 4th June 2007, 16:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Edge View Post
Thanks Dave for posting this info, it's always nice to know what happened to "old flames"

Cheers Peter
Old 8th June 2007, 22:30

Ships were built without any heating coils,these were retro fitted to the FD Moores (Kurdistan) in dry dock October 1978, left South Shields for Aruba, then discharged New York,had a couple of x atlantic runs then loaded Point Tupper Cct first cargo of heavy fuel oil for Canada. Got as far as Newfoundland straights snapped in half March 79. Got into lifeboat never to return.

Regards Stuart.
Old 12th June 2007, 15:34

Hi,
I sailed with your dad on one of the Border Boats, could have been Regiment, Lass, Castle, Shepherd, Falcon.

My career started in Jan 1964 as Cadet on the Border Regiment, then Lass , Castle, Hopecrag( cadet then 3/0) , Regiment, Lass (2/0), Warbah, Falcon, Shepherd.

I can remember your Dad logging cadets beer down as soap Powder, toothpaste, etc. we should have been the cleanest apprentices at sea.

Having left Commons in 1976 thanks to very long trips and a small family I went on the coast for a number of years.

Sorry to hear of Hughie, he enjoyed a tot himself, it kept him going many years it seems.

All the best.
Old 12th June 2007, 17:05

Comman Brothers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRHH View Post
Is there anybody there who sailed with Common Brothers preferably between 1972 and 1980?
My name is Jim Strugnell and i sailed on the Iron Crown i cant remember the year as ive lost my first distcharge book, but i think it was about 72.I have to admit it was not the best of trips. Went to Seven Isles and payed of in Barry.
Old 19th June 2007, 13:47

Hi,

Do you know if Eddie Nurse was C/E on the Frank D Moores when she split in
two.

I sailed with him on the Border Minstrel in 1957.
Old 8th August 2007, 22:09

hello just seen message. i sailed on the simonburn . jan 72 / aug 72. anygood. cheers glenn.
Old 13th August 2007, 17:26

I sailed with Common Bros twice the Langley which we joined in Trieste She was an old French tanker I think called the Petrolia Butmah.We sailed to the gulf via Karachi. we had broke down chasing rain clouds to catch rain water in a sheet of canvase rigged up on poop deck this was poured into the water tank as we were running low on water (we got a bucket of water a day after we broke down)I cooked eggs for breakfast on a burning torch in engine room you had thought I had cleaned the scavengers when I came ( black with soot) out with a zinc bucket full of boiled eggs After 10 days or so adrift the engineers finaly got boilers going and we went to karachi for repairs, on the plus side the store room was full of wine tanks full of wine so we were resonably happy. We got 50 00 hardship money from the company the other Common bros ship was the Simonburn she carried rolles of paper and containers
Old 13th August 2007, 21:37

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone would remember any of the directors of "Common Bros" One of them was at one time 2nd. Engineer aboard the "Umtali" Natal line Cannot remember his name, but would be interested to hear if anyone knew him
best wishes Will
Old 14th August 2007, 10:41

My location
Hi, Common Bros of Newcastle upon Tyne had the Patriarch Mr Elliot Common when I joined in 1960. His sons Sandy and John Common were also owner /directors. Bob Ebdon was manager and Bruce Swinbanks personnel.
They managed the "Border Tankers" for BP, the "stan" ships for Kuwait Oil Company, Iron ore vessels for BISCO, and some general cargo such as North Devon, Woodburn at various times. ( I was on Woodburn when we hit Horsburgh Reef in Singapore at full speed after Mate fell asleep in 1963)
Of course the company was taken over in the 70's I think by the Swan Hunter Group. KOC took back their own management in about 73 and many staff moved over to Globtik Tankers.

Happy Days,
Roy
Old 3rd September 2007, 17:02
Department: Engineering
Active: 1964 - 1996

i sailed with common bros about that time. ships, vento di scirocco, cheshire venture, kurdistan and afghanistan. george bainbridge was 2E with wife & kids when kurdistan broke back. i relieved john winton on kurdistan at smiths when she was fitted with heating coils. bill rotheram was CE, and betty box the old man. sailed with charlie louis, dave sterling, les farquhar,wild willie woodburnand ken alsharaida. happy days. anyone remember cap bill fraser, CE lord kitchener, 3E peter gardiner, CE mel allen. happy days indeed. ccurtis1
Old 16th October 2007, 19:51

common bros

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccurtis1 View Post
i sailed with common bros about that time. ships, vento di scirocco, cheshire venture, kurdistan and afghanistan. george bainbridge was 2E with wife & kids when kurdistan broke back. i relieved john winton on kurdistan at smiths when she was fitted with heating coils. bill rotheram was CE, and betty box the old man. sailed with charlie louis, dave sterling, les farquhar,wild willie woodburnand ken alsharaida. happy days. anyone remember cap bill fraser, CE lord kitchener, 3E peter gardiner, CE mel allen. happy days indeed. ccurtis1
i too sailed with john winton/bill rotheram (my first C/E on iron horse)/les farquhar/mel allen/charlie louis(last seen running pub in durham city). i sailed a couple of trips or so on strait of canso (capt. ian taylor last seen in miami as marine super with cct), one of the redhead built product tankers, sharing job with gerry brennan.(chief engineer). ships were built for new refinery at Come by Chance which never really got going. ships were to carry jet fuel to kennedy and montreal airports. despite failure of refinery we did spend alot of time in st. lawrence and newfoundland on various charters (golden eagle) with occasional voyages to caribbean and europe. and alot of time at anchor in newfie too(for fishing!)
regards
Old 18th October 2007, 14:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIM HUDSON View Post
i too sailed with john winton/bill rotheram (my first C/E on iron horse)/les farquhar/mel allen/charlie louis(last seen running pub in durham city). i sailed a couple of trips or so on strait of canso (capt. ian taylor last seen in miami as marine super with cct), one of the redhead built product tankers, sharing job with gerry brennan.(chief engineer). ships were built for new refinery at Come by Chance which never really got going. ships were to carry jet fuel to kennedy and montreal airports. despite failure of refinery we did spend alot of time in st. lawrence and newfoundland on various charters (golden eagle) with occasional voyages to caribbean and europe. and alot of time at anchor in newfie too(for fishing!)
regards
Hello Tim. We never met but I knew of you through Chris ???? C/E who was on the Afghan. He Knew you from the Fina B. Good company Commons, even the office staff were good. Brucie and Anne in personnel, and Frankie Scott, Alan Howe and Bill Hepburn Eng Supers. Alan Howe came to 'V' Ships as Super, where we renewed our acquaintence. Alan was a great mate of Albert le Blond, who went on to own Greenwells. Fishing was excellent in Newfie I agree.
Regards, ccurtis1
Old 24th October 2007, 20:22

Hello once again Tim, Would it be Chris Hinchcliffe, the C/E on the Afghan?
Regards,ccurtis1
Old 26th October 2007, 22:04

Yes I still see chris hinchcliffe on occasion. He lives in Moffat. After Commons he worked for many years with British Gas on their pipelines and pumping stations/distribution. Now retired but spends lots of time with his yacht....even rounding the Horn.... will remind him of you.
regards tim
Old 28th October 2007, 21:04

i never sailed with commons but reading the postings a couple of names jump out.peter johnson from sunderland,i sailed with him around 82/83 on the ashington he was 2nd mate so its good to hear he became skipper.and yes mike little he was a super for stevies at the same time.going back to commons a friend of mine sailed as bosun for a few years around the mid seventies on the strait of canso ,his name is tony goicoeachea ,living in north shields.does anyone remember him?
Old 28th October 2007, 22:12

Common Bros

Greetings,
My first trip to sea was on the Hindustan and I joined her in Wallsend in 1978.I was on the run job out to Singapore when she was sold to the New Zealanders.
I also sailed on a ship called the Alakhram, also in 1978, which we joined in Lagos, Nigeria. We were at anchor off there for weeks and when we finally went alongside, it took the shoresiders 10 days to unload us. The ship was only 1500 tons and we were carrying medical supplies and collapsable bicycles for Biafra.
I work at the moment with Tony Goiccochea on the Pacific Nuclear Transport ships managed by J. Fisher & Sons, Barrow. He is a Bosun and came from Stevies.
Best regards Mick Pearson
Old 4th November 2007, 14:24
Catering 1958 - 2007
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1958 - 2007

I sailed on the Bo Bengtsson (Managed by Commons) in 1984

Ray
Old 19th November 2007, 02:42

I sailed in motor tanker Kurdistan from September 57 until March 1958 Master was Captain Southcombe
Old 2nd March 2008, 11:13

New member sailed with Common Bros from 1966 till the late 1970s,mainly on
Border boats then on Carib boats.Best boat was the Border Castle worst
Caribbean Venture
peter.r
Old 8th May 2008, 11:10

Just came across this site - brings back loads of great memories.

I joined Common Bros in 1974 as a deck app and worked my way up to the lofty position of 2nd mate in 1979.

Served on the following:
Border Falcon
IDA Lundrigan (ex Carribean Progress I think)
Caribbean Endeavour (twice)
Hindustan
City of Pretoria
Farid Fares (can still smell the sheep !)

Names seem distant to me now but do remember the following capts , Dominic Martucci, Bill Frazer, Ian Burton (big white beard) and Bill Desey. Also those at college in the same group, Warren Newton, Colin Harris, and some others that I am sure will come to me later.

Had some great times in Canada on the IDA , anybody remember that run.

Ken Coldrick
Old 25th June 2008, 08:54

My location
Hi ex Commons guys - I sent away for the book "The Trades Increase" from Amazon and thoroughly enjoyed reading the history of Commons. Although I worked for them 12 years never knew so much about the company and family. Amazing how often they had to put their own houses/money on the line to keep afloat - we always said we had never seen a poor shipowner or farmer - but it does open your eyes.
I was very sorry to hear that my good friend and fellow cadet John K.F. Scott from Devon had passed away a year or two back. We had great times as two 18 year olds around the world on Woodburn for about 20 months ( including 3 ind Singapore after we ran aground on Horsburgh Reef in Feb 63.
Keep up the threads,
Roy Swan ( New Zealand)

Last edited by Roys1; 25th June 2008 at 08:56..
Old 25th June 2008, 09:45
Active: 1972 - Present

My location
Amokura ex-Hindustan was my first merchant ship, and I spent several happy years there as a Junior Engineer. She was very comfortable, and a well-built ship. I too was shocked to read recently on SN that she had gone down off Ghana.