Port Alfred - Ships Nostalgia
21:23

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Port Alfred

User Tag List

Old 27th August 2005, 18:09

Port Alfred

Port Line’s PORT ALFRED seen in London.
Photo not dated
Built 1961
10487 grt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg port alfred.jpg (96.5 KB, 627 views)
Old 27th August 2005, 19:02
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1964 - 1997

My location
One of H&W finest. Yard number 1630 Launched 8th September 1960 delivered 1st March 1961, 9044 tons. Sister was Port St Lawrence yard no 1631 launched 31st May 1961 delivered 20th October 1961, 9040 tons.
Old 28th August 2005, 05:02

My location
A lovely shot of a classic Port Line ship.
In 1978, she was transferred to Cunard-Brocklebank and renamed MASIRAH. In 1982, she was laid up in Piraeus and sold in the middle of that year, becoming MASIR. She remained laid up in Piraeus until March 1986, when she sailed for Rotterdam to load for the Philippines. After discharging there, she went to Siracha, near Bangkok to be broken up, arriving there on 24 July 1986.
Old 28th August 2005, 13:42

Brilliant thing this internet. I never accociated PORT ALFRED with MASIRAH.
Old 28th September 2005, 20:25

Port Alfred

I had the good fortune to join this ship in Tokyo in Dec 1969 when she was chartered to the Crusader Shipping Line although we were all Port boat men. We had to endure(!!) sailing between Japan and New Zealand, 2 weeks on passage each way and 1 month on each coast. So So sorry to leave her after 9 glorious months, she will always be my favorite Port boat. Have a number of photos of her and other Port boats but no scanner, sorry.
Old 30th September 2005, 20:02

A good ship allround,sailed in her from Liverpool toCanada/USA thence Australia/NZ back to N.America back to Australasia then NZ to Japan with what was then an
unual consignment of chilled onions to Japan. Happy days back in 1967/8.

Doug
Old 2nd August 2006, 12:02
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1971 - 1981

My location
P Alfred's round the world cruise!

Joined her in Barry drydock in '73 - sailed to Buenos Aires, loaded sugar for Basra (Iraq) then down to N Zealand for apples & butter. Up to Pitcairn (stores drop) the Philadelphia and Glasgow! What a trip. Capt was MHC Twomey RD RNR.
Good ship - great atmosphere, rubbish radio equipment!
Old 2nd August 2006, 12:38

Port Alfred

A nice picture of her at the start of her career, not long out of the shipbuilders yard.

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Port Alfred.jpg (105.6 KB, 403 views)
Old 3rd August 2006, 11:57

My location
Port Alfred

Ron

Good photo of her..... brings back memories. Thanks.

Pete
Old 3rd August 2006, 13:39

Port Alfred.

My last ship in Port Line before coming out to Australia in 1967 - joined her in Montreal April 20th 1966 as Third Mate, left her in Liverpool June 10th 1967. She was a very nice ship - last saw her in Bass Strait in the early 1980s as "Masirah" bound from NZ to Portland, Victoria for bunkers, then on to the Black Sea with, I think I was told, frozen mutton and general. It was the Master with whom I spoke on VHF - he told me I'd have been mightily unimpressed with her condition that day!!

That was some trip you did, Pete - with Captain Michael Howard Cripps Twomey!! Only coasted with him once but I was somehow impressed with his christian names - don't know why but they've stuck with me!!

-------------
Mike.
Old 4th August 2006, 14:45

My location
Mhct

Mike

Had the pleasure of sailing with MHCT on ACT2 & ACT6 as well! Guess he and I were fated to sail together. was good that we got on I guess....Hmmmmm, Hmmmm

Cheers
Old 23rd October 2006, 08:18

I was a first trip Cadet on the Port Alfred along with 5 others. Dave Knight was one and I forget the rest. Frank Beer was the Mate who hated me until I did a week of watch keeping woth him, then he told me he really liked me. Then he told me he wanted me! Mmmmmmmm
We ran from Liverpool to South Africa and picked up three female stowaways in Capetown. They put on 'a show' in the Crew Bar every night, and on one occasion I was invited to join in .

And I thought every trip was going to be like that!
Old 29th October 2006, 20:25

Great looking ship , typical of those lovely times - BUT have any of youse jokers ever actually been to Port Alfred after which this esteemed vessel was named?
Old 31st October 2006, 09:18

I was ordinary seaman on the Port Brisbane with Capt Toomey in 1972 my favorite Port Boat.Also did a run job on the Alfred. Fantastic ships.
Old 31st October 2006, 13:11

My location
Hi Chris

Would that be the one off the St. Lawrence River. Canada With the aluminum smelter if it is. From what you guys are saying the ship was better than the Port. I expect it's changed I was there in 1965. The Port that is we know the ship has gone.

Last edited by PollY Anna; 31st October 2006 at 13:13.. Reason: more to say
Old 31st October 2006, 18:30

no the run we did was just around the coast of the uk.I see you have a messsage about the Elmina Palm I was on her when we had a collision in the English Channel and got back to Breman where she was put into dry dock for major repairs.
Old 10th August 2008, 00:45

MY first trip Deck Boy 68--69,9months Japan----NZ
Old 10th August 2008, 02:14

My location
Two years before you get an answer Chris but yes I have been to Port Alfred. Up the Saguenay River to the paper mill to load newsprint in 1964.
That place had the most polluted water in the harbour I have ever smelt but the golf course was good.............
Old 23rd September 2008, 22:22

Thumbs up Port Alfred - Masirah

Sailed on PA when she was just converted to Masirsh. Perhaps not the best run - Brazil to Iraq with chicken and prawns.
However we lived in luxury - worked like hell and had probably the best times ever on the Brazilian coast. Typically Recife, Santos, Porto Alegre and top off in Rio with Itajai for the prawns. Some times we had some coffee in open stow but mostly frozen.
Freezer was Noxious - anyone remember him. All work done in the Shat Al Arab when discharging - main units, generator overhauls, winch repairs etc - everything completed in Irag typically in the river within Basra.Then on Brazilian coast it was a simple case of keeping the cargo watches going and everyone ashore on benders.Brlliant time and huge competition to win the black shield ???
Needless to say we had visitations from the beancounters and plan was to go single manned watches with dubious back up of a jury rigged alarm system. Fought it all the way but the guys basically gave in and took the easy way out and went home.
Characters I wil never forget - Wllie Horsley Junior second and Twiggy - could keeep an Allen T40 humming just by looking at it.
Went back a second time and the decay was well set in by that time. A crime really as the main machinery would have run for ever with bog standard care and attention.

Side rod counterweights were showing some signs of cracking by this time as well but they could be easily forge welded but they would not spend the money
where are they now these beancounters and what did they prove by selling our heritage.
Rgds
Uisdean
Old 23rd September 2008, 22:40

My location
does anyone recall Captains Sinclair and Vic Hunt formerly of the Alfred?

also Cheng "Percy" Pike?
Old 24th September 2008, 09:32

Port Alfred

Port Alfred was my first ship, after joining her at Harland & Wolff Belfast and I sailed on her for over two years. I was aboard when she went to her name port in Canada and we were invited to a function to celebrate this. I never understood a word because the whole thing was conducted in French but the food and drink were good. Although the gate keeper at the PA docks did want to know why we were flying all the flags...he was told that some fool named the ship after this place.

Anyway, the Alfred was a good ship, as was her sister, Port St Lawrence but these days I expect ship owners would shudder when they consider the number of crew we had to keep the ships looking good.

Sadly, the Port Line is no longer with us but most of the male members of my family owe a lot to the Company that provided us with employment and training.

Now retired, after 40 years at sea, most of it with Swire Group's China Navigation Company and all I'm left with is memories.
Old 24th September 2008, 09:35

Yes I remember both those gentlemen...I sailed with them.
Old 24th September 2008, 13:56

I remember her passing us in the St Lawence river when i was on the RMS Carmania.We were homeward bound she was inward Bob
Old 25th September 2008, 08:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie2182 View Post
does anyone recall Captains Sinclair and Vic Hunt formerly of the Alfred?

also Cheng "Percy" Pike?

Sailed with both Vic and 'Percy' on the Nicholson, the 'St John, NB' trip! If anybody on here was on that trip, it would be great to hear from them!

When I paid off the Nich and had my leave, I joined the ACT2 and Vic was the skipper again!

Absolute gentlemen, both of them!
Just tell me old shipmates, I'm taking a trip mates
And I'll see them sometime on Fiddler's Green
Old 3rd October 2008, 20:16

Hi,
Nice to mention Paris, a great bloke,he and I had a few things in common - one was the total dislike of the 2nd eng - R W Jackson !! I first sailed with him on the Melbourne when he was a useless J2.The last I seen of Paris was in London at a party in Earls court 1968, when he was with a big blonde aussie- girl of course, called I think Jo. His commentary of a fictional horse race used to amaze me.
Anyway I'm off to Aussie next week for a month, and who knows I may bump into him, and maybe some other Port liners !!

Regards

Shorty