Fernando Po (now Malabo) - Ships Nostalgia
23:29

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Fernando Po (now Malabo)

User Tag List

Old 3rd March 2018, 07:05
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1982

Fernando Po (now Malabo)

Put on the map during Biafra war.
Did you go there? Any photographs from that time?
Was then a lovely place to stop, particularly after Lagos.
Being very Spanish with work stopping for a lunch time siesta seemed very civilised. Gave us time to nip ashore to some of the port side cafes.
Believe it has changed much for the worse.
Old 3rd March 2018, 08:11
Department: Navigation
Active: 1957 - 1967

Hi Julian. Long time no E/SN 'speak',

Yes, in answer to your question, did go there and for some distant, vague reason think it was in 'cadet days', which would date it at late '50s and yours truly with his 'Box Brownie'. Will let you know if find any B & W in the archives/loft.

Found the following which you may find of interest.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-hX-w9HRyvr...5_IMG_0002.JPG

Have a great weekend. Love (?) to Lagos. Kindest to you and yours. GGG

Last edited by Graham the pipe; 3rd March 2018 at 08:15.. Reason: Type 'O' {Blood/'Obuasi'}
Old 3rd March 2018, 15:51
Active: 1954 - 1967

Fernando Po

In 1960, after part-loading crude at Port Harcourt into the 19,000 dwt Shell tanker TES Helcion, due to river draft restriction we topped up from oil barge at Fernando Po.

Keith
Old 5th March 2018, 14:51
Active: 1958 - 1965

I too went there, way back when, on the Ebani.
By the way, Fernando Po was the name of the island , now Bioko. The port was Santa Isabel, now Malabo.
I may have a photo somewhere, I'll try to find it.
Old 5th March 2018, 20:37
Active: 1960 - 2010

Again after Bonny went over to top up from a very old british tanker. i was on the border reiver.
Old 8th March 2018, 14:19
Active: 1955 - Present

Wonderful island with very civilised cargo working hours in the 50's and 60's. I was tthe only apprentice on the one ship, my mate having paid off sick. I became the ship's aquirer. There it was prawns at 2/6 a bucket full starght off the fishing boat. I walked as far as i could go up the mountain but did not have the time to get to the top. Since being in South Africa I have net up with members of t onehe S.A. Air Force who were there in the Biafran war. Another war that no one talks about
Old 9th March 2018, 11:12
Department: Purser
Active: 1966 - 1976

I was there on the Owerri in 67,hearing it was a Spanish and thereby civilised port the cadets and I went ashore and I shall always remember appearing at the saloon door to shouts of derision from the assembled officers`Look at them going ashore to meet a film star`It was alright as I remember,one of our customers works there now in the oil industry and says it`s horrible
Old 9th March 2018, 17:20

I was there on a banana boat never went ashore the reason we saw a Spanish man beating a lady or a young girl when she tripped and dropped a hand of bananas she was loading I called him a bastard he understood and threatened to stop the loading and if I went ashore I would never get back aboard ,they were evil bastards those dagoes.
Old 22nd March 2018, 12:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodend View Post
Wonderful island with very civilised cargo working hours in the 50's and 60's. I was tthe only apprentice on the one ship, my mate having paid off sick. I became the ship's aquirer. There it was prawns at 2/6 a bucket full starght off the fishing boat. I walked as far as i could go up the mountain but did not have the time to get to the top. Since being in South Africa I have net up with members of t onehe S.A. Air Force who were there in the Biafran war. Another war that no one talks about
Ah! the Prawns.
My one and only visit to the island, I was Assistant Purser at the time, it could have been the Dixcove or the Oti.
There came a knock on my door at midnight,
"the Chief`s having a Birthday party",
so I and the writer Frank Maxted who had also been put on a shake wandered along to the Chief`s cabin (it was quite a palatial one, if I remember correctly at the forrard end ,beneath the Masters accommodation?).
Anyway, when we entered there was a circle of chairs with a number of the other officers sitting around cases of I think it was Worthingtons or that awful Orangeboom lager that they foisted on us (after the nectar of the gods-Wrexham lager disappeared) , waste paper baskets and a bucket of prawns. This had been provided by the Chief Steward - Stan Fowler who had negotiated with a Spanish trawler along the quay
Needless to say it was a good "Birthday" party, there`s some doubt about that at the time, as Frank was heard to say
"It`s not your birthday chief,it`s a f.f.f.f.f.f.........ing piss up"
(Frank had a terrible stammer that only disappeared after a few beers)
I`ve got a feeling the C/E was Bob Ashton, but I`m not sure -anybody know what happened to him? He used to tell me he wanted to come ashore and get a job as C/E of a power station - I wonder if he did.
Anyway glad to see there is still some life in Elders after the sad loss of Derek and his wonderful editorship of the EofE magazine.
Old 6th April 2018, 11:47
Active: 1953 - 1993

I was on the ss.Forcados, coast boat, June to December 1960 as jumped up Chief Mate when she did three trips on the 'slave trade' from Calabar to Santa Isabel. I can't remember how many but at a guess it must have been about 100 deck passengers would board in Calabar to work on the cocoa/coffee plantations on Fernando Po and the same number would return. They would board in Calabar as the usual noisy rabble and return very quietly shepherded by armed guards.
Captain at this time was called McKeen, he could not stand the pace and was relieved in Calabar by Capt.A.A. (Ginger) Thomas. ex ss.Warri!! He was horrified when we streamed the deep sea leadline to trawl for fish, he wanted it used for sounding, most upsetting. We caught some very useful fish on that line
Old 8th April 2018, 23:58

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex StevieClarkes View Post
I was on the ss.Forcados, coast boat, June to December 1960 as jumped up Chief Mate when she did three trips on the 'slave trade' from Calabar to Santa Isabel. I can't remember how many but at a guess it must have been about 100 deck passengers would board in Calabar to work on the cocoa/coffee plantations on Fernando Po and the same number would return. They would board in Calabar as the usual noisy rabble and return very quietly shepherded by armed guards.
Captain at this time was called McKeen, he could not stand the pace and was relieved in Calabar by Capt.A.A. (Ginger) Thomas. ex ss.Warri!! He was horrified when we streamed the deep sea leadline to trawl for fish, he wanted it used for sounding, most upsetting. We caught some very useful fish on that line
I hadn`t heard of the "slave trade" mentioned about Santa Isabel before, but had heard of young Nigerian lads being sent as virtual forced labour to Ghana to harvest cocoa. (perhaps it still happens)
Captain J S McKeen I sailed with on the Oti April 1961 to November 1961 including a trip to the States
Captain "Ginger" Thomas I met on the "Obuasi"May 1956 - July 56 when he was Staff Captain on the voyage home after the loss of the "Sapele", I never knew if he lost his command, but whatever I am pleased he had obviously regained it by 1960. Condemned forever to Coasters?
Old 9th April 2018, 11:40
Active: 1953 - 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodend View Post
As you say, it was a wonderful island with civilised working hours. It could be difficult on a ship with a Liverpool crowd, the bar at the end of the quay was a magnet at Smoke O and deck work used to fall off after 10:30.
Old 11th June 2018, 16:52
Department: Purser
Active: 1950 - 1960

Re StevieClarkes post - After a single header on the Salaga as A/P in 1956 I got married and during the long leave applied to join the Coast Staff. After 3 months in Lagos I moved to Calabar for 9 month followed by a further 6 months there on the next tour. Now and again I noticed a small elderly ship coming up the Cross River and going alongside about 1/2 mile downstream. I was told it was the Fernando Po. For most of the time we lived in a bungalow in Mayne Avenue, then out in the country but now a very busy part of an enlarged Calabar. Across the road was a large bungalow with barrack type buildings behind it. It turned out the owner was a Spaniard who was the agent for recruiting labour in Nigeria to work on the plantations in Fernando Po. When he got a full complement they went down to the ship and sailed across. I don't know what the conditions were but of course there was no return until their contract was up. Occasionally a retuning group would stagger up Mayne Avenue to eturn to the barracks and get signed and paid. I heard they carried very little money home as they where encouraged to buy the usual items, sewing machines, bicycles and brass beds etc from the Company Store. I've forgotten the chaps name but I believe he was the British Diplomatic Representative (At that time) and also a busy business man. He used to through some tremendous parties and two lovely nieces visited him and caused a sensation on the club tennis courts. I never got to Fernando Po but it has stuck in my min d over the years.