Another Kiwi - Ships Nostalgia
20:39

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Another Kiwi

User Tag List

Old 19th January 2006, 10:47
Department: Deck
Active: 1972 - 1979

My location
Smile Another Kiwi

Yes, another Kiwi (from Dunedin) - seems if many more come aboard the site will go poop-side down!
Grew up in Port Chalmers (just heard a number of members say "I remember...."), and started there with USSCo (Port Chalmers Marine Repair Works) pushing a pen before running away to sea as a Deck Cadet with Manners Navigation, Hong Kong. Sailed on tramping bulker (Showa charter) and general cargo (Djakarta Lloyd charter). Moved to UK early 70's and sailed Third Mate with IFR Services (Maritime Fruit Carriers of Haifa), Whitco Marine and Salen UK, sailing on Salen, Ffyfe and Unimar (Morrocan) reefers (including the wonderous Clipper series ships) and 'Temple' bulkers. Also did a spell in IFR's office whilst recovering from a smashed knee.
Came ashore and back home in early 80's after being made redundant and now work as Ingredients Logistics Manager for Cadburys. Still retain an avid interest in anything nautical, including the odd 'jar of froth' (being married now, I am only allowed to look at the entertainment).
If there are any out there that had the mis-fortune to sail with me, or owe me a beer, please feel free to get in touch.
Cheers,
exsailor (Dennis Hurring)
Old 19th January 2006, 11:40
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Welcome Dennis to the site enjoy it and a happy new year to you.
Old 19th January 2006, 12:10

Dunedin

Welcome Dennis.

Beautiful Dunedin. Small port, but what about that magnificent railway station???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dunedin.jpg (69.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Dunedin 2.jpg (108.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Dunedin 3.jpg (111.1 KB, 24 views)
Old 19th January 2006, 13:51

My location
Welcome aboard from your opposite site Italy.
Gp
Old 19th January 2006, 14:46

Welcome aboard Dennis. I spent 49 days alongside in Dunedin, thanks to the wharfies strike, on my 1st trip, Deck-Boy, on the good ship Somerset June-July 1977 happy memories of the place & the people. Were you on the Teeside Clipper? I sailed with a couple of AB's who were always talking about Her. Kenny Montgomery(Stornaway) was one of them along wth John Dupres(Norfolk) Bit of trouble on there with the Somali's who took their jobs?
Old 19th January 2006, 17:15

Hi Dennis

Welcome to an excellent port. Plenty of gud foti's, info and chat

Regards

NigelC
Old 19th January 2006, 17:42
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
welcome Dennis, been about a bit but never made Dunedin, maybe after reading postings may well feel i have??
Old 19th January 2006, 18:59

Dennis, Welcome, you will enjoy - guarenteed.
Dunedin was a port I never visited in NZ and with Jans` pictures above, I wish I had, oh well its never too late
Old 20th January 2006, 00:26

My location
Dennis we don't care where you are from, as long as you love ships you are very welcome on this site so keep on enjoying.
Old 20th January 2006, 00:31

Welcome aboard Dennis and enjoy the site.
Old 20th January 2006, 04:30

another kiwi

i am a member here and enjoying it.i am from christchurch but living in syndey for the past 2 years or so.i do miss lyttelton that were i was from.anyway another one to add to the list.cheers matt
Old 21st January 2006, 04:55

Kia ora from Te Tai Tokerau, Matt. Loved Dunedin...hated the cold!! Vix
Old 21st January 2006, 05:26

another kiwi

cool.taking the mrs back home for a holiday in april for easter.shes a aussie so she will hate the cold then.we going to mt cook and queenstown and dunedin and milford sound.as i am from christchurch i know these places.but as i am a kiwi never been to those places.be good for me to see some of my land to.better then the big smoke here in syndey.cheers matt ps hope to see some ships to.when i get back home for 12 days
Old 21st January 2006, 10:35

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Hendrik
Welcome Dennis.

Beautiful Dunedin. Small port, but what about that magnificent railway station???
Cheers for welcome. Station is most photographed building in NZ - and has longest platform (1 km). Bit like Dunedin port - past its time of glory and little used. Port Chalmers, as the deep water port, sees most of the shipping.
Old 21st January 2006, 10:48

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat McCardle
Welcome aboard Dennis. I spent 49 days alongside in Dunedin, thanks to the wharfies strike, on my 1st trip, Deck-Boy, on the good ship Somerset June-July 1977 happy memories of the place & the people. Were you on the Teeside Clipper? I sailed with a couple of AB's who were always talking about Her. Kenny Montgomery(Stornaway) was one of them along wth John Dupres(Norfolk) Bit of trouble on there with the Somali's who took their jobs?
Cheers for greeting. Never managed 'Teeside', but was doing an office stint when the Somali issue arose. All were off the Pool and one of the office Israeli's thought if they could man one vessel with Somali's they may be able to bring further crews (at cheaper rates) in to the country.
Old 21st January 2006, 11:30

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzmatt
cool.taking the mrs back home for a holiday in april for easter.shes a aussie so she will hate the cold then.we going to mt cook and queenstown and dunedin and milford sound.as i am from christchurch i know these places.but as i am a kiwi never been to those places.be good for me to see some of my land to.better then the big smoke here in syndey.cheers matt ps hope to see some ships to.when i get back home for 12 days
Cheers for message. Drop us an e-mail nearer your holiday and will see if we can catch you as you pass Dunedin.
With regards to Lyttelton, if you haven't already, check the Port's web site (www.lpc.co.nz).
Old 21st January 2006, 11:38

My location
Smile Thank you

Thankyou to all for the messages. A fantastic site and already the cause of sleep deprivation and loss of cat's perch on computer-desk chair.
exsailor (Dennis).
Old 21st January 2006, 11:45

another kiwi

yes i agree i get the same while model boat building and lookingmat ship sites lieks this and modelmaking sites to.i do check the lpc site out i like the web cams so i can still see home from time to time.well be in dunedin for 2 days in apriol.going to the cadbury factory(the mrs)and me to the otago martime museum and a drive to port chambers as well.
Old 21st January 2006, 22:41

HI Dennis welcome to SN not long in it myself.lovely place Port Chalmers stood by the Wiamate in the dry dock there then sailed on her had what would be called a near miss with another Union Steam boat in the narrows on the way out .i have a couple of photos of the Port in the 60's i'll try to put them on here but im not very good at it yet cheer from the north of scotland

Last edited by billmaca; 10th March 2009 at 21:10..
Old 22nd January 2006, 09:27

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmaca
HI Dennis welcome to SN not long in it myself.lovely place Port Chalmers stood by the Wiamate in the dry dock there then sailed on her had what would be called a near miss with another Union Steam boat in the narrows on the way out .i have a couple of photos of the Port in the 60's i'll try to put them on here but im not very good at it yet cheer from the north of scotland
Cheers. Great old photos - makes me feel old. For a good view of how it looks now, see the homepage of www.portotago.co.nz
Old 23rd January 2006, 07:49

Dunedin

It was always a nice port to visit. Some good pubs, even during the six oclock days. Come to think of it, I never visited the place at any other drinking hours. Have passed on the train since then and felt the cold.
Jim B
Old 26th January 2006, 10:22
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1959 - 1993

My location
Ahoy Dennis,

Welcome aboard, enjoy yourself on this fine ship and her crew, as we do; looking forward to your postings.
From Holland
My piccies also @:
http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Phot...06a43771da649b