creative chefs - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
15:54

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

creative chefs

User Tag List

Old 17th June 2018, 17:29
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1980 - 1993

Oh dear, on one of the rigs the daughters boyfriend has just been working on the cook is so uncreative he's been nicknamed 'the prince of mince'
Old 17th June 2018, 17:46
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Active: 1970 - 1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevjacko View Post
Oh dear, on one of the rigs the daughters boyfriend has just been working on the cook is so uncreative he's been nicknamed 'the prince of mince'
Are you sure they are referring to the food Kev?
Old 18th June 2018, 14:00
Department: Purser
Active: 1966 - 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevjacko View Post
I`ll bet you a pan of scouse he`s not as stupid as the cook we parted company with on Saturday.I`d just got back from Bookers when my missus grabbed me and said`Get into that kitchen,they`ve gone crackers`As I walked through the dining room I was accosted by a party of diners who were not at all happy with their food.Having run the gauntlet I was confronted by this bloke serving portions of chips some white,hard and inedible mixed with limp,burned offerrings.When asked why he said`It`s the s**t potatoes you`ve bought,it`s just the way they cook`after a frank exchange of opinions he got paid off.Anyone know a pub cook?
Old 21st June 2018, 11:48

My post#19 re carpetbag steak. Throwing my cold porridge sandwich into the recycle bin,(b/fast sorted), I went down to the supermarket and bought a dozen Bluff oysters at $2 each. A couple of Angus steaks cost $16 but I must say that after stuffing one of the steaks with some of the oysters and a belt of Worcester sauce in the pocket I was a very happy camper. Same tonight again with baked spud and salad. I had to go back to the supermarket this morning because I had been charged twice for the steaks. The girls were very helpful and I had a refund and told them what I knew about Carpetbag steak and its origins in the States. Also called a monkey gland steak. Remember the Carpetbaggers by Harold Robbins? Originally served sitting up like a carpetbag. All very nice. Now where's that cold porridge sandwich.
Old 22nd June 2018, 06:56

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by jg grant View Post
My post#19 re carpetbag steak. Throwing my cold porridge sandwich into the recycle bin,(b/fast sorted), I went down to the supermarket and bought a dozen Bluff oysters at $2 each. A couple of Angus steaks cost $16 but I must say that after stuffing one of the steaks with some of the oysters and a belt of Worcester sauce in the pocket I was a very happy camper. Same tonight again with baked spud and salad. I had to go back to the supermarket this morning because I had been charged twice for the steaks. The girls were very helpful and I had a refund and told them what I knew about Carpetbag steak and its origins in the States. Also called a monkey gland steak. Remember the Carpetbaggers by Harold Robbins? Originally served sitting up like a carpetbag. All very nice. Now where's that cold porridge sandwich.
$2 each for a Bluffie? That's incredible and quite an eye opener, Ronnie.
Trot back down to the supermarket, grab a few dozen, freeze them and fly 'em over to me. I'll give you five bucks each for them - after I've checked them all out first, of course.

PS don't mention it to John T, though!!

Taff
Old 22nd June 2018, 12:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsell View Post
$2 each for a Bluffie? That's incredible and quite an eye opener, Ronnie.
Trot back down to the supermarket, grab a few dozen, freeze them and fly 'em over to me. I'll give you five bucks each for them - after I've checked them all out first, of course.

PS don't mention it to John T, though!!

Taff
Barf! I'll see your Bluffies and raise you ten Sydney Rocks!

John T
Old 23rd June 2018, 07:35

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterdotpom View Post
Barf! I'll see your Bluffies and raise you ten Sydney Rocks!

John T
Huh! 'Spose you don't like a mouthful of kina, either!!

Taff
Old 23rd June 2018, 07:59
Spongebob
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1961

Kina! Last feast was at Waihou Bay inside Cape Runaway walking in the shallows half way up the shins and picking up the Kina , breaking them open , scooping out the guts and with a deft swipe of the finger, swiping out the delicious layer of roe inside the shell.
Take a pile back to camp, spread the roe on a piece of sourdough , pepper, a dash of Balsamic and reach a state of satiation never before experienced .

Bob
Old 24th June 2018, 00:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsell View Post
Huh! 'Spose you don't like a mouthful of kina, either!!

Taff
Haven't tried it but maybe I will when I go across the ditch (sorry, dutch) next year. Don't promise to like it though.

I'll give the oysters another go too - my mistake in the past seems to have been shoving the whole lot in my mouth. I'll try cutting the beasts next time.

Mind you I did get all round Italy without eating their crap pasta. I confused a waiter by asking for spaghetti with mussels without the spaghetti. Foreign muck!

John T
Old 24th June 2018, 07:55

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterdotpom View Post
Haven't tried it but maybe I will when I go across the ditch (sorry, dutch) next year. Don't promise to like it though.

I'll give the oysters another go too - my mistake in the past seems to have been shoving the whole lot in my mouth. I'll try cutting the beasts next time.

Mind you I did get all round Italy without eating their crap pasta. I confused a waiter by asking for spaghetti with mussels without the spaghetti. Foreign muck!

John T
I just got this image in a dream, of being cast adrift in a lifeboat with John T... the only tucker aboard - packets and packets of spaghetti, fettuccini, linguini, pappardelle, campanelle and so on, together with cans and cans of Bluff oysters. A few slabs of Guinness, but unfortunately, John was too hungry to drink anything but water! Sadly, he passed away whispering, "Stick your bloody oysters...!"
I woke up with a smile on my face.

Taff
Old 24th June 2018, 10:35
Varley Varley is online now   SN Supporter
Active: 1971 - 2011

However abstemious on grounds of taste he were to be I think you might have woken up rather chewed.

Much like the workhouse. If they don't like fruit pudding. Sod 'em.
Old 24th June 2018, 11:09

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varley View Post
However abstemious on grounds of taste he were to be I think you might have woken up rather chewed.

Much like the workhouse. If they don't like fruit pudding. Sod 'em.
I did count my fingers and toes, David!

Taff
Old 20th July 2018, 19:01
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post
Kina! Last feast was at Waihou Bay inside Cape Runaway walking in the shallows half way up the shins and picking up the Kina , breaking them open , scooping out the guts and with a deft swipe of the finger, swiping out the delicious layer of roe inside the shell.
Take a pile back to camp, spread the roe on a piece of sourdough , pepper, a dash of Balsamic and reach a state of satiation never before experienced .

Bob
That's enough to gag a maggot off a gut wagon Bob.
Old 21st July 2018, 08:04

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rogers View Post
That's enough to gag a maggot off a gut wagon Bob.
...welcome back, John!!

Taff
Old 27th July 2018, 02:06

Jesus! $2 for a Bluff oyster, strewth last time I was down there we got a sackful for a tin of white paint; and on the Kaimai and the Karu that was a regular thing.
Biggest Steak, up in Broken Hill, massive plate and it still hung over the side, and I can assure you having eaten in Diamonds they couldn't be beaten.
Yesterday went down to Jindabine had the nicest piece of Blue Grenadier and chips ever, ate then looking over the lake at the snow covered mountains, YUM.
Tugger
Old 27th July 2018, 20:21

I see that our Korean members have discovered The Galley. Beware we do not give him any Board of Trade recipes, particularly the Kromeski ones.
Old 27th July 2018, 23:05
Spongebob
Active: 1957 - 1961

Let them have all the hot curry recipes and give them something else to gamble on.
Old 28th July 2018, 00:05
Varley Varley is online now   SN Supporter
Active: 1971 - 2011

They do not need to steal Kromeski, they have Kimchi.
Old 30th July 2018, 10:37
Active: 1970 - Present

Better keep Fido on the lead.