Training ship City of Lucknow (merged threads) - Page 4 - Ships Nostalgia
05:53

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Training ship City of Lucknow (merged threads)

User Tag List

Old 23rd September 2017, 10:01
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1954 - 1993

I remember Alan Bole from Liverpool Byrom Street. He, along with Len Holder and Terry Beggs were Lecturers and all ex Blue Flue.
Old 23rd September 2017, 10:45
Active: 1962 - 1973

Think you have got the wrong man Barrie as I did my radar certificate at Sir John Case in London. Anyway it is always good to hear from one of the 'finest British Cadets' as Captain BTW RNR called us. So may great memories.
Can someone tell me where to find the pictures of the Lucknow and us lads on this site. It's probably an age thing as I am also 72!
Old 23rd September 2017, 11:04

My apologies, John!

We were certainly with a John Bell from Ellerman Lines (although I recall that he had been in Papayannis - and therefore possibly not C of Lucknow). What's in a name!

Many thanks for your clarification.
Old 22nd June 2018, 17:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Get in touch - I was on this ship in 1962/1963 as an Ellerman Line Cadet - Gareth George
Hi Gareth,
I remember you you well and the great times we shared on the old 'City of Lucknow" That first trip - round the world was a hard act to follow. If you would like to get in touch my email address is [email protected]. Hope this finds you in good health.
Kindest regards,
John Bell
Old 25th June 2018, 14:44
Active: 1956 - 2014

Hi Ron Keith Beverley J2/O on the Lucknow for 3 voyages. Left Ellermans when they sold the Lucknow and moved into Tankers, Mobil Oil. Better pay more chance of promotion, I had looked at the Ellermans promotion and seen the youngest C/O was 40. In Mobil I was C/O at 25 and I got a Command at 30.Stayed with them until retirement in Nov. 1995 but was re-employed by them has Terminal Superintendent Mooring Master in Feb 1996. Short retirement. Fully retired after several other posts in 2015.
Old 25th June 2018, 17:23
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Lovely to hear from you again Keith, remember you well. We did meet once after we both left the City of Lucknow, down at Coryton (I think) when we had just fitted an early Satcom equipment aboard one of Mobil's lightering vessels that collected North Sea oil from the Tetney monobuoy terminal.

That was probably over 30 years ago. My 'main man', a tall Montenegrin engineer, had overseen the work and I paid a flying visit to see how things had gone. I recall being amazed to see you as soon as I walked aboard, it having been about 20 years then since we had sailed together. Of all the many people that were on the City of Lucknow during my 18 months there (4 deep-sea voyages and a coasting), you were the only one that I ever met subsequently. Being at sea was funny like that - 'ships that pass in the night' is a very apt description of the way we lived.

Have you retired back up to Hull or spread your wings to foreign (i.e. not Yorkshire) parts? Good luck and good health in your retirement.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 27th June 2018, 12:01
Active: 1956 - 2014

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Get in touch - I was on this ship in 1962/1963 as an Ellerman Line Cadet - Gareth George
Hi Gareth, Keith Beverley J2/O on the Lucknow for her last three voyages. I remember you well you were on the 12 to 4 with me for quite a while on one voyage. Hope you are keeping well. I left Ellermans when the Lucknow went and joined Mobil Tankers stayed there for 30+ years retired in 1995 for the first time had 4 more retirements after that, the last in Dec 2015 When I decide 76 was a good innings.
Best regards, Keith
Old 27th August 2018, 12:21

SS "City of Lucknow" Plaque

Just a bit of nostalgia to remind us of some past fun and memorable days.
I remember painting this plaque and it hangs on my study wall along with some other memorabilia 'liberated' from the Lucknow just before she went off to be recycled.
If anyone wants to get in touch it would be great to hear from you and even better to meet up.
Please contact me at:
[email protected]
01293 521699

John Bell
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SS %22City of Lucknow%22 Plaque.jpg (152.3 KB, 30 views)
Old 27th August 2018, 22:57
Department: Navigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stringer View Post
Please ignore the title of this thread, it was my first posting and It should have read "Training Ship City of Lucknow" but I put my name in the wrong box and could find no way of changing the title. The 'Edit' facility only works on the text, not the heading.

The reason for my initial post (#1 of this thread) was to try and persuade some former Ellerman navigating apprentices (who had sailed on the City of Lucknow) to contribute to the Rakaia website of Red Ensign training ships. After my request, the owner of that site created a section for the ship (he had previously been unaware that JRE had even had a training facility) and, later, Terry Lyons contributed the following piece:

Built by William Denny and Brothers Limited, Dumbarton, City of Lucknow was launched in November 1945 and, after fitting out, was delivered to the Ellerman Hall Line in May 1946. Designed to be a general cargo vessel of 9,961 gross tons (5,954 net) with a length overall of 475 feet, she had accommodation on the promenade deck for 12 passengers, and her single screw was driven by Parsons turbines of 880 nominal horsepower.

In 1958 City of Lucknow was transferred to Ellerman and Bucknall, and her passenger accommodation was converted to house a total of 25 cadets, an Instructional Chief Officer and a Schoolroom. City of Lucknow had four hatches forward of the bridge and two aft of it, and, although the cadets did not entirely replace the normal complement of Indian deck crew, they were responsible to the Bosun for all the deck work forward of the bridge. Two Quartermasters provided instruction in seamanship, and the cadets manned the fo’castle and the accommodation ladder when entering and leaving port. With a Master in the Royal Naval Reserve and a Bosun who had served in the Royal Navy, the cadets were expected to perform their duties and routines in a most efficient and disciplined manner.

The cadets were divided into 3 sections – Junior, Intermediate and Senior – and normally spent 3 or 4 voyages on City of Lucknow, before transferring to other vessels in the Ellerman fleet. Whilst in this role, City of Lucknow usually operated between the UK, USA and Australia with voyage lengths of less than 6 months duration.

In 1963, City of Lucknow was sold, and cadet training on this scale within the Ellerman Lines fleet was discontinued.

At the end of the piece, (the only contribution so far) the site owner restated his invitation:

Further information on this Company and its cadet training operation would be most welcome.

You former JRE apprentices must have some stories to tell about your time aboard. Some of you have posted photos on the SN site. I feel it sad that there might be no single record of the times (both happy and less so) that were spent by those young guys on the City of Lucknow, at a formative stage of their lives. If you read about the similar vessels operated by NZS/Federal and Elder Dempsters, you can see that apprentices' lives and experiences there were very similar to your own. But yours remain unknown to a wider audience.

I hope that someone can come forward and add to the CofL section. Surely you don't want Chief Officer Lyons to be the only person known to have served aboard the vessel?

You can see the existing entry, and post more information and pictures here:

http://www.rakaia.co.uk/ellerman.html
It would be helpful if you didn't use yellow font which on some computers, including mine, is unreadable.

Cheers

Howard
Old 29th August 2018, 16:30
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
As far as I remember, I didn't use any colour for the original posting, just copied and inserted the response from Terry Lyons - which, I think was in black, not colour. Something must have changed in the interim.

I fully agree with you, I can't read it either unless I highlight it first but at this late stage I can't edit the posting to put it "back to black", it would need to be done by a moderator or one of the support technical staff.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 21st January 2019, 15:58

Hi
I am new to the site and looking for anyone that was on City of Lucknow 1960-1962
Many names escape me but I have been updated by Paul Hogan who is researching Sandy McGregor.
My first trip was Oct 1960 from Cardiff to Oz via Montreal and Charleston. We did Brisbane, Newcastle,Sydney and Melbourne and I think this was called the Bowater run as we discharged newsprint, loaded in Canada.
If there is anyone out there that was on board or anyone interested about that time, please drop me a line.
[email protected]