Zapata/Offshore Marine - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
20:33

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Zapata/Offshore Marine

User Tag List

Old 7th October 2015, 18:34
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1960 - 2007

David Grief is still going strong here in Great Yarmouth. He is involved with the local lifeboat and can be seen propping up the bar at lunchtime in the Cliff Hotel.
He sailed with me as Mate on numerous occasions,always professional and good company too.
Old 7th October 2015, 22:21
Department: Navigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt 1944 View Post
David Grief is still going strong here in Great Yarmouth. He is involved with the local lifeboat and can be seen propping up the bar at lunchtime in the Cliff Hotel.
He sailed with me as Mate on numerous occasions,always professional and good company too.
It's god to hear that David is enjoying life in Great Yarmouth. I think we sailed together on Tropic Shore before I left to take Ocean Shore to Newfoundland. I was reminded of him recently when I found I had a temporary hearing loss due to ear wax because he had the same problem on Tropic Shore and drove us all crackers by listening to the mess room tv at full volume. It all seems a long time ago!

Regards

Howard Anguish
Old 8th October 2015, 17:58
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1965

Anguish and Grief. I remember you guys well. Any idea what happened to Capt. Chris Chipchase. He was what they call here in the states a "Cool Dude"
Old 16th October 2015, 14:38
Department: Deck

hi tony i also was on navigator with big six jack hurd blue rapley and bob parkes i was working pumps at the time for heman bruebaker rgards alan the pom
Old 8th November 2015, 14:10

Viking Service 1984 Cape Town

Attached photo shows Brian Bradshaw, Dave Blackhall, & Angus McClean on-board Viking Service in Cape Town in 1984. We went to drydock there, and stayed for three months waiting on spot work. The only job we had was for a few hours, which we were going to drag out for a few days, until we realized that we had some free tickets for a big rugby match if we got back in on time.
Old 8th November 2015, 14:29

Viking Service attachment

hopefully with attachment!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Viking Service 1984 Cape Town.JPG (71.8 KB, 117 views)
Old 8th November 2015, 14:42

Zapata, odds & ends of photos attached

some photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Columbia Service after battle with landing craft.JPG (93.0 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg Courier Service at Point Noire.jpg (100.0 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg Oil Service.jpg (111.9 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg onboard Titan Service .JPG (76.9 KB, 142 views)
Old 8th November 2015, 14:47

Zapata, couple more photos

couple more photos
Rgds
Tim Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lagos Seahorse Dry Docking Snake Island.JPG (115.6 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg Victory Service off Point Noire.jpg (118.4 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg Zapata Malongo Angola.jpg (98.2 KB, 136 views)
Old 23rd February 2016, 22:42
Active: 1961 - 2009

Hi Alan,
Sorry ,Can't get a mental picture of you. But then at my age that is not unusual.
I recall the Navigator with fond memories there was a good mob on her. Though I did have a couple of arguments with the Smit Loyd Dutch Skippers, and one with Six.
One clear memory was watching the poor bug---- on the drillfloor when doing a trip with the wind from aft. as the load came on those old Alco generators the whole drillfloor disappeared in a cloud of black exhaust smoke.
Another memory was the ghosts where the ships engineers had their desk. It was where the refrigerator hold used to be when she was bringing back dead troops from Korea.
Cheers Al,
Tony
Old 17th March 2016, 20:19

Some more photos

The following photos taken in Malongo about 1984: Express Service with
Michelle Collard steering, Angus McLean and Tony Laity on deck.
Mooring Service.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mooring Service.JPG (95.5 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Express Service.JPG (102.9 KB, 64 views)
Old 17th March 2016, 20:24

photos Warri

Photos: Adriatic Seahorse and Cape Service about 1986 in Warri
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Adriatic Seahorse stern.JPG (91.0 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Adriatic Seahorse.JPG (88.1 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Cape Service.JPG (72.5 KB, 52 views)
Old 25th March 2016, 19:40

Malongo early eighties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Mark View Post
The following photos taken in Malongo about 1984: Express Service with
Michelle Collard steering, Angus McLean and Tony Laity on deck.
Mooring Service.
I rmember a few of these faces you've posted, Mark. Angus and me joined Zapata in 81 and spent a few years in Malongo on various bits of scrap: Samson, Petro, Tropic Services before the new boats arrived - Point, Coastal etc. Eventually ended up running the Cabinda Seahorse for a few years with the Mooring Masters - Steve Walsh was a regular Engineer there with me. Life was a lot simpler then - fishing was good too!
Old 27th March 2016, 18:21
Active: 1957 - 1965

I was port engineer for seahorse. Went to Cologne for a Deutz course and then Holland for the trials on the Cabinda Seahorse. I believe that Tidewater changed the engines out for Caterpillars eventually.
Old 31st March 2016, 19:49

A few more shots

Mariner Service at Western Polaris II about 1986
Catching dinner on Columbia Service off Pointe Noire July 1985.
Malaysian Moon transiting the Delta Steel Bridge at Warri. This often became an issue as at higher tides the telephone and power cables were ripped off from under the bridge, and at lower tides the vessel would go aground. The situation could often be aggravated if the crew were in an over refreshed condition!
GF58 run up the beach in the Warri river for a bit of in between tides bow thrust maintenance. We had the prop off, and carried out a gear drive inspection in record time. I suppose it wouldn't be allowed in the new safety culture mode.
Old 31st March 2016, 20:09

Dogger and others

Dogger Service (Shore) as Dubai Star at Marine Gate jetty off Warri Sapele Road. There's another weather class inboard from Dogger. I've forgotten the names off the other boats astern of it, but look like the ex Saxon, Thor, Viking class under new colours (middle eastern Murbarak, will remember later).
Also attached Calabar Seahorse at NBTC Warri.
Venture Service offshore Nigeria.
Pacific Service (Shore) in Abidjan I think it was 1983. Vaguely recall that it had six rudders, which made it difficult to steer if fully hard over? I suppose somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Calabar Seahorse @NBTC Warri Nigeria.JPG (108.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Dogger as Dubai Star.JPG (71.5 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Pacific Service in Abidjan 1983.JPG (115.2 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Venture Service West Africa.JPG (110.2 KB, 60 views)
Old 31st March 2016, 20:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed withers View Post
I rmember a few of these faces you've posted, Mark. Angus and me joined Zapata in 81 and spent a few years in Malongo on various bits of scrap: Samson, Petro, Tropic Services before the new boats arrived - Point, Coastal etc. Eventually ended up running the Cabinda Seahorse for a few years with the Mooring Masters - Steve Walsh was a regular Engineer there with me. Life was a lot simpler then - fishing was good too!
I recall the chartering boss and his wife going on the Sunday fishing trip, and the specific request to the office on the following Monday that the captain wear underpants beneath his shorts. I believe she saw too much scenery when looking up from the main-deck to the aft bridge control area!
Old 1st April 2016, 21:07
Active: 1979 - 1998

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed withers View Post
I rmember a few of these faces you've posted, Mark. Angus and me joined Zapata in 81 and spent a few years in Malongo on various bits of scrap.
Hi Ed,
I knew Angus (through my brother) when he was in Ocean Fleets (Blue Flue). I remember well when he visited once and regaled us with tales of having been assigned to a vessel with no engines for a good number of months in Angola. He stacked up his cash living in a hotel and was able to buy a house when he got back!
Rgds.
Dave
Old 6th April 2016, 10:54

Great to see the old pics. How did some of them pass a survey? Good memories, lots of laughs and moderate social drinking!
Old 17th July 2016, 01:18
Active: 1962 - 1970

Hi there. I bought my first laptop for my 75TH birthday and found this site. I had just left the British merchant navy after nine years, Thought I would try the new North Sea oil industry joined the CENTURIAN SERVICE in Yarmouth in jan.1971. Did one short trip then went to DRYPOOL SHIPYARD IN HULL to collect the PARAMOUNT SERVICE. Over the next two years I sailed as Chief Engineer on her and sister ships MONARCH ,IMPERIAL and MAJESTIC SERVICE
sailing out of ABERDEEN in SCOTLAND. After two years the fleet was increasing
and I became Port Engineer. The new vessels that had arrived were the THOR,SAXON.and VICTORY SERVICE. They were followed by the BAFFIN AND HUDSON SERVICE from Canada. I sailed on both of these vessels as Chief Eng
as required. IN 1977 I was sent over to Papenburg in Germany to collect new vessels being built, the REGAL then went back for the ROYAL Service . I heard that Tidewater was taking over ZAPATA so I decided to have a change. I then joined the STAR Canopus, which worked as a pipe hauler on the brent field pipeline along with the Regal and Royal Service. They were all specially built for that project.

When that finished the STAR CANOPUS went to ROTTERDAM for conversion to a Diving support vessel. Stayed with her for two years the joined the rigs Sedco
for 22 years,Two weeks on and two weeks off. I enjoyed my time with ZAPATA in Aberdeen as that was my home town. One of my Managers was Geoff Guest who I have seen also mentioned in a previous posting. regards George Mitchell
Old 20th July 2016, 15:21

A picture of the Canopus in around 82 as the Sub Sea Canopus
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sub-sea-Canopus-.jpg (171.4 KB, 36 views)
Old 17th August 2016, 21:15

some more photos

Saxon Service at Boss Congo Pointe Noire
Eket Service (must have been burning coal)!!
Ocean Service offshore Nigeria (Still going as Java Imperia in Indonesia)
Bay Service in Warri
Rgds
Tim Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Saxon Service at Boss Congo PN.JPG (72.2 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Ocean Service.JPG (82.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Eket Service.JPG (124.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Bay Service.JPG (75.4 KB, 44 views)
Old 3rd May 2017, 18:56

Capt Mark Pridie

photo of myself and the late Captain Mark Pridie. We were in Dubai and Mark suggested flying at the weekend. Knowing that he was involved in boat and plane building and looking at various aeroplane photos on his cabin wall, it appeared to be a great idea. Later at Ajman with an aeroplane that looked like a microlite and hence not suitable for those not less than skinny..... we took off across a compacted sand runway. It was brilliant up until the point when Mark spotted some hammer head sharks and decided to dive bomb them (which I believe was quite unnecessary, considering how the wings only appeared to be attached by some sort of glue)!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tim Mark Captain Mark Pridie.JPG (107.4 KB, 55 views)
Old 6th May 2017, 18:19

Tidewater vsls Abidjan Ivory Coats year 2000

Tidewater layup vsls in Abidjan in year 2000
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tidewater layup fleet year 2000 in Abidjan.jpg (125.6 KB, 52 views)
Old 7th May 2017, 09:49

My location
Mark Priddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Mark View Post
photo of myself and the late Captain Mark Pridie. We were in Dubai and Mark suggested flying at the weekend. Knowing that he was involved in boat and plane building and looking at various aeroplane photos on his cabin wall, it appeared to be a great idea. Later at Ajman with an aeroplane that looked like a microlite and hence not suitable for those not less than skinny..... we took off across a compacted sand runway. It was brilliant up until the point when Mark spotted some hammer head sharks and decided to dive bomb them (which I believe was quite unnecessary, considering how the wings only appeared to be attached by some sort of glue)!!!
I am sad to read that Mark Priddie has cross the bar. I sailed with him in 1983 on Dominion Service - he was one of the best.
Old 13th September 2017, 05:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpitcher View Post
Ch Mate on Viking Shore, Skipper on North Shore, Fastnet Shore, Orkney Shore, Paramount Service.

Who is Howardang? We must have been together in Pauillac - I saw your post mentioning your year on the Gironde with Fastnet Shore & Cromarty Shore - I was skipper on Fastnet for the rig move out of there to Gijon, Spain (it was my first rigmove)
Yes I was the skipper on the Fastnet for the rigmove from Pauillac to Gijon. I left the Fastnet in Gijon and next took the Orkney to Labrador towing icebergs