Able Uk - Hartlepool - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
09:08

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Able Uk - Hartlepool

User Tag List

Old 26th February 2010, 19:55

The US are scrapping their own vessels, but due to the vast numbers urgently needed to be scrapped, tenders from overseas were taken into consideration.
Old 27th February 2010, 04:46

Able UK

Hi Keith. I think you should check their website. It is very informative. They have already started to break "Le Clem". Chris
Old 1st March 2010, 16:53
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1964 - 2001

Hi Chris,
Just spotted your comment as I was doing a random check on Ables.
Have checked Ables website, but there is not very much info on what is happening at the moment.
Would be interested to hear from any of our members on latest progress of the scrapping of the Ghost Ships and the 2 Hopper Barges.
I realise it is a slow process but any photos most welcome.

Regards
Keith
Old 1st March 2010, 17:13

Had a 6 mile walk yesterday past the yard, but the weather/ light was very bad. The Caloosahatchee has been chopped even further back over. Looks like the Compass Island has been chopped away more. The increasing pile of scrap is starting to make the view from the bridge/ roadside that bit more difficult to see what progress is being made.
Old 1st March 2010, 17:38

Thanks for your info Jon.
Any further updates from you, very welcome.

Regards
Keith
Old 16th March 2010, 18:41

An update. In the space of just over a week, there is very little left visable of the Compass Island, from the road bridge. The Caloosahatchee is still being chopped away at gradually the huge hulk has been disppearing. With it being so large and long, what seems that not much has gone in a short space, actually a lot has gone but the size makes an illusion that little been done (if that makes sense).
Old 17th March 2010, 07:22

Thanks Jon for your latest report, despite the Gallery still closed for business.
Do you know if the W.D.Clyde and W.D.Tyne are still there or have they been broken up??
I understand your comments about the Caloosahatchee.

Regards
Keith
Old 29th March 2010, 17:54

A couple of shots from the 18th March.

The remains of the Compass Island. I think the time taken from when it looked like a ship (bridge/ housing etc) to this image took about a week and a half.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4464978313/

There was a small oil based fire in the keel of the Caloosahatchee, which was contained and the fire brigade allowed to let it burn itself out.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4464978307/

The veiw from the bridge is starting to get difficult to see the WD's, as the piles of scrap are starting to get large.

I will be putting a few more pics up this week (hopefully, when I get a bit of time) onto my www.jhphotos.co.uk website.
Old 17th April 2010, 10:48

Just an update as to how things are progressing at TERRC.

The Caloosahatchee & Compass Island looks to have been completely scrapped now, as there is no visable sign of them from the road bridge. Also one of the WD barges (the one that was moored next to the quayside) looks to have been scrapped.

The Clemenceau's scrapping is progressing well, a start has been made on the rear of the ship. About half of the back end has been removed either side of the centre line of the carrier. With the internal floors with daylight visable lighting up the internals.

It won't be long before the major demolition externally of the Canisteo will begin, as a fair bit of cutting into sections has already been undertaken.

The Canopus still looks fully intact, wether they are waiting to finish of the Clemenceau before demolition starts on the Canopus.

Whilst looking on the Hartlepool Council website I came across the Planning applications page for Able UK/ TERRC which includes plans, comments, responses etc
http://edrms.hartlepool.gov.uk:80/PA...er=H/2007/0543

Link for the latest plans and layout of the yard can be found here:
http://edrms.hartlepool.gov.uk/PAP/s...43&index=92356
This plan shows the extension of the basin to dig out and expand the old internal dry dock.

I will try to get more shots from the bridge of the progress in the coming couple of weeks when I get the chance.
Old 27th April 2010, 16:31

An update, a couple of hours ago I passed thw yard. It looks like both WD Tyne (scrapped a couple of weeks ago) and now the WD Clyde is no longer visable, so safe to presume both have bitten the dust.

The stern of the Clemenceau only has one central strip left of the externals, the rest of the stern either side has been cut away and in process of being broke down for proccessing, she looks on course to have gone by the summer (June time). Little external scrapping has been viasble to the Canopus or the Canisteo. But I won't think it would take long for these to be cut up.

Once cutting and processing of the ships has been completed it is believed from viewing the planning applications site of Hartlepool Borough Council, is that the basin will have work done to it before being reflooded for the next set of arrivals.

If I hear owt I will let you's know.
Old 27th April 2010, 18:50

Thanks Jon for your updates on Ables yard.
Will look forward to your next report soon.

Regards
Keith
Old 29th May 2010, 16:28

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4648084071/

Latest shot of Clemenceau, she is now a hollow shell, as can be seen from the image. It looks like she is on course for completion in June.

Also the next ship to arrive to load scrap, berthed this morning, the A. B. Dublin.
Old 28th July 2010, 14:57

Jon

Do you have any more news and photos of what is happening at the moment at Ables Yard please??

Best Regards
Keith.
Old 28th July 2010, 22:05

Will give an update as to the situation next week.

A few weeks ago in the Hartlepool Mail a story was that the demolition was taking longer than expected and may not be completed till towards the end of the year. This was due to the amount of the thin layer of asbestos coated throughout the ship.

Progress is well underway on the Canisteo. The progress on the Canisteo is more quicker than the Caloosahatchee.
Old 16th August 2010, 00:05

I have had a shock when I went past the yard today.

In a space of 2 weeks since my last posting, the basin is looking a lot more empty.

The Canisteo not much remains.

The Clemenceau is the biggest shock, only one starboard side section remains upright, the rest totally dissapeared.

The Canopus is starting to really dissapear. A good proportion of the front of the ship has gone and a good start has been made to the rear.

With the amount of progress that has gone on and the speed of the scrapping. I think that by the end of September there will be none/ or very little of the ships remaining in the basin.

I haven't got any pictures of the ships recently due to big piles of scrap blocking the view of the remains of the ships.

So the next question will be. What will be the next arrivals to face the axe?
Old 16th August 2010, 04:37
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 1970

My location
General question:-

Is that the Canopus which was the floating Festival of Britain in 1953? I remember getting on board when she was in Cardiff.
Old 16th August 2010, 20:10

Just been given this link over on the shipais forum.

A bit of info about Able UK's new piece of machinery with an interesting shot of the Clem.
http://www.hub-4.com/news/2534/able-...rial-rehandler
Old 31st August 2010, 09:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieboy View Post
General question:-

Is that the Canopus which was the floating Festival of Britain in 1953? I remember getting on board when she was in Cardiff.
Billieboy,
The ship Able UK have been breaking up is the former USS Canopus, commisioned in 1965 as a Simon Lake class SSBN support tender of the type that were based at Holy Loch.
Regarding the Festival of Britain, are you thinking of the former HMS Campania?
Alex
Old 31st August 2010, 15:16

Any more news from Able yard regarding vessels being scrapped, or any news
on any more ships destined for the yard please??

Regards
Keith
Old 31st August 2010, 21:11

The only thing now visable from the road is the Canopus which is about half way through scrapping. Nothing visable (from the road) remains of the Clemenceau or Canisteo, so unless there is just sections of the keel left, I would say they have totally gone. The speed they are getting down the Canopus, I would say nothing will be left by the end of September.

Nothing has been publically said as to what is coming in later this/ early next year. There are two subjects that I know of that will be coming in for dismantling work, wether they come in this time or the next time I don't know. I am not going to say anything as to identities until they have been made public.
Old 4th September 2010, 05:45
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 1970

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by R736476 View Post
Billieboy,
The ship Able UK have been breaking up is the former USS Canopus, commisioned in 1965 as a Simon Lake class SSBN support tender of the type that were based at Holy Loch.
Regarding the Festival of Britain, are you thinking of the former HMS Campania?
Alex
Thanks Alex it's been a long time, let's say I had a bit of a senior moment!
Old 8th February 2011, 15:51

From what I read in my North Yorkshire morning paper it would appear that Able have no plans at present to scrap any further ships at their Tees Yard and are concentrating on Oil Rig repair's (ENSCO series) There is no explanation as to what has happened to the rest of the American contract. The favourite's to scrap one of the "redundant" Carrier's (in GB) appear to be at Liverpool or Port Millom.

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel