Correspondence from Wellpark - Ships Nostalgia
02:26

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Correspondence from Wellpark

User Tag List

Old 3rd November 2007, 16:25

My location
Correspondence from Wellpark

Discussion thread for Correspondence from Wellpark. If you would like to add a comment, click the New Reply button
Old 4th November 2007, 15:05

Cool

Superb insight into ( and photos of ) the incident and into life aboard in general.

My father sailed with Hector Connell's father and I have always had an interest in the story of the ship which;

a/ bears the name of the park in my hometown where November Ceremonies are held each year.

b/ was the successor to the previous Wellpark on which my father sailed.

Great to hear ( read ) the story first hand...thanks for posting.

A
Old 4th November 2007, 18:36

Absolutely fascinating to read and brings back memories of the days when the main form of communication between sea staff and their relatives was the letter. None of the instant contact today by email

If I remember correctly WELLPARK was a sister ship to Clarksons CLARKSPEY and Turnbull Scotts TRONGATE
Old 4th November 2007, 21:27

My location
Sorry, No.

The Wellpark in question was a Mitsubishi built bulker with modified accommodation to facilitate use as a cadetship.
After the cadets were 'phased out' she became Ga Chau, still under Denholm, and is probably still trading under other owners.

Clarkspey was a much earlier Lithgows cargo ship which spent most of her Denholm life chartered to Port Line and named Port Campbell. On expiry of the charter she was sold to Counties Ship Management(Mavroleon) and renamed Kings Reach.

She had a younger faster sister named Clarkforth.

All above believed correct but not guaranteed, I can't remember anything about Trongate.
Old 5th November 2007, 13:56
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1947 - 1986

Apart from the fascinating account of the rescue of the Vietnamese "boat people" and their subsequent enforced stay aboard Wellpark, your correspondent proves himself to be a gifted letter-writer, all the more so considering his relative youth. Whether he is still employed at sea or not, I would imagine that he could well turn his hand to professional writing.

This correspondence is in itself an outstanding piece of Merchant Navy social history.
Old 5th November 2007, 18:18

Re CLARKSPEY, I must have got my ships mixed up. However, TRONGATE was a Mitsubishi built geared bulk carrier aprox 29500 mts deadweight, built 1977. From memory, I thought she was a sister to WELL PARK but it was a long time ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by randcmackenzie View Post
Sorry, No.

The Wellpark in question was a Mitsubishi built bulker with modified accommodation to facilitate use as a cadetship.
After the cadets were 'phased out' she became Ga Chau, still under Denholm, and is probably still trading under other owners.

Clarkspey was a much earlier Lithgows cargo ship which spent most of her Denholm life chartered to Port Line and named Port Campbell. On expiry of the charter she was sold to Counties Ship Management(Mavroleon) and renamed Kings Reach.

She had a younger faster sister named Clarkforth.

All above believed correct but not guaranteed, I can't remember anything about Trongate.
Old 5th November 2007, 20:05

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentlandpirate View Post
Discussion thread for Correspondence from Wellpark. If you would like to add a comment, click the New Reply button
I so enjoyed the letters and they remineded me of my time as a cadet writing to my Mum, also on a farm in Caithness. Mail was just about the most important thing to us all and how we enjoyed those letters from home.

Thank you Pirate for giving us all such a vivid description of the rescue and it was so fortunate that the lifeboat was eventually released - onload release gear not being mandatory then.
JC
Old 27th November 2007, 20:25

My location
A cadet's life

Were your days as a cadet some of the best days of your life?
Old 16th September 2008, 14:28

old fogies
Old 19th August 2014, 21:41
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1972 - Present

Tynesider is correct - I was there. Clarkspey was April 1977, Wellpark about 1 month later, then Trongate. All built at Mitsubishi yard in Hiroshima.