Mike Hawthorn - Ships Nostalgia
10:55

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Mike Hawthorn

User Tag List

Old 22nd January 2019, 15:46
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1968

My location
Mike Hawthorn

Died at the wheel of his Jaguar in a road accident 60 years ago today.
Britain's first F1 World Champion.
Old 22nd January 2019, 17:08

Mike Hawthorn - Bow tie - Diana Dors - A different era indeed - so fresh in the mind but so long ago.

Why do young men today so rarely bother to shave?
Old 22nd January 2019, 17:45
King Ratt

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Youde View Post
Mike Hawthorn - Bow tie - Diana Dors - A different era indeed - so fresh in the mind but so long ago.

Why do young men today so rarely bother to shave?
I reckon in this day and age for a job interview, it is compulsory to wear jeans, an open necked shirt and display one or more tattoos. That is only of course female job applicants.

Cheers

KR
Old 22nd January 2019, 18:36

Blazer and cavalry twills. Brown suede brogues. Viyella shirt. Cravat.

Crikey - when did anybody last wear a cravat?

Am I right in thinking that the last cravat disappeared with Senior Service cigarettes?
Old 22nd January 2019, 18:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Youde View Post
Blazer and cavalry twills. Brown suede brogues. Viyella shirt. Cravat.

Crikey - when did anybody last wear a cravat?

Am I right in thinking that the last cravat disappeared with Senior Service cigarettes?
I remember two HULL Trawlermen from the 1960s. One always wore a cravat, the other always wore a bow tie (while ashore of course).
Old 23rd January 2019, 17:30
Department: Navigation

Suede shoes. Suede shoes!

Which side did you bat for? My Dad gave me a sad serious talk when I bought some Suede shoes. I do have 2 children, though.
Old 23rd January 2019, 17:48

I also have two children and have only ever batted for the home side. I was a late starter in the progenital stakes, being three weeks short of fifty before my first offspring was born - and a lifetime of fun was had in practice beforehand!

Lotus brown suede brogues were some of the most comfortable I ever owned. Likewise Lotus chukka boots. Marks & Sparks brown suede chukka boots were far cheaper, but nothing like as good quality. I never did own a pair of co-respondent shoes (brown & white brogues as worn by Terry-Thomas and others) - but perhaps Hawthorn might have done. They were nowhere near so unusual, then. All of these might well have been called brothel creepers - as still worn by Ken Clarke MP.

Bow tie? Never - save only with a dinner jacket.

PS One advantage of brown suede shoes is that they need no polish - in direct contrast to black uniform shoes (without toecap!).

Last edited by Barrie Youde; 23rd January 2019 at 17:54..
Old 23rd January 2019, 18:20
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1968

My location
Mike Hawthorn wearing brown & white brogues? Never.
I'm with you and Ken Clarke Barrie, I like my suede shoes.
Whatever connotations some may make.
Old 23rd January 2019, 18:38
Department: Deck
Active: 1954 - 1967

Stylish Trawlermen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustWin View Post
I remember two HULL Trawlermen from the 1960s. One always wore a cravat, the other always wore a bow tie (while ashore of course).
Both before and after the war young trawlermen were noted for sartorial elegance. At one time powder blue suits with jackets plaited at the back were not uncommon. Footwear was often blue suede crepes. Large work-hardened hands protruding from cuffs indicated their calling.

Keith
Old 23rd January 2019, 18:50

Thank you, Al.

As to Hawthorn and co-respondent's shoes, you might of course be right. I merely cite the possibility as an illustration that Formula 1 motor racing (like most things) is driven by rather more than mechanical engineering or fat tyres or refined fuel (Tiger in the tank etc.). Who remembers "That's Shell, that was!!!!!"?

I once knew a woman who maintained that sex is the driving force of everything. Given that the survival of the human race depends upon progeniture, it has long been clear to me that she was not far wrong. The desire in me to procreate has existed for as long as I can remember (and well before puberty etc). My family background taught me that to procreate was the overwhelming driving force. The sheer delight in eventually having made a contribution to mankind is equalled only by the prospect, I hope, of grandchildren who have yet to put in an appearance. (My two daughters are still only 26 and 23.)

Motor racing. Drive. Sex-drive. Q.E.D.

Diana Dors? Cream-cake!

Last edited by Barrie Youde; 23rd January 2019 at 18:53..
Old 23rd January 2019, 18:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberdonian View Post
Both before and after the war young trawlermen were noted for sartorial elegance. At one time powder blue suits with jackets plaited at the back were not uncommon. Footwear was often blue suede crepes. Large work-hardened hands protruding from cuffs indicated their calling.

Keith
The one who wore the bow tie was a Scotsman. His name was John Cowie. He was drowned after falling off the aft gallas bar while working on it on the way to the fishing grounds. That was in the early 1970s aboard the Kingston Amber. His body was recovered.
Old 27th January 2019, 13:29

And that was the best advertising campaign ever but was it not for Esso?