Alexander Shields (Sandy) - Ships Nostalgia
14:04

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Alexander Shields (Sandy)

User Tag List

Old 5th April 2009, 11:54

Alexander Shields (Sandy)

Any body out there know my Dad who was Mechanic on Port Caroline ,Port Nicholson etc.etc.

Ian Shields(retired Chief Engineer)
Old 31st July 2015, 14:48

I sailed with your dad on the port Nicholson in the early 70,s I was a j.o.e.r. We did 3trips together I also did some rock dodging with sandy the last time I saw sandy was when he took over round for on the act 2 he still owes me for a carton of ciggies
Old 27th November 2015, 20:17
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - 2014

Ian - I sailed with your father my first trip to sea, I joined the Port Caroline in Lyttleton, September 1970. On that occasion, there was a crew change in New York, that was the last I heard of Sandy.
Old 27th November 2015, 22:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erbbie View Post
I sailed with your dad on the port Nicholson in the early 70,s I was a j.o.e.r. We did 3trips together I also did some rock dodging with sandy the last time I saw sandy was when he took over round for on the act 2 he still owes me for a carton of ciggies
Sorry about the fags, he used to take mine too, he's been gone now for 15 years but still miss him, thanks for the reply.
Kind Regards Ian

Last edited by ianian; 27th November 2015 at 22:48..
Old 27th November 2015, 22:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Collier View Post
Ian - I sailed with your father my first trip to sea, I joined the Port Caroline in Lyttleton, September 1970. On that occasion, there was a crew change in New York, that was the last I heard of Sandy.
Hope he behaved himself, hope he managed to impart some good engineering thoughts to you, as I said ,still miss him, all the best to you, I see you are now retired, like you , I was at sea for over 40 odd years , do I miss it , no , only my mates and the good times we all had, no fun now I am sure.

Kind Regards Ian
Old 29th November 2015, 13:21

Ian, thanks for the reply about your dad, he was some cookie, he could smell a can of beer out at a hundred yards with a gas mask on. he often talked about both of his sons with affection.are you the one that went to China navigation.