Hungry Ships - Ships Nostalgia
13:11

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Hungry Ships

User Tag List

Old 3rd January 2009, 03:10

Hungry Ships

Most of my ships were tramps. I did sail on a few tankers & coasters but tramps were my favourites. Some of them were hungry but the hungriest was SS Carlton owned by Chapman & Willen of Newcastle. I could tell a few stories about that trip.

Arthur Jenner

Last edited by Arthur Jenner; 3rd January 2009 at 03:11.. Reason: word missed out
Old 3rd January 2009, 03:37
Spongebob
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1961

Welcome to the site Arthur and let us have those stories about that ship.
we all have stories to tell and the narration by others often prompts the memory banks and produces a good thread.

Bob
Old 3rd January 2009, 07:08

Arthur, I, and I am sure many other members, will be delighted to learn about you and you experiences. Many of the ships that are refered to as tramps have gone into history. It is what you, Arthur, and our members remember and record are important. There are so many events that have not been reported resulting in all losing history.
Jim B
Old 3rd January 2009, 08:49

warm welcome from Thailand Arthur, glad to have you onboard, I agree with Bob & Jim,,, a lot of people nowadays would not understand what Tramp Ships were, I myself worked onboard a few Norwegian trampers.

Enjoy the site mate

Kevin
Old 3rd January 2009, 10:45
Super Moderator
Active: 1952 - 1965

We are all awaiting your stories Arthur, whats the hold up.
Old 3rd January 2009, 10:49
Forever a Seaman
Department: Navigation
Active: 1956 - 1973

My location
Welcome to the site Arthur and many, many thanks for your account of my voyage as a seven year old on the old Fort Glenora.
Old 3rd January 2009, 13:33

Fort Glenora

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Briggs View Post
Welcome to the site Arthur and many, many thanks for your account of my voyage as a seven year old on the old Fort Glenora.
Surprise surprise!
Here we are again. You are the only person that I ever sailed with that I have been in contact with. Nice to meet you again.
Old 3rd January 2009, 13:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by R58484956 View Post
We are all awaiting your stories Arthur, whats the hold up.
Just keeping you in suspense. I did post a story somewhere about the SS Carlton
Old 3rd January 2009, 21:13
Nursie

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Jenner View Post
Just keeping you in suspense. I did post a story somewhere about the SS Carlton
For those that are interested, the thread is called The Bosun and the deck boy and can be found in the 'Tramp Ship' section.
Old 16th January 2009, 01:19

arthur jenner " carlton"

hi arthur, i done a trip in the " carlton" in sep 59 to jan 60 went to, africa, then across to buenos aries, argentine, i was s.o.s done 4 on 4 off the whole trip, i think i was the only one from liverpool, joined her in cammel lairds dry dock, what a trip, black cook, loved his brandy, some glasgow lads, one had his faced glassed in buenos , what trip, lucky to do 8 knots, was u there, what a shock comming from the blue funnel line hahaha, but wanted to see other parts of the world, frank hughes
Old 16th January 2009, 07:17

athur ???

when where u in the carlton, i was s.o.s in her,
Old 5th July 2009, 21:52

Hungry Ships

I too was on the Carlton and the Demeterton , and the grub was of the best , nicely cooked and very well presented, I was Chief Cook, seriously I must admit it could have been a lot better given a better budget, but the beer was excellent,kept it in the fridges, there was plenty spare room in there. After paying off Demeterton had to wait over a week for my pay off money from Newcastle .

Last edited by william.marshall439; 5th July 2009 at 22:09.. Reason: second thoughts
Old 5th July 2009, 22:20
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by william.marshall439 View Post
I too was on the Carlton and the Demeterton
Saw the Dmemterton launched from Readhead's yard at South Shields. She was the last ship that I worked on (as very junior helper) before moving from South Shields to Chelmsford. The radio installation was done by Sid Burnett who fitted most of the Marconi-equipped ships that came out of Readheads. Earlier this year he was still alive, in a nursing home and well into his nineties.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 6th July 2009, 03:53

w marshall

hi u should have been in the carlton, then, we had a black cook, was it u, ??? as soon as we hit port he was on the brandy, he could not cook for ??? as they say, " who called the cook a c, who called the c a cook," but stll enjoyed my trip in her, all of 7 knots with the wind and sea behind us, when in B/A, had to wait for the tide to take us up to Roserio, even comming into Avonmouth, just as well we had a tug, frank
Old 27th July 2009, 22:40

I sailed on the old DEMETERTON Liberty ship built in 1944 from May 1958 till July 1959. The best trip that I had in the 5 years I was at sea. Joined it at Dagenham dock,

We had a cook from Ceylon and the 2nd cook was a Liverpool piss head (Freddie Sumner). The cook never went ashore all trip but the rest of the catering staff (2nd cook, A/S and myself Cabin Boy did and had a great time in the States, South America Japan, Canada back to the States then back down to South America again.

As far I can remember the grub was ok. It must have been as we were away for 14 months and I was still alive to pay off. 6 of those months we were without a Chief Steward. It beats those British Tankers trips anyday.

Happy sailing.
Jim
Old 28th July 2009, 09:35

My location
Hungry Ships

My experience of Chapmans was in the Nurtureton in the 50's.
I have posted my story in the thread 'What was the worst ship you sailed on', post #18. The memory of that voyage will live with me forever!

Taffy R556959
Old 28th July 2009, 14:22
Active: 1936 - 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim morris View Post
I sailed on the old DEMETERTON Liberty ship built in 1944 from May 1958 till July 1959. The best trip that I had in the 5 years I was at sea. Joined it at Dagenham dock,

We had a cook from Ceylon and the 2nd cook was a Liverpool piss head (Freddie Sumner). The cook never went ashore all trip but the rest of the catering staff (2nd cook, A/S and myself Cabin Boy did and had a great time in the States, South America Japan, Canada back to the States then back down to South America again.

As far I can remember the grub was ok. It must have been as we were away for 14 months and I was still alive to pay off. 6 of those months we were without a Chief Steward. It beats those British Tankers trips anyday.

Happy sailing.
Jim
Jim -
Demeterton was not a Liberty ship she was a British Standard WW2 type built at Burntisland.
She was sold in 1964 renamed Jayshree -Hong Kong flag.
!965 sold and renamed Freedom Venture -Hong Kong flag.
1971 broken up in Taiwan.
Regards
Stan
Old 3rd August 2009, 22:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan mayes View Post
Jim -
Demeterton was not a Liberty ship she was a British Standard WW2 type built at Burntisland.
She was sold in 1964 renamed Jayshree -Hong Kong flag.
!965 sold and renamed Freedom Venture -Hong Kong flag.
1971 broken up in Taiwan.
Regards
Stan
Thanks for that info Stan, I was only a lowly cabin boy so was not into the technical side of ships but was always under the impression that it was built in the states in 1944. I stand corrected. Nice to know what her fate was.
All the best.
Jim
Old 26th March 2013, 20:28
Active: 1967 - 1975

Hi. I sailed on both the MV Demeterton & the MV Carlton in the 1960s my first ship the Demeterton as a junior engineer joined in january 1967 in Amsterdam & had the unforturnate accident of walking off the street into one of the canels & it was bloody freezing at the time.got a lift back to the ship in a convicts outfit by favour of the Amsterdam police ,boy did I look a sight for the crew.--happy day,s all gone now -but happy the the Demeterton is still going strong although not as pretty now.
Old 12th May 2013, 11:34
Active: 1964 - 1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by john powles View Post
Hi. I sailed on both the MV Demeterton & the MV Carlton in the 1960s my first ship the Demeterton as a junior engineer joined in january 1967 in Amsterdam & had the unforturnate accident of walking off the street into one of the canels & it was bloody freezing at the time.got a lift back to the ship in a convicts outfit by favour of the Amsterdam police ,boy did I look a sight for the crew.--happy day,s all gone now -but happy the the Demeterton is still going strong although not as pretty now.
I joined the 'Demeterton' as R/O in Amsterdam in jan 1968. The R/O before me had some sort of skin complaint (his nickname was "The Plant")....The captain was Williams??? and 2nd mate was Bamber?(the apprentices nicknamed him "The Bishop") a real dour character and an engineer who'd played rugby for Hartlepool; a fitness fanatic. There was also the 'randiest' apprentice I'd ever come across; he looked and acted like Mick Jagger but he could certainly 'pull' the girls...

There was a rule that when buying cases of beer (Tennants) every can with a picture of "Ann?? boating on Loch Lomond" was deemed a 'clit can' and was put into a communal collection and drunk by all (I once had a case with almost half as 'clit cans': an expensive case)

She was possibly the worst feeder I'd ever been on. The fat and gristle from sunday's roast was served as a curry on monday and several day's potatoes were usually peeled in one go and left in buckets on deck where they seemed to dry out (I remember chips being as brown inside as out)
Old 12th May 2013, 12:09
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

As an agency clerk on the Tees in the 1960's/early 70's we heard lots of stories about hungry ships..including the Hungry Hogarths, where, in fact, I never had a bad meal.

I was at a pay-off sign on once and a new Chief Steward came aboard and was delighted to be there ' he joined the company as they had more to spend per man than his previous owners (unknown) '....that figure was 3s 4d per man/day and the company was J.J. Denholm.....

geoff
Old 12th May 2013, 12:26
Catering 1958 - 2007
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1958 - 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by expats View Post
I joined the 'Demeterton' as R/O in Amsterdam in jan 1968. The R/O before me had some sort of skin complaint (his nickname was "The Plant")....The captain was Williams??? and 2nd mate was Bamber?(the apprentices nicknamed him "The Bishop") a real dour character and an engineer who'd played rugby for Hartlepool; a fitness fanatic. There was also the 'randiest' apprentice I'd ever come across; he looked and acted like Mick Jagger but he could certainly 'pull' the girls...

There was a rule that when buying cases of beer (Tennants) every can with a picture of "Ann?? boating on Loch Lomond" was deemed a 'clit can' and was put into a communal collection and drunk by all (I once had a case with almost half as 'clit cans': an expensive case)

She was possibly the worst feeder I'd ever been on. The fat and gristle from sunday's roast was served as a curry on monday and several day's potatoes were usually peeled in one go and left in buckets on deck where they seemed to dry out (I remember chips being as brown inside as out)
was the 2nd/Mate name Antoine Bamber, bit of a religious man, he was with Oregon SS for many years.
Ray
Old 12th May 2013, 12:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burned Toast View Post
was the 2nd/Mate name Antoine Bamber, bit of a religious man, he was with Oregon SS for many years.
Ray
I'm not sure of his first name but he was religious . In any conversation he'd reply to what had been said several minutes before; rather off-putting.
Old 12th May 2013, 16:31
Active: 1967 - 1975

The" D"

Quote:
Originally Posted by expats View Post

Hi. I was on the Demeterton in '68 & I remember the clic cans you mentioned The chief steward used to put the clic cans together in some of the cases- if you complained about the food & ,when you bought a case of beer {tennants} he made sure you got the ones with several clic cans in. the engineer you were on about was mic timlin commonly called thunderballs a tallish lad very fair hair ,I made him a 21 birthday Key of the door out of brass down in the engine room it was about 8" long & polished up nice & brite I wonder if he still has it took me a while to make it.the apprentice you mentioned I remember him to he did have a way with the girls & yes he was skinny ate like a horse & never put on a ounce of weight Captain Williams was a bit of a con man to we caught him switching pre-recorded cassette tapes with ones that he had copied off. the second engineer was John Mchann a tall Irishman the chief engineer was Allan Gilan from Sunderland ,the have both deceased now .
Old 13th May 2013, 08:31

John, I'm trying to 'put a face' to your name....

As I remember it we did a US/Ocean Island/China/Aussie/Durban/Boulogne run?
In Dalian I was called into a Red Guard comittee (my previous ship had been on a regular run to Leningrad and my discharge book was full of CCCP stamps) to describe life in Russia....I told them what I thought they wanted to hear and they stood and applauded me...
In Dalian there was another British Ship and we all went over in 'fancy dress' . I went as a cowboy; an engineer (maybe you?) nailed two bits of dunnage together, wore a sack, and went as 'Jesus' and the two apprentices pinched a pair of "Big Fat Gus's " long Johns and went as Siamese twins (God knows what the Chinese thought of us) to a party on board her. If memory serves, the C/Eng came back after midnight and was in 'deep ****' with the Red Guards...

Happy Days!