Blue Funnel Crew Lists - Ships Nostalgia
03:07

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Blue Funnel Crew Lists

User Tag List

Old 26th June 2007, 14:59
Organisation: Royal Navy
Active: 1978 - 2001

My location
Blue Funnel Crew Lists

My Uncle worked Blue Funnel Line Ships as an Engineer from the late 30's, his last ship was in the mid 70's, I know he was a Chief Eng. when he left the company, and that one of his ships was torpedoed and sunk by the Japanese in WW2, apart from this I have no record of what ships he served on, Is there a resource for Alfred Holt Crew lists available on line or does this need to be done at Kew?

Or perhaps I may be really luck and some of his old shipmates may be members of this site? He was called Bob Vart (He unfortunately died in 1994), He has a son, also called Bob Vart - also with Blue Funnel as an Engineer, he left in the mid 80's and now lives in Hong Kong.

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Tom Vart
Old 26th June 2007, 16:31
Active: 1976 - 1988

Hello Tom,

Do you have your uncles date and place of birth?
If you need to find out the ships he served on then best get his CRS10 Form (service record) from Kew. I can advise if required.

Regards
Paid it in full”
Old 26th June 2007, 16:41

My location
Hi Hugh,

Thanks for the prompt response, he was a Geordie - Birth: 25 Jun 1916-Jarrow. Death:1993 - In Wallasey.
Can I get the info from Kew by 'snailmail' and quoting his DOB (and obviously providing the all important shekels?), Is his CRS10 his Seamans Book? (I have my grandfathers from WW1).

Regards,

Tom
Old 26th June 2007, 18:04

Seamans Records

Hello Tom,

His CRS10 Form will contain much of the information that is in his DIS A (seamans book) but also probably more.

I wonder if this is your uncle: Robert Vart, Date of Birth 25/6/1916, Service Number 1058258 If so he has a file in BT391/110/115 here: http://urlx.org/gov.uk/4f2ceCVART&accessmethod=0

These records detail the sea service record of merchant seamen engaged in the liberation of Europe (6 June 1944 to 8 May 1945). They give the seaman's name, discharge 'A' number, rank or rating and qualifications together with details of the ships on which they served.

His CRS10 Form may be held in the Fifth Register of Seaman's Service
in piece details BT382/1845 here: http://urlx.org/gov.uk/e0bcc Note the Fifth Register will only give service from 1941. Prior to that, his service may be recorded in the Fourth Register and that is not online but I can give details if required.

If you hit the link and then "Request this" and follow instructions. You need to be specific and ask for the CRS10 for Robert Vart 25/6/1916 born Jarrow.

The cost is £8.50 for up to 10 pages delivered to your email address within 24 hours on a no find no fee basis.

If you think the first link I gave is your uncle then following that link and the instructions will also cost £8.50 because it is a separate file.

I hope that helps

Regards

p.s. There is a medal listing for Robert Vart also at the TNA Kew in this file: http://urlx.org/gov.uk/a7993
This is available for £3.50.
Paid it in full”

Last edited by Hugh MacLean; 26th June 2007 at 18:32..
Old 27th June 2007, 08:14

My location
Hugh,

Your a veritable mine of information and an absolute star, thank you very much for your help, I will take a look at this at the weekend and let you know how I get on, Thanks again for your help.

Kind Regards,

Tom
Old 30th June 2007, 21:32

My location
Whilst I was researching the book, The Surgeon's Log, a few years ago, I was able to obtain a copy of the crew list from the The Memorial University, St. Johns, Newfoundland at a cost of $40. I understand that this came about on account of our Public Records Office, Kew, being obliged to find other space in maritime archives willing to take the overflow.
In the book all names are fictitious and the ship was known as the CLYTEMNESTRA. She was in fact the 1906 POLYPHEMUS, and the voyage, to Japan & Java, took place from January to June 1907. The book became a travel classic and went to 31 editions, the last one being dedicated to the author's daughter whom I met when she visited in 1996 bringing with her the journal kept by her father during the voyage. I also had two visits from the 85 year old son of the 2nd mate of the POLYPHEMUS. Both of these people have since died. Anyone interested is welcome to contact me for the full story. Hugh Ferguson.
Old 21st December 2008, 18:51

Tom

I sailed with Bob Vart about 1973 on the Glen Line "Glenalmond". He was Chief Engineer and I remember him well.

Allan
Old 25th December 2008, 22:56

My location
Allan,
Thanks for your post, and pleased to meet you......I hadnt realised Uncle Bob served with Glen line as well as Holt/Blue Flu or are they one and the same?
Bob always used to tell me some fascinating stories of his time at sea - If you have any anectdotes of Bob I would love to hear them?

kind regards,

Tom
Old 26th December 2008, 03:07

Tom,
Although you have not addressed this post directly to me allow me to answer.
Glen Line and Blue Funnel were indeed run as one and the same.
Old 26th December 2008, 09:54

My location
Ocean Seadog,
VMT for putting me right, I hadnt realised that they were one outfit, do you know the reason for this? Was it perhaps two companies who merged but managed to keep thier outer identities?
Thanks again
Regards
Tom
Old 26th December 2008, 11:34

Tom,
Forget about reading books and listen to those who have the experience and and seniority to know. To all intents and purposes they were run as one and the same.
Old 26th December 2008, 15:03
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1964 - 1967

My location
Would support the view expressed by R651400. Ocean Seadog displays an arrogance that is considered deliberate rather than an unfortunate writing style, as evidenced on another thread (Blue Funnell Myths and Legends).

I had just completed a comprehensive response to that thread a short while ago, and posted it, when a message came up advising that due to the negative nature of that particular thread further postings were not being accepted, i.e. thread closed. Most unfortunate, as I wanted Ocean Seadog to hear what I had to say, even though I realise it would have made little difference in his viewpoint and attitude. The acerbic nature of his postings is very unfortunate as some of what he has to say could be educational and of interest, but it is negated by the haughty and superior stance he adopts. Could he just be teasing us all, for simple devilment, or is he really like this? Mmmmm ....

Last edited by eriskay; 26th December 2008 at 15:04.. Reason: spelling correction - 'some'
Old 26th December 2008, 15:39

My location
Cool it please, Gentlemen.
Please read the guidelines about posting the post not the poster.
One thread about Blue Funnel has already been shut down because of name calling, back biting, pointless posting, etc.
Let's all remember that this is the season of good will and refrain from this bickering at least until the new year is born.
Old 26th December 2008, 16:04

My location
I agree 100% - the bickering (and the imflammatory posts that usually precede it) does no good to the reputation or credibility of the posters and will just put people off using the site. Friendly banter is one thing - a lot of these posts are not friendly banter.

If you think your present or past company is better than the rest - good for you - there is nothing wrong with loyalty - just don't keep going on about it (BTW this is a general comment and not directed at Blue Flue people!).

If you see a post like that please ignore it and help us avoid Groundhog Day.
Old 26th December 2008, 16:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriskay View Post
Would support the view expressed by R651400. Ocean Seadog displays an arrogance that is considered deliberate rather than an unfortunate writing style, as evidenced on another thread (Blue Funnell Myths and Legends).

I had just completed a comprehensive response to that thread a short while ago, and posted it, when a message came up advising that due to the negative nature of that particular thread further postings were not being accepted, i.e. thread closed. Most unfortunate, as I wanted Ocean Seadog to hear what I had to say, even though I realise it would have made little difference in his viewpoint and attitude. The acerbic nature of his postings is very unfortunate as some of what he has to say could be educational and of interest, but it is negated by the haughty and superior stance he adopts. Could he just be teasing us all, for simple devilment, or is he really like this? Mmmmm ....
I'm disappointed that you did not make the post as I could have responded on this thread something I was denied on the BF Myths thread.
Old 26th December 2008, 16:33

My location
For Ocean Seadog :

In deference to the Moderators' advice and the site guidelines, I cannot accommodate you in repeating the posting here, as I would have to concede the posting was not 100% focused on the post, but also the poster, which I now accept was remiss of me, and for which I apologise to the members in general and site administrators in particular.

Angus Mac Kinnon
Old 26th December 2008, 17:12
Department: Deck
Active: 1962 - 1980

My location
It is good that vitriolic threads are now closed quickly, unlike the "Useless" threads of a little while back that went on unchecked forever.

However why dont we have a thread entitled "Come outside on deck and say that" and let people battle it out!

Festively yours
Old 26th December 2008, 17:16

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Isaac View Post
It is good that vitriolic threads are now closed quickly, unlike the "Useless" threads of a little while back that went on unchecked forever.

However why dont we have a thread entitled "Come outside on deck and say that" and let people battle it out!

Festively yours
Chris,

There are many sites that allow that kind of thing and if you have tried them you will find that they are not nice places to spend your time. That is why the Mods intervene - quite honestly we would prefer not to have to as we have more interesting ways of spending our time. We are not going to let SN degenerate into a place for slanging matches and refighting old battles.
Old 26th December 2008, 17:38

Ocean Seadog.
Sorry your previous thread was terminated.
I was interested in your remarks about how the bell signals for focsle lookouts and how the name for samson posts differed in BF. Did you have many differences? I was hoping you were going to post some more. Did you have your own seamanship manual in BF ? Did the examiners expect you to revert back to the usual terms when sitting your certificates/damage reports etc? Please dont read anything untoward in my post, it is genuine interest.
Thanks
Neil
Old 26th December 2008, 18:04

My location
Message/Query for Hugh MacLean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh MacLean View Post
Hello Tom,

Do you have your uncles date and place of birth?
If you need to find out the ships he served on then best get his CRS10 Form (service record) from Kew. I can advise if required.

Regards

Hugh :

How about giving us Luddites a step-by-step guide to using the National Archives system. Can anything be accessed direct on line or must all requests be made formally to Kew? If the latter, how do I go about requesting the referenced CRS10 form and providing them the DOB and POB ?

Thanks in anticipation,

Angus Mac Kinnon
Old 26th December 2008, 18:10
Active: 1960 - 1990

Quote:
Hugh :

How about giving us Luddites a step-by-step guide to using the National Archives system. Can anything be accessed direct on line or must all requests be made formally to Kew? If the latter, how do I go about requesting the referenced CRS10 form and providing them the DOB and POB ?

Thanks in anticipation,

Angus Mac Kinnon
contact hugh maclean on member on this site im sure he will help you angus.
Old 26th December 2008, 18:39

My location
For Muldonaich

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldonaich View Post
contact hugh maclean on member on this site im sure he will help you angus.
Thanks for that - in fact I did address the query to Hugh macLean as it was obvious from other postings of his that he 'knew the ropes' on this subject. Hopefully I will hear in due course, and thanks again for your recommendation. Assume you are in Barra from the 'Muldonaich' tag? Lifted a few crans of the 'skadan' from around there in the long distant past, probably lucky to get the odd saithe around there today !

Angus Mac Kinnon
Old 26th December 2008, 21:17

My location
am i the only observer of s.n. who suspects the use of multiple identities by member(s)?
Old 26th December 2008, 21:32

Quote:
Hugh :

Thanks in anticipation,
Angus Mac Kinnon
Hello Angus,

There are many records you can request online from Kew. These include seamen's service records from 1941 - 1972 (Form CRS10) held in piece BT 382 from the Fifth Register of Seamen's Service.

Seamen's Pouches held in piece BT 372 at Kew.

Ship's Movement Cards for the war years. 1939 - 1946 held in BT 389

Medal Cards held in piece BT 395/1.

Crew Agreements (lists) for ships (various years) including WWII held under ship's official number.

These, I would say, are the main ones but there are many more which are available via visit or researcher.

I have to say that searching for records using the National Archives search engine is not the most user frendly I have seen. I could give you the main National Archives research guides which would give an idea but they wont help much when you need to actually find where individual records are referenced. I am afraid I do not have the time to put together any kind of useful guide as I am snowed under with plenty of my own projects at the moment. However, that said, I am always willing to point people to the correct references that they would need to obtain records from Kew or elsewhere for that matter.

To point you to a particular CRS10, I would need at least a name, date and place of birth. A seaman's pivitol reference, his/her Dis A., is always useful for searching and/or checking that you have the correct man/woman.

Two of the most useful guides: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...sLeafletID=128

and for the Fourth Register: http://www.mercantilemarine.org/show...index+register

Regards
Paid it in full”

Last edited by Hugh MacLean; 26th December 2008 at 21:44..
Old 26th December 2008, 22:16
Active: 1960 - 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie2182 View Post
am i the only observer of s.n. who suspects the use of multiple identities by member(s)?
i for one have always been registered on this site as muldonaich can you explain please kev.