Pirate attacks/broaching of cargo - Ships Nostalgia
19:49

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Pirate attacks/broaching of cargo

User Tag List

Old 2nd June 2018, 16:46
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1982

Pirate attacks/broaching of cargo

Was on ’Sherbro’ in 1980 alongside Apapa 14. (Capt Stan Garside, Mate John Mountain) Heavy rain from 2300 onwards. Went on deck at 0130 to find canoes alongside and one container of used clothing on deck being broached.
Raised the alarm but was then jumped by three guys. Luckily they were not armed but was beaten about the head with a piece of timber, had uniform torn to shreds and suffered ‘bites’ over my back as one of the ‘pirates’ obviously thought I was good eating material.
Broaching cargo by shore labour and authorities was always a problem.
Do you have any stories?
Old 2nd June 2018, 20:03
Department: Navigation
Active: 1957 - 1967

What a small world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Calvin View Post
Was on ’Sherbro’ in 1980 alongside Apapa 14. (Capt Stan Garside, Mate John Mountain) Heavy rain from 2300 onwards. Went on deck at 0130 to find canoes alongside and one container of used clothing on deck being broached.
Raised the alarm but was then jumped by three guys. Luckily they were not armed but was beaten about the head with a piece of timber, had uniform torn to shreds and suffered ‘bites’ over my back as one of the ‘pirates’ obviously thought I was good eating material.
Do you have any stories?
Hi Julian.

I find your story interesting for many and varied reasons none of which, I'm afraid, has anything to do with piracy and your lucky to be alive and 'glutton for punishment'** experience on Apapa wharf.

You've inadvertently answered a question I've long been trying to remember, that being 'what was the name of the Polish built, second generation 'S' boat I went down to Tilbury to see my old ship mate and pal of many States trips on the Donga in the early to mid '60s, he C/O self 2/O'. Am I right? He was Master and his wife Vera was there but not sure if she did the voyage. He was waiting for a charter, went out in ballast to I think Shanghai for a cargo. Turned out to be his last voyage as he was made redundant when he got back to the UK. That and his long time 'Senior Service' consumption sadly brought about his premature demise Vera told me when I saw her for the last time in September '07 before her subsequent death.

** I never had any burning desire to make Lagos my 'second home', so how you could have and did after that experience amazes me.
Old 4th June 2018, 10:44
Department: Purser
Active: 1966 - 1976

.I was on Whitco`s Orchidea when following loading in Sacramento,we were discharging WHO rice in a port called Sarong in Indonesian New Guinea.It was army controlled and the rice was being taken out in slings straight onto their lorries.I had joined our second mate,an ex AB from Gillingham,when he saw a sling taken over the outboard side of the ship.Shouting at the winchman to stop,he looked the side and saw a dug out waiting to load the booty.Picking up a random bag of rice from the deck he lifted,aimed and dropped the bag down onto the canoe shouting`Touch for that`I didn`t hang about to see what ensued,neither did the winchman who fled.
Old 14th June 2018, 12:01
Department: Navigation
Active: 1964 - 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Calvin View Post
Do you have any stories?
Julian, Saw John Mountain yesterday at our monthly Ancient Mariners lunch, and told him about your post. He remembered the attack including bites!, and sends his regards.