Stag Line - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
12:51

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Stag Line

User Tag List

Old 3rd July 2008, 16:12
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1970 - 1980

Stag Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmo View Post
Sailed in Stag Line 1961 to 1970 so think I was on most if not all the fleet during those years, went from Apprentice to Ch.Off so have many happy memories of hard times. Remember the "Coal Run", DOSCO overtime, we didn't do too badly! If I remember I spent most of my Apprentice time on the Cydonia. Bill SutherlandCh.Off. Davy Mustard 2/O, 3/O ? (Put ships in bottles) Jimmy (Sparks) Old Man Robbie, Hugh Shotton 2/E.
I retired in 1999 and would love to hear from anyone from around those times. Maurice Kennedy.

I joined Stag Line as apprentice in 1970 after you left. Sailed with some of the names you mention. I did a lot of trips on the Photinia when Bill Sutherland was Old Man. He was a real gentleman. Sailed many times with Jimmy Sams on the Zinnia. Was with Robbie Reekie his last trip. A sad trip as Willy Fallon the old third mate died in Paranagua. Like you I have many happy memories of the ships and crews. Peter Cowling.
Old 4th July 2008, 08:27
Department: Deck
Active: 1961 - 1999

My location
Stag Line

Thanks. "Aunty Mavis" was our name for 3/O, sorry to hear about Bill Sutherland, I was there when he fell down the hold in Montreal, made a remarkable recovery. Had just been in touch with Jimmy Sams when he died. Anyone heard from Derek Alder?
Old 4th July 2008, 10:03

My location
Stag Line

I was on the Camellia on the coal run when Bill Sutherland fell down the hold. Would visit him in hospital each time we docked in Montreal. Bill
Old 19th July 2008, 10:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdynia View Post
Looking for pictures from 1960 onwards

Gdynia

Hi I served on the Photinia for several years in the 60's as R/O including the cable laying runs to New Zealand and Trindad. I have a photo of the Photinia, and I think amongst my photos I have a photo of the Camellia in ice on the St Lawrence. I' ll try and find them when I get a chance. Sailed with Capt Freeman chief officer John Barker. Hugh Shotton served there for a while as well.
Ken

Last edited by Kaytee; 19th July 2008 at 10:39..
Old 19th July 2008, 10:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam2182sw View Post
hi i have one of the GLOXINIA docked in HULL when she was converted to a carle carrier and cable layer i will dig it out and post it on the site

SAM2182SW

Hi That was the Photinia, having just returned from NZ laying power cables across the Cook Strait, we loaded grain in Thevenard S Australia on the way home, after discharging the grain we loaded more cable in Manchester at BICC and went down to the Caribbean and laid cables between Trinidad and Tobago. I was Radio Officer
Ken

Last edited by Kaytee; 19th July 2008 at 10:51..
Old 26th July 2008, 12:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam2182sw View Post
hi i have one of the GLOXINIA docked in HULL when she was converted to a carle carrier and cable layer i will dig it out and post it on the site

SAM2182SW
hi
That was the Photinia we had laid power cables across the Cook Strait NZ and after Hull from Trinidad to Tobago, I was the R/O
Ken
Kaytee

Last edited by Kaytee; 26th July 2008 at 12:13.. Reason: forgot to sign
Old 19th August 2008, 20:02

Quote:
Sailed in Stag Line 1961 to 1970 so think I was on most if not all the fleet during those years, went from Apprentice to Ch.Off so have many happy memories of hard times. Remember the "Coal Run", DOSCO overtime, we didn't do too badly! If I remember I spent most of my Apprentice time on the Cydonia. Bill SutherlandCh.Off. Davy Mustard 2/O, 3/O ? (Put ships in bottles) Jimmy (Sparks) Old Man Robbie, Hugh Shotton 2/E.
I retired in 1999 and would love to hear from anyone from around those times. Maurice Kennedy.
Hi Maurice.I was a deck apprentice on the Gloxinia from 1965 to1968 and on
the Camellia later.Some of the apprentices with me you might know.Jim hunter
Ian Blower,Athol Hitcham,Jock Chalmers,Graham Robinson,Peter Rowlands.Bill
Sutherland was mate most of my time on Gloxinia.Ernie Lamb was 2nd mate,although I remember freeman was mate once.Jas Shaw was old man but
also hopper and Hunter(must have been relieving).My fondest memories are going up the "Lakes" all nighters going through the Welland Canal or cleaning
the holds out after unloading manganese.Hosing down on the way to Fort
William or Port Arthur. Dave Isley.
Old 19th August 2008, 20:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter3807 View Post

I joined Stag Line as apprentice in 1970 after you left. Sailed with some of the names you mention. I did a lot of trips on the Photinia when Bill Sutherland was Old Man. He was a real gentleman. Sailed many times with Jimmy Sams on the Zinnia. Was with Robbie Reekie his last trip. A sad trip as Willy Fallon the old third mate died in Paranagua. Like you I have many happy memories of the ships and crews. Peter Cowling.
I sailed with Willy Fallon once I think he was quite happy to stay as 3rd mate
I also sailed with Reekie on the Camellia in 1968, Boulogne to Detroit and back
to Avonmouth with wheat. I was sorry to hear about the death of Bill Sutherland,he was as you say,a gentelman
Old 20th August 2008, 11:56

Smile The Zinnia

My Father served on the Zinnia under Stag Line. He has a fantastic picture which he now uses as his desktop wallpaper. I'll endevour to get it and post it.
Old 17th October 2009, 12:58

i sailed on the CAMELLIAfrom 23/4/54 to 13/12/54 we were doing trips from NEW YORK to different ports in canady with cargoes of gypsum.i remember going fishing for cod in one canadian port we had fish and chips often.we loaded grain for the trip home and paid off IN LIVERPOOL.
Old 17th October 2009, 14:36

Gdynia wrote; "Im trying to build up a folder for my 7 year old son to show him his Daddys earlier sea going days...."

Here is the ZINNIA copyright Ian Pearson.
Very Best Wishes scorcher.

Last edited by scorcher; 28th July 2018 at 20:15..
Old 30th October 2009, 16:40
Active: 1972 - 2000

My location
I joined Stag Line as cadet in 1972 and my first ship was Gloxinia which I joined in Aviles to carry a cargo of fluorspar to Montreal and grain back from Great lakes to Glasgow. Joined with Willie Humble (Chief Steward). Captain was William Hunter and mate was Eddie Lamb. Was on Photinia as extra Second Mate in 1977 when the vessel repaired one of the Cook Strait power cables (Master was Hughie Selkirk, mate - Eddie Lamb, Second Mate - Brian Hildred, 3rd Mate Stevie Andrucci, Chief Engineer - Ray Edmonds).

Found out recently that Hughie Selkirk had died a couple of years ago.

Have lost touch with all ex Stag Line people.
Old 1st November 2009, 20:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hewett View Post
I joined Stag Line as cadet in 1972 and my first ship was Gloxinia which I joined in Aviles to carry a cargo of fluorspar to Montreal and grain back from Great lakes to Glasgow. Joined with Willie Humble (Chief Steward). Captain was William Hunter and mate was Eddie Lamb. Was on Photinia as extra Second Mate in 1977 when the vessel repaired one of the Cook Strait power cables (Master was Hughie Selkirk, mate - Eddie Lamb, Second Mate - Brian Hildred, 3rd Mate Stevie Andrucci, Chief Engineer - Ray Edmonds).

Found out recently that Hughie Selkirk had died a couple of years ago.

Have lost touch with all ex Stag Line people.
Hi John,

I did one short trip with you on the Ixia, Chris Dobson was the other Cadet. We loaded grain in Baltimore for Pireaus/Thessaloniki. I paid off in Thessaloniki. Larry Hopper was the old man and Kenny Campbell the mate.
Sailed with most of the above. Willy Hunter many trips as 2nd mate on the Zinnia, Eddie Lamb on the Photinia and Glox, Ray Edmonds on the Photinia. Don't think I sailed with Brian but bumped into him in Baltimore once when I was 2nd mate on the Zinnia, he was there on the Glox I think. We had a memorable session in Billys bar then on board the Zinnia.
Chris Dobson now Master offshore for a Norwegian company. Used to see him occasionaly but he now lives in Portugal.
Good to hear from you.

Peter
Old 11th November 2010, 08:08

Hi That was actually the Photinia at Hull we had just returned after a 10 month trip cable laying in the Cook Strait New Zealand. I was the radio officer, Ken
Old 13th January 2011, 21:52
Department: Engineering
Active: 1969 - 1969

Photina Picture

I just bought a picture of the "Photinia" from Ebay 2.00 +0.75p P&P. still others for sale inc. Cydonia.

Photinia was my 1st ship, only managed the year 1969 in the MN before I lost the sight in my eye. Punched in the eye outside of Danny's Bar, while J.E.

9 months later realised I was going blind in that eye, J.E. on the Silversea then, flown back from Tokyo, never at sea again.

My Dad, Ted Brown (Stephens Suttons) spent most of his working life at sea and this was my life ambition to follow him and join the MN.

Still turned out well met my wife in Eye Hospital, all a long time ago, memories and names.

Alan

Last edited by Alan Brown; 13th January 2011 at 22:08.. Reason: Add Cydonia to Ebay availability
Old 28th March 2011, 16:01

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone remembers my Grandfather Captain James Shaw? I believe that he sailed on or captained the Cydonia, Gloxinia, Zinnia and Ixia. I'm trying to find out some more information for my family history and put together some pictures of the ships for my fathers birthday as he has fond memories from when he was very young.
I would be thrilled and very greatful if anyone can help.
Caroline
Old 28th March 2011, 20:50
Department: Engineering
Active: 1969 - 1969

Hi Caroline
Sorry no memory myself, however there are pictures of all the ships you mentioned in the Gallery. Also there is a potted history book "Stag Line 1817 - 1982" available on Ebay but a better price on Amazon, also a print of the House Flag.
Good Luck and hunting... Alan
Old 29th March 2011, 11:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone remembers my Grandfather Captain James Shaw? I believe that he sailed on or captained the Cydonia, Gloxinia, Zinnia and Ixia. I'm trying to find out some more information for my family history and put together some pictures of the ships for my fathers birthday as he has fond memories from when he was very young.
Caroline
Caroline,

I only sailed with your father once, my second trip as cadet. On the Zinnia, New Orleans, Casablanca, Safi, Baltimore, Ghent then Tyne for Drydock. A highly respected and fine master. There should be some photos of the ships if you search the Gallery.

Peter
Old 30th March 2011, 20:42
Active: 1961 - 1999

My location
Capt Shaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
Caroline
At the age of nearly 21 in FEB 1961 I went to Stag Line office to be interviewd for an apprenticeship, being the age that I was it was most unusal for anyone that age to be taken on as such. Your Grandfather was the one who interview me,he must have been on leave and in the office. He explained all the akward points I would experience being older than most Apprentices and did his best to discourage me and in the end said go home and think about it. It didn't take me long to decide that the sea was for me and I joined the Gloxinina in Manchester at the end of February. The rest is history, I sailed with "Jas"quite a few times during my time with Stag Line, always called me an Irish yokel in the nicest possible way, he was a pleasure to sail with and had the respect of the crew at all times, maybe because he was a big man but I think it was because he was big hearted.
Old 31st March 2011, 18:29

Hello Caroline,
I sailed with your grandfather a good few times as deck apprentice on the Gloxinia,including my first trip.He was always a stickler for Sunday morning inspections and would not accept anything but the best.I fell foul of him a couple of times over inspection.He was a fair man and always listened to any grievence a crewman may have had.Because He was from Hartlepool and I was from Billingham,we sometimes went on leave on the same train.He was always polite when speaking to me informaly on the train without to much familiarity
Old 1st April 2011, 05:55
gdynia gdynia is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1970 - 2010

My location
i sailed with your grand father on his last trip i flew home with him from New York
Old 13th April 2011, 20:20

Captain James Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Brown View Post
Hi Caroline
Sorry no memory myself, however there are pictures of all the ships you mentioned in the Gallery. Also there is a potted history book "Stag Line 1817 - 1982" available on Ebay but a better price on Amazon, also a print of the House Flag.
Good Luck and hunting... Alan
Hi Alan,

Thank you so much for replying to my post and your advice on the book which I will be purchasing.
Best wishes,
Caroline
Old 13th April 2011, 21:58

Captain James Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter3807 View Post
Caroline,

I only sailed with your father once, my second trip as cadet. On the Zinnia, New Orleans, Casablanca, Safi, Baltimore, Ghent then Tyne for Drydock. A highly respected and fine master. There should be some photos of the ships if you search the Gallery.

Peter
Hi Peter,
Thank you so much for replying. It is so nice to hear about my grandfather. He died when I was very young, so I don't know much about him (apart from family memories), so it is a joy to hear about him from someone who sailed with him. I have had a look at the pictures and found good one's of each of the ships that he captained.
Thank you again for your memories.
Best wishes,

Caroline
Old 13th April 2011, 22:14

Quote:
At the age of nearly 21 in FEB 1961 I went to Stag Line office to be interviewd for an apprenticeship, being the age that I was it was most unusal for anyone that age to be taken on as such. Your Grandfather was the one who interview me,he must have been on leave and in the office. He explained all the akward points I would experience being older than most Apprentices and did his best to discourage me and in the end said go home and think about it. It didn't take me long to decide that the sea was for me and I joined the Gloxinina in Manchester at the end of February. The rest is history, I sailed with "Jas"quite a few times during my time with Stag Line, always called me an Irish yokel in the nicest possible way, he was a pleasure to sail with and had the respect of the crew at all times, maybe because he was a big man but I think it was because he was big hearted.
Hi Bigmo,
Wow! When i put my request on to this site, I never really expected to get any responses, so as you can imagine, I am delighted that you took the time to share your memories with me.
My grandfather died when I was very young, so I don't remember him well, but my Dad has always said that he was a big man, and my Mum always describes him as being a kind and fair man - a true gentleman. It is so lovely to hear those thoughts echoed in your response.
Thank you for telling me the story about you joining Stag Line and the part in which my Grandfather played. I never knew that he was called 'Jas'! I can't wait to share this with my father, who will be delighted that his father is remembered in such a positive way. My Grandfather also discouraged my father from going to sea as a career, much to my fathers disappointment, although my Dad now has his own yacht based on the West coast of Scotland! My brother is now a Lieutenant in the Royal Navy, so i suppose if the sea is in your blood - like you, you have to follow your calling! My Mum is looking for some pictures of him and I am hoping to upload whatever I can find on to this website.

Thank you again for your time, and your memories,
Best wishes,
Caroline
Old 13th April 2011, 22:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudu View Post
Hello Caroline,
I sailed with your grandfather a good few times as deck apprentice on the Gloxinia,including my first trip.He was always a stickler for Sunday morning inspections and would not accept anything but the best.I fell foul of him a couple of times over inspection.He was a fair man and always listened to any grievence a crewman may have had.Because He was from Hartlepool and I was from Billingham,we sometimes went on leave on the same train.He was always polite when speaking to me informaly on the train without to much familiarity
Hi Kudu,

Thank you for sharing your memories with me, they are so lovely to hear. I believe he was a very fair man, I'm just pleased that I wasn't around for his Sunday morning inspections!
I will be putting your memories along with the pictures that I have found of the ships together to give to my father for his birthday. My Dad never saw his father much when he was growing up, so I am sure that these memories will be treasured and greatly received.
Thank you again,
Best wishes,

Caroline