Brocks Menu - Ships Nostalgia
15:18

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Brocks Menu

User Tag List

Old 23rd November 2017, 21:37

My location
Brocks Menu

I enjoyed much of Brock's feeding, though not the weevils in the Weetabix, nor odd entomological slices in one thinly cut meat loaf, nor an occasional strand of fried, thinly sliced onion that turned out to be a 'steam fly'. I would not touch the 'China Chiloa' after that. Do I have the name/spelling right? China Chiloa was a curried mince laced with peas and fried onion. I've tried Google but the 'brain of the world' has not heard of it.
Old 24th November 2017, 10:22

Sounds like this maybe dry mince curry - and kind of sweep up of all the left over odds and ends with peas?
Old 24th November 2017, 15:35
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1957 - 1967

It proved a great way to develop a taste for curries. There was also provided some amusement when watching junior HM Customs officers very quickly realising the curry with which they had piled their plate was actually very spicy hot and struggled to finish!

Last edited by Riccarton; 24th November 2017 at 15:39..
Old 24th November 2017, 19:29

IN ww2 Brocks feeding was pretty rotten. Fresh food was scarce. We were told that fresh veg n the Susez anal was too expensive whereas it was dirt cheap ( as I found out in tankers later). Boiled puddings served e.ach day under various names - Victoria, College, BalckCap. They were all the same - just the location of the odd raisin It was jokingly said that the cook clombed the ladder up th efunnel with a handful of currants and threw them down the galley skyight - ad it depended how far he climbed which decided their position .
Old 2nd December 2017, 15:55
Department: Purser
Active: 1966 - 1976

Susez Anal? sounds alright to me
Old 2nd December 2017, 15:56
Department: Purser
Active: 1966 - 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidsal View Post
IN ww2 Brocks feeding was pretty rotten. Fresh food was scarce. We were told that fresh veg n the Susez anal was too expensive whereas it was dirt cheap ( as I found out in tankers later). Boiled puddings served e.ach day under various names - Victoria, College, BalckCap. They were all the same - just the location of the odd raisin It was jokingly said that the cook clombed the ladder up th efunnel with a handful of currants and threw them down the galley skyight - ad it depended how far he climbed which decided their position .
I would imagine in WW2 the food was pretty grim everywhere.
Old 2nd December 2017, 19:09

Alan
Actually food was OK at sea in ww2. I was in Brocks 43 to 47 and tankers were much better feeders than Brocks. Mind you the old Maihar my first ship
had no refrigeration or running water so things were a bit primitive