Stag Line - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
21:03

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Stag Line

User Tag List

Old 13th April 2011, 22:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdynia View Post
i sailed with your grand father on his last trip i flew home with him from New York
Hi,

Thank you so much for replying to my post. How poignant that you were there on his last trip and flew home with him. I wonder if he was very sad, or whether he was pleased to be finally retiring?
I am so sorry that I never got the opportunity to ask my Grandfather about his career with Stag Line, I am sure that he would have had so many stories to tell me. My Dad and Uncle have told me about my Grandfather as their 'Dad', but it is lovely to be able to complete the picture, by getting to know my Grandfather 'The Captain'.
Best wishes,

Caroline
Old 14th April 2011, 09:38
gdynia gdynia is offline   SN Supporter
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 2010

My location
He was a very hard man but fair one of the best Captains i sailed with
Old 2nd May 2011, 22:00

james shaw

Hi Caroline,
I think I sailed with your Grandfather 63/64 on the Gloxinia, a fine man and a great Skipper. I tried to upload a photo I have of him but unfortunatly it failed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone remembers my Grandfather Captain James Shaw? I believe that he sailed on or captained the Cydonia, Gloxinia, Zinnia and Ixia. I'm trying to find out some more information for my family history and put together some pictures of the ships for my fathers birthday as he has fond memories from when he was very young.
I would be thrilled and very greatful if anyone can help.
Caroline
Old 3rd May 2011, 15:39

james shaw

Hi Caroline,
I have attached a photo of showing the skipper of the Gloxinia on the foredeck sometime in 1963. If it is your Grandfather as I think it is please let me know as I have a couple of others with him on. If it isn't him I appologise. I attach my e-mail addres

[email protected]

Start Bruce
Quote:
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone remembers my Grandfather Captain James Shaw? I believe that he sailed on or captained the Cydonia, Gloxinia, Zinnia and Ixia. I'm trying to find out some more information for my family history and put together some pictures of the ships for my fathers birthday as he has fond memories from when he was very young.
Caroline
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skipper gloxinia177.jpg (56.5 KB, 110 views)
Old 15th May 2011, 02:12
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Engineering

Hello all, I saw the Cydonia (was name the JOY back then) going up the Mississippi River to New ORleans back in december 76. Thought was the coolest ship of all. I lived near the river and spent many hours watching ships. Sad to say though that next August (1977) I saw her in the news. She had an engine room fire and sank in the Gulf of Mexico. A bit of research lead me to the Cydonia. I am now making a model of her.
Old 15th May 2011, 19:47

Captain James Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubru View Post
Hi Caroline,
I have attached a photo of showing the skipper of the Gloxinia on the foredeck sometime in 1963. If it is your Grandfather as I think it is please let me know as I have a couple of others with him on. If it isn't him I appologise. I attach my e-mail addres

[email protected]

Start Bruce
Hi,

Yes, that is my grandfather! What a wonderful photograph of him. I have sent you an e-mail and I would be very greatful for any other photographs that you have. Thank you so much for your time.

Kind regards,

Caroline Stimson
Old 22nd May 2011, 16:30

A sincere thank you

My name is Harry Shaw, my father was Captain James Shaw. A short while ago my daughter Caroline contacted this forum requesting information on my fathet so that she could put together a birthday present for me. Gydinia,Stuart Bruce, Bill Keogh,Kudo, Bigmo and Peter were kind enough to contrubute some reminiscences and even photographs. From the bottom of my heart, I wish to thank you all for helping her to put together a present I will treasure for the rest of my life. Some golden memories were brought back of a few precious days when I was a boy and was sometimes able to spend them with my dad onboard his ships in this country.
I will finish there, for any attempt at the moment, to adequately express my gratitude, or describe the wonderfull memories I have would fall awfully short of the mark.
Thank you all once again
Harry Shaw
Old 23rd May 2011, 14:21

My location
Stag Line

Thank you Harry for your kind words of appreciation. It was a pleasure to be of some help to Caroline. Bill
Old 8th July 2011, 19:00

Stag Line Records

I know this is a thread covering comparatively modern times, but does anyone know what happened to Stag Lines records of older times? I am trying to research someone who was with them in the run up to World War One.
regards
Matt
Old 9th July 2011, 16:22

My location
Stag Line

Hi Matt. Stag Line Records are held in the archives at Blandford House, Blandford Square, Newcastle-upon-Tyne. The reference numbers are 628 and 1351. Bill
Old 12th July 2011, 19:59
LEFO

This is one for Gdynia who I believe sailed with him ,my friend was speaking to his younger son and his daughter whose husband also sailed with the Stag Line but he does not know her married name and he sent this picture to me .The last Stag boat I remember seeing was running construction materials to Sullom Voe cannot remember her name
The person is Capt Reekie who sadly passed away in 2001 or 2002 he was a well known person in his home area of the EAST NEUK
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capt Reekie.jpg (123.2 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by dnobmal; 12th July 2011 at 20:04..
Old 12th July 2011, 22:27
Department: Navigation
Active: 1970 - 1980

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnobmal View Post
This is one for Gdynia who I believe sailed with him ,my friend was speaking to his younger son and his daughter whose husband also sailed with the Stag Line but he does not know her married name and he sent this picture to me .The last Stag boat I remember seeing was running construction materials to Sullom Voe cannot remember her name
The person is Capt Reekie who sadly passed away in 2001 or 2002 he was a well known person in his home area of the EAST NEUK

What a fantastic photograph, posts like this are what ships nostalgia should be all about. I sailed with Capt Reekie at the end of his sea going life. To see him as a young man is very moving. He was part of a sea going generation who experienced things us younger seafarers could never imagine.

Peter
Old 13th July 2011, 08:30
Active: 1961 - 1999

My location
Capt Reekie

Quote:
I sailed with Capt Reekie many times during my 10 years with Stag Line and this is the first time I've seen him in uniform, fantastic!
Old 13th July 2011, 08:32

My location
Quote:
Much appreciated thank you
Old 13th July 2011, 16:56

My location
Stag Line

I sailed with Captain Reekie on my first trip in 1951 on the Begonia Sailed with him later on the Gloxinia never saw him wear a uniform
Old 2nd August 2011, 00:19
Active: 1978 - 1983

Hi

My name is Martin Davies

I have just joined the site so go easy on me please folks.

I joined Stag Line as a Deck Cadet in 1978 sailing on the Begonia's maiden voyage.

I sailed only on the Begonia and Zinnia during my cadetship before qualifying for my 2nd Mates ticket in 1982. I did a short spell for Hunting overseeing the final phase of the building of MV Torseggan (Probably spelt wrong) on the Tyne before being made redundant.

Have many photos on slides but could maybe convert if anyone would like any.

I would love to hear from any of my old friends Jimmy Ferry, Gary Lacey, Simon Purchon, Steve etc etc.

Cheers
Martin
Old 2nd August 2011, 22:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by martind2004 View Post
My name is Martin Davies

I have just joined the site so go easy on me please folks.

I joined Stag Line as a Deck Cadet in 1978 sailing on the Begonia's maiden voyage.

I sailed only on the Begonia and Zinnia during my cadetship before qualifying for my 2nd Mates ticket in 1982. I did a short spell for Hunting overseeing the final phase of the building of MV Torseggan (Probably spelt wrong) on the Tyne before being made redundant.

Have many photos on slides but could maybe convert if anyone would like any.

I would love to hear from any of my old friends Jimmy Ferry, Gary Lacey, Simon Purchon, Steve etc etc.

Cheers
Martin
Hi Martin,

Welcome to a new Staggie on board. Convert, scan and post please the more the better, especially members faces. I have a rather gruesome photo somewhere of Jimmy Ferry crossing the line,I will try and dig it out and post it. I had my wife with me for the first time that trip. Emden to Salvador then Santos where we spent over a month loading. Jimmy was senior cadet and Willy Hunter stopped his tap for being a bad lad. He went to see the old man and offered to do my 12 to 4 new years eve so I could join the party with my wife.
Liked Jimmy a lot.

Peter
Old 3rd August 2011, 14:27

First Pictures

Some of my memories now are a little clouded after 30 years so please correct me if I get anything wrong. I think the 3rd Mate pictured is Jimmy Ferry but I'm honestly not sure. I remember spending many watches and drinking sessions with him but strangely not exactly what he looked like. The other pictures here are the Zinnia approaching Detroit and one of me on a trip ashore in Tunisia and the other cadets Robbie (Levey?) Simon Purchon, Steve and Adam (Cant remember surnames).

More to follow.....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Is this Jimmy....pdf (353.1 KB, 66 views)
File Type: pdf Zinnia approaching Detroit.pdf (455.0 KB, 52 views)
File Type: pdf Me, Robbie, Simon, Steve and Adam.pdf (696.6 KB, 50 views)
Old 3rd August 2011, 15:09

Map of 2nd Trip on Zinnia

I kept a map of my 2nd trip aboard the Zinnia in 1979. Dont know if this sort of thing is of any interest to anyone?

My memories of that trip include buying loads of Egyptian junk in Bur Said and then lobbing it overboard in the Red Sea at the other end of the Suez. Me and my mates joked that the little boats at the southern end of the Suez were fishing it back out for resale.

We spent 34 Days in Karachi in blistering heat while the cargo of coke was removed in whicker baskets.

The Zinnia also had a mishap in the river Plate when a ship in front went aground on a sandbank and our skipper dropped the anchor whilst we were still moving in an attempt to stop us going aground as well or worse still, hitting the other ship. The capstan kind of exploded and we had to have repairs.

Cheers. Martin.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Zinnia Route March - Aug 1979.pdf (709.5 KB, 44 views)
Old 3rd August 2011, 15:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by martind2004 View Post
Some of my memories now are a little clouded after 30 years so please correct me if I get anything wrong. I think the 3rd Mate pictured is Jimmy Ferry but I'm honestly not sure. I remember spending many watches and drinking sessions with him but strangely not exactly what he looked like. The other pictures here are the Zinnia approaching Detroit and one of me on a trip ashore in Tunisia and the other cadets Robbie (Levey?) Simon Purchon, Steve and Adam (Cant remember surnames).

More to follow.....

That's Jimmy.

Peter
Old 3rd August 2011, 15:43
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1959 - 1966

My location
Capt. Jas. Shaw

Quote:
Caroline
Hi Caroline,

I sailed as R/O on the Gloxinia, 3 trips with your Grandad between Feb 1962 to Oct 1962. What a Gentleman. The first words he shouted (Nicely) to me as I passed his cabin on the way to the Radio Room was " SPARKS!! what do you know about radar. I told him I did not have my radar ticket. He then gave me the manual on the Marconi TM45 which was installed and said learn about it"
My folks actually visited the ship in Plymouth when they were on Holiday and I asked him if they could possibly stay the night in the spare cabin next to mine but when my Dad told him he used to be a Bosun he gave them the owners suite during their time in Plymouth. Cheap holiday that one. A very much respected Gentleman and the last time I spoke to him was when in Newcastle on a job but was unable to visit him due to lack of time.
When my folks died I found all the letters I had sent to them while in the MN up to 1968 but also a letter to them from your Grandad. I will scan it and if you want the copy I will gladly send it to you. email: [email protected]

Regards

Vernon Clark

Last edited by Newcastle Star; 4th August 2011 at 12:26..
Old 11th July 2012, 23:43

stag line pics etc

Hello folks,
I was just mucking about looking fora few pics of my dad's old ships.
Unfortunately he is old and has severe Alzheimers, but drifts in with memories of his sea life. It is very sad the way he is but mothing you can do about it, and i still remember spending a lot of time on the ships when i was growing up, with trips accompanied by my mam, and later my brother.

I will hold my breath now as my dad worked for Stag Line and was a skipper called Laurie Hopper.

Unfortunately i had no desire to follow in his footsteps but still have fond memories f all the fantastic people that i met, and looked after me whilst on board when i was growing up.

Regards,

Ian.
Old 13th July 2012, 17:27

My location
Laurie Hopper

Hello Ian I am very sorry to hear your Dad has got alzheimers. When I was apprentice I sailed with your Dad on the old Begonia he was Mate. I was on the Camellia with him when he did his first voyage as Captain. 13th Feb 1959 to 28th March 1959 we went from Hull to Philadelphia loaded grain back to London and then the Tyne for drydocking. I did another voyage with him 10th October 1960 to 20th November 1960 From Manchester to Baie Comeau loaded grain back to London, Hull, and Tyne for draydocking. When he did his first voyage as Captain he was 29 years of age all the Mates were under 30 and all ex Stag Line Apprentices. The last time I saw your Dad and Mam was at the Seamans Club dance in South Shields it was about 1999. Your Dad treated his crews with respect you should be proud of him. I met your Mam a few times a lovely Lady. Regards Bill
Old 16th July 2012, 11:58

Smile re:my dad

Many thanks Bill for your kind words, it is appreciated.
Yes, he has no short term memory really now but still recalls bits and bobs about Stag line and the ships. Very sad this disease as it has no respect for the person at all.

Ian.
Old 16th July 2012, 13:18

My location
I sailed with your father before he went into the office taking over from Captain Mortimer