HMCS Ojibwa (S72) - Ships Nostalgia
00:37

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

HMCS Ojibwa (S72)

User Tag List

Old 29th December 2012, 00:54
Organisation: Other Navies
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 2004

HMCS Ojibwa (S72)

Posted on another, unrelated site, are pictures of HMCS Ojibwa (S72). She's being restored and moved to a permanent display area as a museum ship, although it's on dry land.
If you Google her name, there are a number of links to her history and the story of her preservation.

http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thr...81962#M2781962

"It was common knowledge that you had to be half nuts to ride diesel boats, and the Navy just let it go at that". "Dex" Moore

Last edited by OliverD; 29th December 2012 at 00:57..
Old 29th December 2012, 17:31

Good that she has eventually reached the museum site - she looks good and hopefully there will be sufficient income to keep her miantained. Excellent coverage of the move to land on the site we were directed to.
Old 1st January 2013, 03:24
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 2009

For those interested, here is the link to the "Project Ojibwa" website, which gives much detail on the boat and the successful efforts to preserve her:

http://www.projectojibwa.ca/project/hmcs-ojibwa.aspx
Old 1st January 2013, 21:24
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1967 - 1981

My location
Well, well! Nice to see an old face once again after 49 years!

When I was a pupil at Dover Grammar, I became a member of the CCF (Combined Cadet Force), RN Division and learned to march in the quad to the clack-clack of the Sublieutenant's pace stick, learned to shoot cardboard Nazis at Whale Island and how to evacuate the contents of one's stomach on a mine-sweeper off the Western Isles in a winter gale.Not to mention firing Bofors and experiencing the dropping of mines from a destroyer in the Channel (HMS Diamond I seem to remember). All thrilling stuff and thank you Ojibwa for bringing all that back. As part of our training a visit to Chatham Dockyards was a must and what better time to drop by as for the launching of the Canadian submarine HMCS Ojibwa on the 29th Feb. 1964 (presuming the dockyard got that correct as I don't have a clue to the date).

I soldiered on, let me rephrase, I able-seamaned on for another couple of years enduring the BS and spit-and-polish before leaving school to join the REAL navy.
Old 1st January 2013, 22:25
Department: Electrician
Active: 1966 - 1983

My location
As an apprentice electrical fitter I worked on the Ojibwa far a few weeks while on the submarine section, before going on to spend the remainder of my time in the yard, as an apprentice and then as fitter on surface craft. Although it was a busy time alongside the Battery Shed on St Mary's island with all there various trades engaged in her fitting out she looked impressive, compared to the A class I had been on previously, it is good to see that the Canadians are intent on keeping her as a museum piece - long may she live.

HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Regards
Old 26th March 2014, 14:13

Would have rather have kept Okanagon, Ojibwa was never a happy boat and has very unpleasent memories for most Canadians. (Lt Commander Marsden)

Cheers, Dumah,
Halifax, NS
Old 24th March 2015, 01:24

Sad news on the Ojibwa front:

(From CTV News)

Elgin Military Museum defaults on loan for HMCS Ojibwa

"A municipality is on the hook for $6 million after a local museum defaulted on a loan it took out in order to bring a Cold War-era submarine to the Lake Erie community of Port Burwell."

Complete article here:

http://london.ctvnews.ca/elgin-milit...ibwa-1.2279032
Old 24th March 2015, 01:47
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1944 - 1953

good day oliverD,m,dec.2012.09:54.#1.HMCS OJIBWA(S72)i was looking at old post's and came across yours, the link is brilliant in regard to photo's,amazing transport vehicle.i hope #7 can be resolved.regards ben27
Old 24th March 2015, 16:03
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Active: 1974 - 2017

My location
I recall when serving in RFA GREY ROVER that part of the fin of OKANAGON was hanging in the Officer's Lounge as a reminder of her hitting our hull during an underwater look.

Last edited by TARBATNESS; 24th March 2015 at 16:07..
Old 21st September 2016, 22:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by TARBATNESS View Post
I recall when serving in RFA GREY ROVER that part of the fin of OKANAGON was hanging in the Officer's Lounge as a reminder of her hitting our hull during an underwater look.
That would be a chunk of what's missing from OKANAGAN here (courtesy of http://www.forposterityssake.ca/GALLERIES/OKANAGAN.htm )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Okanaganfin.jpg (49.8 KB, 25 views)