Spero, Ellerman Wilson Line (1969). - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
17:56

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Spero, Ellerman Wilson Line (1969).

User Tag List

Old 23rd September 2013, 08:33
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1968 - 1983

spero

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgreggie View Post
hello Peter, nice to hear from you, where did you use to go on the Spero of your day?
The Spero I was on was a ro/ro ferry from Hull to Gothenburg, up till then i had only ever worked on tankers and cargo boats.I didn't like the Spero when I joined it, we lived so far down in the ship it was awful. I started off in the crew mess, serving them their meals and cleaning up, the job was ok. as I was working on my own, I then found out that there was a football team on the ship and that they were hoping to get into a league for merchant navy ships of any nationality and to play in the team I transferred to working in the passenger cafeteria.
It turned out to be a fantastic job, I was in the football team so life was brilliant.
I ended staying on the ship for 1 year and had a great time, I got the sack for continually turning to late, I can't blame them as I really was a pain, the social life on the ship was really good and it took it's toll.
All in all I really enjoyed my time on there.
I was also with the same shipping company with the Cicero and then the Silvio and enjoyed those ships, perhaps not so much the Cicero.
I worked in catering, mainly as a galley boy, it was a job I really enjoyed, I must have been one of the fastest spud peelers in the western world.......and loved it!
Again, it was nice to hear from you.
Ray
I was on spero and I got the sack for turning to late after a party to celerbrate my birthday cant remember the date
Old 23rd September 2013, 10:29
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr g elliott View Post

I was on spero and I got the sack for turning to late after a party to celerbrate my birthday cant remember the date
Your memory is bad! Most people have no trouble remembering the date of their birthday.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 23rd September 2013, 15:29
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1968 - 1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stringer View Post
Your memory is bad! Most people have no trouble remembering the date of their birthday.
think I was 24 but the stewards told every one I was 21 had 2 strokes at xmas gordon
Old 27th September 2013, 16:30
Department: Navigation
Active: 1959 - 1986

My location
I sailed with Captain Freddie Briggs in 1964, he was relieving on the City of Winnipeg, did he go to the Spero shortly after that.

Andy.
Old 5th February 2014, 22:51

please add yourself to our new FB group all about EWL Hull, might bring back some memories for you also you might be able to contribute to the site, Im try to build like a history group on the company, if you know anyone else who might be interested then please share our link below.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ewlhull/

Regards Andy