Britannic - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
03:07

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Britannic

User Tag List

Old 30th July 2013, 17:43
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1960 - 1973

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamus View Post
Coming back to the Hobart incident. Here is a picture of the Britannic while we were in Hobart at the time of the incident.

I have few other pictures of the Britannic all taken around 1970/71 if anyone is interested.
Yes Please, good photo' of Her in Hobart. Do you remember a greaser from Deal, Bob Murray? Also the fourth engineer, he was from Glasgow and name George ?, I believe he had been one of the engineers installing the engine and decided he would love to sail on her.
Old 31st July 2013, 08:10
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - 1980

Yes I remember Bob Murray. I remember George very well. His second name escapes me for now. He got married while we were in Glasgow prior to us departing for Australia which was my second trip on the Britannic in 1971.

I will prepare the pictures I have an let you know where you can access them in the next few days.
Old 31st July 2013, 12:33

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamus View Post
Coming back to the Hobart incident. Here is a picture of the Britannic while we were in Hobart at the time of the incident.

I have few other pictures of the Britannic all taken around 1970/71 if anyone is interested.
I would certainly like to see further photographs of the Britannic and congratulations on this 'slide' it is one of the best I have seen of any SS & A Fleet vessels
Regards
Brian (Joe) Brown
Old 31st July 2013, 16:31
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - 1980

Hello Brian,

I can still remember my first day on the Britannic in 1970 when I joined in London. It was you who gave me and the other engineer cadet our very first task. As this was the the first ship we had ever sailed on, you asked us to trace the bilge system and draw up a diagram of it!
Old 22nd April 2018, 10:12
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1964 - 1970

A bit late joining this thread but I was Sparks on Britannic joining her at the end of her maiden voyage in 1967 leaving her in 1969 to join Union Steam in Auckland the trip before the Hobart incident and I was a regular visitor to her whenever she was in port and remember talking to John Seidler about it.

I well remember Charlie Beck a real gentleman born in Essex he spoke fluent german and always refered to the VHF as “the H Weee F” in a german accent and when in Hamburg the mate told us that the stevedore had been telling him that he had sailed with him during the war when CB was 3rd Mate on a german ship!! Very strange as his charming wife was telling me while we were waiting for an RT call to come through whilst at anchor off Southend that she was secretary to the head of the secret service during the war after a spell as telephonist at No 10. CB only wore medals you would associate with someone his age and never spoke of his war experiences.

George McGavin was the Glaswegian 4th Eng refered to earlier, a great sense of humour he had a habit of falling asleep on the loo and managed to get himself locked in a Scotstoun pub one night.

A great ship and I have some good memories from her.

Phil