Bibby Line - Page 13 - Ships Nostalgia
18:31

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Bibby Line

User Tag List

Old 6th October 2013, 00:58

Reading this thread certainly brings back some names from the past.
My first trip with Bibbys was in 1960 on the troopship Devonshire.
Sailed with Adrian Moore when he was Chief Officer on the passenger
Cargo liner Warwickshire. Remember Eric Jones when he was 2nd Mate and also Ch.Off. Both of them thorough gentleman. For some reason Adrian always called me Jimmy. God knows why. A great Company to sail with Bibbys, possibly the best in my opinion. And I am comparing them with Cunard and P&O, both companies I sailed with.
Regards
John.

Last edited by John Callon; 6th October 2013 at 01:19.. Reason: Spelling
Old 8th October 2013, 13:25
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1966 - 1977

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartmouth Mariner View Post
Mahala,
Sad to hear about what became of Captain Jones. If his daughter Rachel is the child I was thinking of, she was probably about two years old when on board Atlantic Bridge in 1970.
Like you, I wouldn't mind having a copy of M29's DVD when he gets around to it.
Kind regards.
Ken
You would certainly get a copy, although I can't remember if you appear in it, perhaps briefly in a bridge shot. Most of the engineers appear, also our boiler in bits on the poop deck. I will stry to make it a priority for the bad winter evenings.

Best Wishes

Alan

Last edited by M29; 8th October 2013 at 13:27..
Old 8th October 2013, 13:40

My location
Hi Guys

I am wondering if anyone has any photos of Atlantic Bridge or Pacific Bridge? They are like hens teeth. I have three Fotoflight black and whites of Pacific Bridge in the channel and one of Atlantic Bridge as Dorsetshire.

While I was on them it was impossible to get anywhere to take a suitable photo so places we went too good, but no ship.

TTFN

Michael.
Old 8th October 2013, 13:58
Department: Navigation
Active: 1968 - 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masirah View Post
Hi Guys

I am wondering if anyone has any photos of Atlantic Bridge or Pacific Bridge? They are like hens teeth. I have three Fotoflight black and whites of Pacific Bridge in the channel and one of Atlantic Bridge as Dorsetshire.

While I was on them it was impossible to get anywhere to take a suitable photo so places we went too good, but no ship.

TTFN

Michael.
Here is the Pacific Bridge

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pacific Bridge.jpg (295.7 KB, 53 views)
Old 8th October 2013, 15:38

My location
Pacific Bridge

This is one of the fotoflight pictures, taken 18th November 68 when we were inward bound to IJmuiden where we arrived at 0400 on the 19th and anchored. We had left Cowes roads at 0530 having stopped for bunkers.

The starboard side bow view is slightly damaged top right.

The right ahead view is quite impressive.

TTFN

Michael
Old 10th October 2013, 21:22

Some sad news about our 'leader' - (from 2002)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2525237.stm

Last edited by Brian Sladovich; 11th October 2013 at 09:52..
Old 10th October 2013, 21:35

Found this link quite useful. Click on link and then 'ships' (eg) on top line to find out 'who's where' - ha ha ha ! ( BIBBY LINE GAZETTE )

http://www.paulsteel.webspace.virginmedia.com/gazette/

Last edited by Brian Sladovich; 10th October 2013 at 21:41..
Old 10th October 2013, 22:06

My first trip - Mv Lancashire (GOUY) - 15 September '75 / March '76, Liverpool / Hong Kong. ( Capt' Ronni Weir, ex BI you know. The first c/o - Neil Marshal, was ex BI as well. CHARACTER BUILDING STUFF - ha ha ha ! )

(16/02/1976)
Spring 1976
Captain Weir R.
Chief Eng Officer Vick B.
Chief Officer Blacker K.G.
2nd Officer Maingi R.C.
3rd Officer Marsden D.
Deck Cadet Hughes S.P.M.
Deck Cadet Perry D.
Deck Cadet Haines J.
Deck Cadet Sladovich B.
Radio Officer Ferry W.J.
Trainee Radio Officer Horton M.F.
Purser Kimberley D.
2nd Eng Officer Firth M.
3rd Eng Officer Currid J.P.
4th Eng Officer Roberts S.L.
Junior Eng Officer McFadden J.P.
Electrical Officer Brown G.
Storekeeper Hossain M.
Carpenter Rolling W.J.
Serang (Deck) Roy S.B.
Serang (Engine) Samajpati A.K.
Cook Ladu S.K.
(10/09/1976)
Autumn 1976

Last edited by Brian Sladovich; 11th October 2013 at 14:24..
Old 10th October 2013, 23:01

First trip 3rd mate (uncertificated but certified) - Mv Lancashire (1977/78) - CSAV charter South American (west coast) Cruise, not much sea food but lots of crabs though. (sorry about that chaps)

Spring 1978
Captain Miller K.D.
Chief Eng Officer Brown L.G.
Chief Officer Southby M.
2nd Officer Johnson L.H.M.
3rd Officer Sladovich B.
Deck Cadet Wilkinson J.M.
Deck Cadet Singleton G.H.
Deck Cadet Hart P.D.
Radio Officer Hallett M.J.
Purser Kimberley D.
2nd Eng Officer Packer C.R.
3rd Eng Officer Patterson F.H.
4th Eng Officer Hutchinson G.
Junior Eng Officer Morris T.
Engineer Cadet Davies P.E.
Electrical Officer Hallam D.
Storekeeper Hussain T.
Carpenter Preston A.G.
Serang (Deck) Dey P.K.
Serang (Engine) Mukherjee D.
Cook Singh P.
(27/09/1978)
Autumn 1978

Last edited by Brian Sladovich; 11th October 2013 at 14:33..
Old 11th October 2013, 09:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninabaker View Post
I was 3/O on the Lancashire from July to Nov 1977, having come from BP Tankers where I did my time. Looking at my discharge book it looks as though the captain was a D.Kimberley? I was then 2/O on the Dorsetshire until April 1978, captain seems to have been Reed. I then went to college to do my mate's ticket and left the company.

The Lancashire voyage was really interesting for a newbie to cargo boats all round europe and north africa and then Namibia and South Africa and back. I remember we were over a week in Durban, unheard of luxury for someone used to the instant turn around on tankers. Also several days in Cape town. I was very impressed that the coast of Namibia was so featureless as to have whalebones marked on the chart as objects of significance!]

On the Dorsetshire we shuttled maize from New Orleans to Novorossisk (Top right hand corner of Black sea), twice. Novorossisk was cold and dirty horrible place but the russian cargo supervisor there taught me all I ever want to know about russian alcohol problems: a game called "Bear" (well, presumably the russian word for a bear) where you all sit round a table and when someone shouts BEAR you all drink your glass of vodka and dive under the table. Then you resume your seat and repeat the whole thing until no one can get back up from under the table!

I was at Plymouth College with several Bibby cadets in the period 1972-76, but can only remember one name: Tim Leighton.
Hi Nina,

Don't know if you're still about on this forum but, I took over from you as 3rd mate on the Lancashire at Bordeaux in November 1977. If I remember correctly, you were Bibby's first female officer. When you were there, the Captains would have been K.Gowsell & John Routledge. ( Dave Kimberley was the Purser )

Regards, Brian

Last edited by Brian Sladovich; 11th October 2013 at 11:23..
Old 5th December 2013, 18:44
Department: Electrician
Active: 1965 - 1971

Has anybody on here travelled with my dad?

Charlie Brotherston (electrician/officer) with Bibby from 1965 to 1971?
Old 5th December 2013, 19:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great_Scot! View Post
Has anybody on here travelled with my dad?

Charlie Brotherston (electrician/officer) with Bibby from 1965 to 1971?
A bit before my time but, if you don't have any luck here, try this link -Regards ............... http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/bibby-line/
Old 1st January 2014, 10:45
Department: Deck
Active: 1963 - 1984

Hello there LEEJ. Can you tell me if the Derbyshire was once the Caster Bridge. I joined the Caster Bridge in Belfast. I lost my Discharge Book and cannot remember the date but it was in the '70s. We had a split on the deck just in front of the housing (all aft). A cement box was applied and nothing more was thought of it. We loaded Iro Ore in West Africa and discharged in Nagoya, Japan. We then went to Dampier in NW Australia. Loaded Iron Ore for the UK (I think). The Derbyshire had the same problem with her deck, it was something to do with strengthening in the bulkheads. On our way to Nagoya we hit very bad weather in the South China Sea. Our speed was slowed down but on a morning a Tanker sailed past us at full speed. An hour later she had broken her back and we had to make a leeway for her. We got all the life jackets, blankets, Jacob ladders and nets over the side to try and get the crew but a Chinese naval boat more or less told us to sail on to our destination. It was so sad. We went to the bridge to ask the Captain for an explaination on why he was leaving and he told us Chinese navy ordered us out of the area. So back to my original question, was this the ill-fated Derbyshire?
Thank you for your time and for any response.
Barnsley Sloan (Deck)
Old 1st January 2014, 11:58

@ Boardwriter - the Derbyshire was the Liverpool Bridge. If you want some more info on the Derbyshire, try the links below. Regards !

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/bibby-line/
www.en.Wikipedia.org/wiki/M.v._Derbyshire

Last edited by Brian Sladovich; 1st January 2014 at 18:19..
Old 8th January 2014, 01:08
Active: 1975 - 1985

Hi

The name is Geoff not Brian. Valentine and yes I was R/O on my favourite Bibby vessel Lincoinshire sadly now scrapped at Alang in 2002.

best wishes

Geoff Valentine
Old 8th January 2014, 19:46
Department: Engineering
Active: 1976 - 1983

Ah, the Lincolnshire. I was at her launch as a small boy - Derek Bibby dropped the cheque and i went under a table to recover it for him - biggest amount of money I ever had in my hands! I suppose it was just a ceremonial thing rather than real payment. You must recall my father, Bill Hay? He was 2/E standing by on her build, or Ian Hay my brother R/O?

Neil Hay
Old 8th January 2014, 20:22

Neil it would not be a ceremonial thing with the cheque. Bibbys paid cash for most of their ships after the acceptance trials.
Regards
John
Old 8th January 2014, 21:33
Active: 1976 - 1983

Hi John - It was at the launch, so hardly at completion! I was at the launch of the Cheshire and Berkshire too - but missed the Oxo. No wonder I ended up at sea!! Happy days.
Old 8th January 2014, 22:16

Hi Neil
Bibbys paid for their ships in installments, first payment made on the launch, and balance paid after acceptance trials. There was an exception to this practice which was when the Labour government back in the 70's were throwing cash grants around like there was no tomorrow to entice the shipowners to build new tonnage, This was when Bibbys started to build their bulk carriers and OBO's in Japan.
Regards
John
Old 28th January 2014, 16:00
Active: 1966 - 1977

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Callon View Post
Hi Neil
Bibbys paid for their ships in installments, first payment made on the launch, and balance paid after acceptance trials. There was an exception to this practice which was when the Labour government back in the 70's were throwing cash grants around like there was no tomorrow to entice the shipowners to build new tonnage, This was when Bibbys started to build their bulk carriers and OBO's in Japan.
Regards
John
Hi John, Neil et al.

Stood by the "English Bridge" during completion and then did trials.
We finished in Hamburg for final pipe lagging in the engine room.
On completion we had a ceremony on the Monkey Island where the builders flag was hauled down and Bibby's pennant raised.
I was gob smacked when Mr Bibby pulled a cheque book and pen out of his inside pocket and wrote a cheque out for several million. This was handed to the ship builders rep with a handshake, job done!

Alan
Old 28th January 2014, 17:48
Active: 1975 - 1985

English Bridge

All

After trilas the rumour had it that the vesel was then fixed on the highest ever oil charter at some fantastic rate per day!!

Geoff Valentine
Radio Officer
Bibby Line
Old 28th January 2014, 22:39

Hi Geoff, Alan and Neil
As I said before Bibbys paid cash for their ships, as Alan has confirmed. On the other side of the fence however, when I was working in their head office, I happened to be in the Cash Department going through some figues with a guy by the name of Bob Tushingham (his sister was Rita the actress) when Derek Bibby came into the Office and announced that he off to Bermuda and needed some money. The Chief Cashier asked him how much he would like, to which DB replied, I think £5 will suffice. No wonder he could pay cash for his ships. Bibbys also got the most favourable charter rates as their Managing Director and a principal shareholder, Gerald Harding, had a younger brother, Peter who was riding high on the Baltic Exchange.
Regards
John
Old 30th January 2014, 13:47
Department: Navigation
Active: 1952 - 1976

You really should separate nostalgia from facts. Bibby were no different than any other British shipowner in how they paid for their vessels. Personal, outward austerity and other similar traits were often employed by owners when in the company of staff to ensure corporate compliance. That same austerity was not necessarily carried over to their private lives.
Old 30th January 2014, 15:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariniero View Post
You really should separate nostalgia from facts. Bibby were no different than any other British shipowner in how they paid for their vessels. Personal, outward austerity and other similar traits were often employed by owners when in the company of staff to ensure corporate compliance. That same austerity was not necessarily carried over to their private lives.
I agree ! Far too much nostalgic nonsense. Derek and his company Bibby Line, were very good at the austerity trick, particularly when it came to paying out compensation (as with the dependants of the Derbyshire) and redundancy to it's loyal employees.
Old 30th January 2014, 19:13
Active: 1971 - 1984

Mike,

1981 - Devonshire off South Africa?

I joined a ship that had a bunch of people airlifted off, and we joined by helicopter. Someone took a picture of me being lowered, one hand on the strop and the other holding my stereo.

BTW I've cobbled together from what I've been able to get hold of, to create a sort of online Bibby Gazette,

Feel free to have a browse at http://www.paulsteel.webspace.virginmedia.com/gazette/

Quote:
Originally Posted by budrover View Post
My recollection of time with Bibbys was meeting some great people and visiting amazing ports ....quite an adventure.

Started as Eng Cadet in Southampton in 76...and then

1978 Devonshire ...Gulf to Argentina shuttle
1978 Dart America ...xmas with bad scavenge fire and 3 days drifting
1979 Lancashire ...Europe/South America

1980 Staffordshire - maiden trip from Glasgow
1981 Devonshire - Bosun arm caught in skylight&hit a big wave and 12 guys air lifted off
1982 Herefordshire South Africa/Australia/Gulf ... had to change Doxford fuel pump crank on front of engine

Excellent time ...above jog any memories

Mike Moran

Bibby Gazettes