Birkenhead Docks Great Float and the Vittoria - Ships Nostalgia
23:29

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Birkenhead Docks Great Float and the Vittoria

User Tag List

Old 5th June 2017, 07:16

Birkenhead Docks Great Float and the Vittoria

Hello Lads
Not sure how you will feel when you see this YouTube video of a famous and familiar dock in Birkenhead with sadly not ship in sight. Neverthless it might evoke some happy memories of bygone days.

Also thanks to all the men and women who took part in the D-Day landings.

Cheers to all at SN.
Succour

Old 5th June 2017, 11:30
Active: 1954 - 1981

wheres the Duke gone
Old 5th June 2017, 11:31
Active: 1954 - 1981

and gladis who used to sing HONKY TONK ANGELS
Old 5th June 2017, 12:30

Ships I joined there ,the Empire Halladale,the Roquane,and the last time I sailed out of there was on the yacht Rossell,when I was privelleged to be invited to help sail her around to the Indefatigable to have her careened by the late Bob Harrison an old ex Inde old boys member,a hectic and wonderfull joyful little trip.
Old 5th June 2017, 21:14

This is mainly filmed above the East Float with Vittoria Dock over to the left and West float away beyond Duke St Bridge. Good shots of Spiller's Flour Mills now turned into yuppie apartments, and the remains of the Manganese Bronze works which manufactured propellers for much of the world's shipping over many years.
I sailed in and out of these docks many times and worked on them as a crane driver for ten years. sad to see the inevitable decline. However, there are grandiose plans by Peel Ports to enable the largest regeneration project in the UK, Wirral Waters is a complementary 30-year scheme to Liverpool Waters, focused on transforming the semi-derelict Birkenhead dock system. A mixed use, sustainable ‘city extension’, Wirral Waters has planning approval over nearly 120 hectares with a total development value of £5 billion. Some work has started in the area to the East of Bidston Graving Docks.

See attached an artist's impression of the scheme, looking West
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ww-header-1.jpg (265.3 KB, 46 views)
Old 5th June 2017, 21:31
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1957 - 1969

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Succour View Post
Hello Lads
Not sure how you will feel when you see this YouTube video of a famous and familiar dock in Birkenhead with sadly not ship in sight. Neverthless it might evoke some happy memories of bygone days.

Also thanks to all the men and women who took part in the D-Day landings.

Cheers to all at SN.
Succour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYQIFPWHA4o
Not a Bluey to be seen
Old 5th June 2017, 23:12
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1971 - 1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by DURANGO View Post
Not a Bluey to be seen
Found this on YouTube
Some Blueys here
Old 5th June 2017, 23:42

My location
That brings happy memories of Birkenhead . I joined the Port Vindex in October 1958 in the West Float . Also many happy memories of Liverpool . Both in Coast Line And later joining a few Port Line ships there . Oh great days .
Alex .
Old 6th June 2017, 07:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerton View Post
That brings happy memories of Birkenhead . I joined the Port Vindex in October 1958 in the West Float . Also many happy memories of Liverpool . Both in Coast Line And later joining a few Port Line ships there . Oh great days .
Alex .
That way of life life spoil me Alex it,s a pity I never knew it at the time but at least we where there regards Dave .
Old 6th June 2017, 07:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Hay View Post
Found this on YouTube
Some Blueys here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt5rnnP11M8
Many thanks Ian it just goes to show someone is keeping a good look out regards Dave .
Old 6th June 2017, 08:09

My location
Yes Dave . When I think back I just wish that had gone deep sea much earlier than I did . My time in Port Line was a very good experience and time . Many happy memories .
Alex .
Old 6th June 2017, 08:25
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 1988

How clean and clinical the present pictures show,in the early 60s the lines of Blue Funnel and Clan Line ships in Vittoria docks could be seen every day of the week,one thing that I recall quite vividly was the putrid smells as you walked through the cargo sheds which never seemed to be cleaned after loading of vessels was completed,nevertheless many happy memories of my seagoing career.
Old 6th June 2017, 13:25
Active: 1955 - Present

Memories of coxing 8's and 4's through the dock system for the school rowing club. Was thrown in quite often when I was made cox of the first 8 and we had a winning season. No ill effects. My Uncle had a pub just up the hill from the bridge between West Float and the last dock, was it Bidston Dock? I think it was called The Lighthouse? Memory block at the moment but it is 63 years ago! Thanks for the posts.
Old 6th June 2017, 20:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by stehogg View Post
How clean and clinical the present pictures show,in the early 60s the lines of Blue Funnel and Clan Line ships in Vittoria docks could be seen every day of the week,one thing that I recall quite vividly was the putrid smells as you walked through the cargo sheds which never seemed to be cleaned after loading of vessels was completed,nevertheless many happy memories of my seagoing career.
The sheds were cleaned when the ship sailed. The stevedoring firm involved in the loading were obliged to send a gang in to clear away all rubbish and brush out thoroughly. I have seen them using Atlas and long handled scrapers to get spillage of oil/grease etc from the floor. The firm I worked for, A E Smith Coggins were punctilious in this regard, it was done on the next working day, in every case.
Old 6th June 2017, 20:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodend View Post
Memories of coxing 8's and 4's through the dock system for the school rowing club. Was thrown in quite often when I was made cox of the first 8 and we had a winning season. No ill effects. My Uncle had a pub just up the hill from the bridge between West Float and the last dock, was it Bidston Dock? I think it was called The Lighthouse? Memory block at the moment but it is 63 years ago! Thanks for the posts.
It wasn't The Lighthouse, That's my local, in Wallasey Village. It was probably The Eagle in Limekiln Lane, known as 'Blowers', or The Pool Inn at the corner of Poulton Rd and Poulton Bridge Rd, now demolished.
PS, anyone who fell in the dock in my time, was rushed to hospital to have their stomach pumped!

Pat
Old 1st September 2017, 06:37

Bikenhead Docks

Hello Lads.

Here's a nice artists impression of those famous Docks and an interesting poster of the day when the Dock accident occurred.
The painting is how I want to remember that period of my life.

All the best to all SN members.
Succour
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vittoria Docks.jpg (85.2 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Vittoria Dock mining disaster.jpg (93.7 KB, 49 views)
Old 1st September 2017, 07:45

Succour,

Thank you for posting the wonderful painting!

Is it yours?