Willie Duff Chief Engineer - Ships Nostalgia
04:29

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Willie Duff Chief Engineer

User Tag List

Old 23rd September 2011, 19:27
Jim S Jim S is offline   SN Supporter

Willie Duff Chief Engineer

I have just heard that Willie Duff died on Wednesday 21st September 2011. An engineer with Fyffes in the 1960's - until I lost track of him in the 1980's when he was C/E on the M-Class motorships.

Willie would have been about 80 years of age and came from Wallasey
Old 30th September 2011, 16:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
I have just heard that Willie Duff died on Wednesday 21st September 2011. An engineer with Fyffes in the 1960's - until I lost track of him in the 1980's when he was C/E on the M-Class motorships.

Willie would have been about 80 years of age and came from Wallasey
Sorry to hear of the passing of Willie Duff (Plum) sailed with him when he was 2nd on the Golfito and Frank Meredith was Chief .
Willie was a fine Officer and Gentleman,and aGood Engineer.

harry Campbell
Old 31st October 2012, 18:57

sorry to hear about willie,ill let my dad know,as he always spoke highly of him.
Old 10th January 2013, 19:07
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc1939 View Post
Sorry to hear of the passing of Willie Duff (Plum) sailed with him when he was 2nd on the Golfito and Frank Meredith was Chief .
Willie was a fine Officer and Gentleman,and aGood Engineer.

harry Campbell
Always sad to hear of a former shipmate passing. I sailed on the old Matina, (the old Scottish built steamship, not the Japanese built motorship) with him. He as 2nd Eng while was Deck Apprentice.

Tony Galt
Old 31st January 2013, 17:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Galt View Post
Always sad to hear of a former shipmate passing. I sailed on the old Matina, (the old Scottish built steamship, not the Japanese built motorship) with him. He as 2nd Eng while was Deck Apprentice.

Tony Galt
I agree Tony, Willie was a good shipmate, I sailed with him, on the Matina when he was sailing as 2nd eng. If I recall correctly, John Gay was Ch.eng.
Old 31st January 2013, 19:03
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1982

AJ. I made only one six month trip on the Chatty Matty. In fact it was her last commercial voyage. After that voyage she was tied up in Southampton with a tarp over her funnel until she went to scrap. On that last commercial voyage Bill (Bull) Young was Master, Noddy Thomas was Mate, Hughey King was the 'Lecky and I think that it was Peter Parry who was the Chief. It was a long time ago so I may be mistaken about the Chief.
Old 20th September 2015, 14:51
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - 1977

Harry, how nice to hear your name again, takes me back to when we were on 'Motagua' and had a spot of bother, I was first trip cadet together with John Hooke, Elec was Bob Robinson, 3rd Harry Parkinson....... what a trip..... thanks for looking after us, and hope you are well

Steve Townend
Old 8th May 2017, 14:48
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 1964

Real nice guy who not only put up with me but, as his junior on the 4-8, introduced me to the custom of a rum or two before breakfast.