Sophie, sunk 1921 - Ships Nostalgia
22:01

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Sophie, sunk 1921

User Tag List

Old 18th October 2016, 09:45

Sophie, sunk 1921

Hello,

I am trying to find information about a coaster (if the description is correct) that sunk in the Black Sea, near Constanta, on September 16, 1921.

All what I have is:
"The coaster struck a mine and sank in the Black Sea 14 nautical miles (26 km) off Constanţa, Romania. Her crew were rescued. [ Casualty reports. The Times (42829). London. 19 September 1921. col F, p. 18.]"

Unfortunately I cannot find any way to access The Times archive online (it seems there's a single service for institutions, nothing for private persons) and because the name is too common, it's pretty hard to find something.

Any information will be much appreciated. Even the real quote from Times (maybe it lists the builder, the owner, or anything useful).

Thanks,
Victor Stanescu
Old 18th October 2016, 14:17

Here's the report in The Times for 19 September 1921: "Lloyd's Agent at Constanza telegraphs September 16th as follows: 'French steamer Sophie (ex Russian steamer Trud) with 700 tons of coal from Zoungouldak to Braila struck a mine and sank 2am 16 September 14 miles off Constanza. Crew landed here. (The Sophie was a steamer of 614 gross tonnage, registered Marseilles).'

Dave W
Old 18th October 2016, 17:44

Many thanks, this information was priceless. I have managed to learn a little bit more: Trud was built in 1891 at Stabilimento Tecnico Trieste, it was owned by A.A. Theofani, first registered at Rostoff then renamed Sophie and registered at Marseilles.

614 gross tons, 326 net tons.
length 63.85m
width 9.63m
draft 3.29m

Classed by Bureau Veritas.

If this helps anybody to find out even more data - or maybe a photo of the ship.. :-)
Old 18th October 2016, 20:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wightspirit View Post
Here's the report in The Times for 19 September 1921: "Lloyd's Agent at Constanza telegraphs September 16th as follows: 'French steamer Sophie (ex Russian steamer Trud) with 700 tons of coal from Zoungouldak to Braila struck a mine and sank 2am 16 September 14 miles off Constanza. Crew landed here. (The Sophie was a steamer of 614 gross tonnage, registered Marseilles).'

Dave W
I have a question for you? Where/how did you found this information? If there's some online service where I create an account to access this kind of info, I'd be more than tempted to get access to it..

Thanks,
Victor
Old 19th October 2016, 09:23

Victor

If you Google 'Times Digital Archive' you'll find the subscription website. If you are a member of a UK library which subscribes to the archive, you can obtain free access. Another website which might be of interest is the British Newspaper Archive - again a subscription service, but absolutely invaluable for research.

Dave W
Old 21st October 2016, 10:34

Hello Dave,

Unfortunately I'm not a member of any UK library, and in my country no library has access to this digital archive (i guess it costs something). British Newspaper Archive doesn't hold The Times. Sometimes I managed to get the same news copied in some other newspaper, but not always.

Would you be so kind to share just one more report with me, if you have access to it?

Casualty reports". The Times (42569). London. 16 November 1920. col D, p. 24

Something about Nicholas, a greek ship.

Many thanks in advance,
Victor
Old 21st October 2016, 12:43

I will create in fact a new post, because I have started to discover more about the ship.