Naming of Union Company Ships - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
03:13

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Naming of Union Company Ships

User Tag List

Old 4th September 2017, 05:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by lensoveta View Post
Nice to see the Union Company mentioned as it was a big company both in New Zealand and also Australia. Having sailed on various union Co. ships in the 60's and 70's mainly on the Aussie coast and one voyage to Lyttleton in the early seventies. Just to name the ones I sailed on as follows.. Pateena, Kumalla, Kootara, Risdon , Seaway Queen and Seaway Prince, as you may be aware Wm.Holyman & Co. was part owned by the Union Company. Their ships mainly sailed out of Tasmanian ports to Melbourne and Adelaide and the vessels that I sailed on with that Co. were Tarrina, Wareatea,William Holyman and their last ship, Mary Holyman.Yet another peice of shipping history has passed us by. Hope this maybe of some interest to members.
Kind Regards, lensoveta (Kevin Harrison)
Lindsay Sparks also sailed on the Mary Holyman. By chance did you sail with Lindsay
Old 20th April 2018, 04:45

Union Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer682 View Post
Up until the time the Union Company was sold by P&O to Tasman Union Ltd. (a company jointly owned by N.Z. Maritime Holdings and T.N.T. Shipping (NZ) Ltd.), all the Company's ships (with some exceptions) were given Maori names. After this the "Union" prefix began to appear, when the Company started to re-tonnage itself with the hitherto unheard of, chartering of ships.
As a rule of thumb (and again there were some exceptions), ships with a Maori name (e.g. UNION ROTORUA, UNION ROTOMA), were owned by the Company and those with a place name (e.g. UNION AUSTRALIA, UNION DUNEDIN) were chartered.
Changes in shipping methods and practices steadily eroded the fleet. In 1972 at the time of the handover, there were 47 ships and a staff of 3345. In 1982, this was down to 13 ships and 1619 staff. By 1988, there were 9 ships and 835 staff. By 1999, the Company owned only three ships and today the Company has gone.
Union Sydney - I think was another one which was chartered - Registered in Hamilton, Bermuda - Radio callsign - ZBME
Old 6th July 2018, 03:41

Hi
I sailed with Union Company ships on NZ coast and between NZ and Aussie during the 70s MV Kowhai. MV Kaitoa. MV Karetu. MV Wanaka. Then moved on to Crusader line.
I was an electrian
Old 6th July 2018, 07:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les77 View Post
Hi
I sailed with Union Company ships on NZ coast and between NZ and Aussie during the 70s MV Kowhai. MV Kaitoa. MV Karetu. MV Wanaka. Then moved on to Crusader line.
I was an electrian
I always remember them as business looking like ships in the 50's during my spell in the antipodes, never did get to board one, the Nurses Homes held more attractions!

Poor 'Wanaka' an unfortunate name if you missed out the second 'a' whilst transmitting on the lamp
Old 6th July 2018, 23:06

Hi
Wanaka is correct spelling,it is the same as a tourist place in the South Island.
The Wanaka was a roll on roll off ship.
Old 6th July 2018, 23:55
Spongebob
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1961

Quote:
Hi
I was an electrian
Hi Les, I sailed on Kaitoa in 1960 when we lost the old Auckland vehicular ferry while attempting to tow it to Hobart.

Bob
Old 7th July 2018, 03:18

Hi Bob
We took coal from Westport to whangari then to Aussie to pick up gypsum and back to Westport.Kaitoa took over that run when the previous ship blew up and sunk from the coal dust on the west coast of the North Island.all hands lost
Old 7th July 2018, 06:39

Quote:
Hi
Wanaka is correct spelling,it is the same as a tourist place in the South Island.
The Wanaka was a roll on roll off ship.
Oh! Dear! woe is me!
Old 13th July 2018, 02:52

Everybody seems to remember the "K" and "W" ships but there is no mention of the Monowai. I did most of my deckboy's time in her back in1954. Sailed in Karamu, Kaitangata, Kaponga, Navua, Konui, Kauri and Koraki when she was delivered in April '58.
Spent some time in Parera (Richardson's) and Hotonui and Ratanui (Northern Steam).
First ship was Kapuni (Frankham's) which I joined by mistake. The Union official at the Shipping Office called for a deckboy for the Kapuni. Hearing the name starting with a "K" I made sure that I was first through the door as I thought it was a U.S.S,Co ship. The two other D.B's on the Corner had gone invisible and I found out why when I walked the length of King's Wharf three times looking a black hull with the appropriate name.
Old 14th September 2018, 03:52
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1957 - 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugger View Post
Hi everyoner.
I'm knew on site. spent from 1957 to 1964 on the NZ coast. mostly Union Co
Konui, karu, kaiapoi, waipori, kurow. karatane. kawerau.waimate, kaimai,konini
and the Calm.
Cheers tugger
Hi Tugger,
I was at sea at about the same time 1957-1962, on a lot of the ships you mentioned. My first was the 'MV Piri .shipped mainly out of Dunedin.
Old 25th April 2019, 20:44

Tazman shipping

Hi lads and all in new zealand can you help me find two ships 1 tasman enterprize 2 tasman venture. I am looking for photos of them. My brother in law worked has a super cargo for this company he has just passed over the bar his name was captain peter tate he lived in n.z. I am putting a book together for his wife on all the ships he sailed on can you lads help me compleate it with thses two ships sam2182sw from hull england