River Mersey wrecks - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
22:03

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

River Mersey wrecks

User Tag List

Old 25th April 2013, 20:23
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - 1972

I have just looked up my notes it was the Alexandra Towing Tug NELSON on its way to be scrapped, it sank in the channel and was moved to the sand bank and left there, it happened on 7th December 1994

Picture of her here http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Ale...80%3B300%3B240

Last edited by Boatman25; 25th April 2013 at 20:30..
Old 25th April 2013, 20:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman25 View Post
I have just looked up my notes it was the Alexandra Towing Tug NELSON on its way to be scrapped, it sank in the channel and was moved to the sand bank and left there, it happened on 7th December 1994

Picture of her here http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Ale...80%3B300%3B240

Many many thanks much appreciated
Old 25th April 2013, 20:50

You are very welcome
Old 26th April 2013, 01:41
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1944 - 1953

good day boatman25,today.05:23.re:river Mersey wrecks.thank you for posting your link about the tug nelson.very informative.have a good one,ben27
Old 26th April 2013, 09:44

Thank you Ben
Old 11th May 2013, 23:40

Smile Shipwreck Plaques for ships that went down in the Mersey near Crosby

Hi,

I heard that there are plaques around Liverpool and the Mersey coast for ship wrecks. Does anyone happen to know if they are any for ships that went down on Burbo Bank, Crosby near Liverpool in 1907?

If so, do you know a location of such plaques?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Maxi
Old 30th July 2013, 21:49

I'm new to this site and not sure if this is the correct way of doing this but can anyone give me any info on the pegu. I work on formby beach and see her most days-I believe my grandfather was an engineer on her-I'm looking to develop a walk/talk about the Mersey wrecks for visitors to the beach, and I'd like to start with some family history. So, I know pegu was a henderson ship, built in scotland but beyond that, I know very little. Can anyone provide any further info? Thank you
Old 10th August 2014, 14:09
Department: Engineering
Active: 1961 - 2002

Wrecks around the Mersey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirralsteve View Post
hi all hoping for some information regarding wrecks on and around the Wirral, especially those in the Mersey itself.
My dad was telling me about a friend of his who used to work many years ago dynamiting the sunken ships of the Mersey so as not to create obstacles for the newer generation of larger vessels. that story has always had my attention and still to this day cant figure out if dad was having me on or if there has been that many wrecks on my doorstep. i am a keen historian and will gladly share any information i gather with any helpers and the ships nostalgia community

steve
Hi Steve,
Your father was certainly correct, I was staggered at the number of masts sticking up out of the water on the edge of the Mersey when I first went to sea in the 1960's. The story then was that some of the ships contained ammunition and it was too dangerous to blow them up, it might have taken half of Liverpool with them, mind you that could have been a good thing. (Only kidding as I was born in Liverpool but left there 1942 during WW2.)

Howard Dean.
Old 10th August 2014, 15:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Dean View Post
Hi Steve,
The story then was that some of the ships contained ammunition and it was too dangerous to blow them up, it might have taken half of Liverpool with them, mind you that could have been a good thing. (Only kidding as I was born in Liverpool but left there 1942 during WW2.)

Howard Dean.
I think you are getting mixed up with the SS Richard Montgomery in the Thames estuary as none of the Liverpool wrecks are classed as dangerous in respect to explosives, and most have now been removed when the river was cleared in the 80s
Old 10th August 2014, 16:46
Active: 1961 - 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman25 View Post
I think you are getting mixed up with the SS Richard Montgomery in the Thames estuary as none of the Liverpool wrecks are classed as dangerous in respect to explosives, and most have now been removed when the river was cleared in the 80s
Hi Steve,
As said, "The Story Was", I am not attempting to verify the story or not, regret I have not sailed out of the Thames so I do not have any knowledge of the ship you mentioned.

Howard.
Old 28th June 2019, 20:14
Active: 1976 - 2006

Stormont sinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsette View Post
The cattle boat Stormont and the Donaldson liner Letitia were in collision, sometime in winter 1946-47, off Seacombe I think. Cattle carcasses were washed ashore as far as Formby Point. The war brides headed for Canada had their voyage cut short, as Letitia had to be dry docked for repair. Stormont was not so lucky.

Some members may remember Letitia in her later lives as Empire Brent and Captain Cook. She had a poor reputation among the "uncertificated" - or should that be uncertified.

I worked with someone from Waterloo who remembered the Stormont sinking and going on to Crosby beach at night ( with a lot of others ) in search of washed up cattle and butchering one. He took a hind leg home and put it in the bath. Meat was still a luxury after the war.
Old 28th June 2019, 20:18
Active: 1976 - 2006

Stormont sinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsette View Post
The cattle boat Stormont and the Donaldson liner Letitia were in collision, sometime in winter 1946-47, off Seacombe I think. Cattle carcasses were washed ashore as far as Formby Point. The war brides headed for Canada had their voyage cut short, as Letitia had to be dry docked for repair. Stormont was not so lucky.

Some members may remember Letitia in her later lives as Empire Brent and Captain Cook. She had a poor reputation among the "uncertificated" - or should that be uncertified.

I worked with someone from Waterloo who remembered the Stormont sinking and going on to Crosby beach at night ( with a lot of others ) in search of washed up cattle and in finding one butchered it. He took a hind leg home and put it in the bath. Meat was still a luxury after the war.
Old 29th June 2019, 08:55
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1967 - 1977

ard Dean;983306]Hi Steve,
Your father was certainly correct, I was staggered at the number of masts sticking up out of the water on the edge of the Mersey when I first went to sea in the 1960's.

In the 50/60’s, the ferry, river cruise “Royal Iris” would often go up the channel passed the masts. The Captain was I believe McCormack, or similar sounding name.
Old 29th June 2019, 11:43
Active: 1943 - 1951

Extracted from my book, MINED COASTS.

TACOMA CITY. Steamship. 13 March 1941. In Convoy HX.110 which left Halifax on 19 February and arrived in Liverpool on 11 March. Sunk by a parachute mine which exploded beneath her in the Formby Channel of the River Mersey. Four died. Forty-one picked up by a motorboat from the training ship HMS Conway and transferred to other larger boats for landing.

ULLAPOOL. Steamship. 13 March 1941. In Convoy SC.23 which left Halifax on 18 February and arrived in Liverpool on 9 March. Struck by a parachute mine when approximately 215º 1500 feet from the North End of the Princes Stage and broke in two. Fifteen died and 23 survived.

Last edited by IAN M; 29th June 2019 at 11:51..
Old 30th June 2019, 06:50

My location
Ullapool

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAN M View Post
Extracted from my book, MINED COASTS.

TACOMA CITY. Steamship. 13 March 1941. In Convoy HX.110 which left Halifax on 19 February and arrived in Liverpool on 11 March. Sunk by a parachute mine which exploded beneath her in the Formby Channel of the River Mersey. Four died. Forty-one picked up by a motorboat from the training ship HMS Conway and transferred to other larger boats for landing.

ULLAPOOL. Steamship. 13 March 1941. In Convoy SC.23 which left Halifax on 18 February and arrived in Liverpool on 9 March. Struck by a parachute mine when approximately 215º 1500 feet from the North End of the Princes Stage and broke in two. Fifteen died and 23 survived.
Remember well seeing the green wreck buoy while waiting for the ferry.

Vic Pitcher
Manners makyth man
Old 30th June 2019, 11:09

Many thanks, Ian

I had not realised that Tacoma City and Ullapool were both wrecked on the same date.

As to Tacoma City, her wreck lay in the South River, approximately between Bromborough and Brunswick Dock. The wreck was removed (I think) at some point in the early 1970s to facilitate the installation of Dingle Tanker Mooring Buoys, although some of the wreck might still be there, as far as I know.

It is interesting to hear that she suffered the attack when in Formby Channel. If that is right, she did well to make good another fourteen miles or so before she sank.

Another wreck frequently mentioned is Henderson's PEGU, which suffered a steering failure when outward bound and ran onto the revetment wall on the North side of Crosby Bend. I do not know the exact date of her wreck but understand that it was early in WWII. Not only her hull and masts were plainly visible (and still probably are, I'd guess) but also much of her rigging was still flying in the breeze thirty years and more later. If I remember correctly, the rigging has now disappeared.
Old 30th June 2019, 22:32
Active: 1943 - 1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Youde View Post

Many thanks, Ian

I had not realised that Tacoma City and Ullapool were both wrecked on the same date.

As to Tacoma City, her wreck lay in the South River, approximately between Bromborough and Brunswick Dock. The wreck was removed (I think) at some point in the early 1970s to facilitate the installation of Dingle Tanker Mooring Buoys, although some of the wreck might still be there, as far as I know.

It is interesting to hear that she suffered the attack when in Formby Channel. If that is right, she did well to make good another fourteen miles or so before she sank.

Another wreck frequently mentioned is Henderson's PEGU, which suffered a steering failure when outward bound and ran onto the revetment wall on the North side of Crosby Bend. I do not know the exact date of her wreck but understand that it was early in WWII. Not only her hull and masts were plainly visible (and still probably are, I'd guess) but also much of her rigging was still flying in the breeze thirty years and more later. If I remember correctly, the rigging has now disappeared.
Barry

PEGU. From Glasgow and entering the Mersey on the night of 24 November, 1939, to load for Rangoon, when she went aground near the Beta Buoy. Refloated on the 26th, but hit the revetment and broke her back. All 103 rescued by the New Brighton lifeboat. The wreck is still in situ.

Ian
Old 30th June 2019, 23:04

Thank you Ian. I had always understood that the PEGU was outward bound, but I don't question the information which you now provide.

Repeated thanks,

BY