Stag Line - Page 4 - Ships Nostalgia
16:56

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Stag Line

User Tag List

Old 9th September 2012, 12:28

Hi team Aunty Mavis - Mervyn Johnson - I was with him on the Gloxinia and I am sitting her looking at one of his ships in a bottle which he gave me when I was cadet and on watch with hime - even got the Players sailor on the cork ( its in a Gilby's gin bottle)
Old 9th September 2012, 13:09

Caroline,
If you are still watching the site - I am another who sailed with your grandfather - Gloxinia 1968 - an excellent man who should never be forgotten - I will check my records as I believe he signed off my cadetship and I have his reference still - if you would like a copy I will be happy to scan it. JAS - I gave my discharge certificates to North Shields library - they will have a detailed history of Stag Line!
Kevin
Old 9th September 2012, 13:53
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1957 - 1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin O'Neill View Post
Hi team Aunty Mavis - Mervyn Johnson - I was with him on the Gloxinia and I am sitting her looking at one of his ships in a bottle which he gave me when I was cadet and on watch with hime - even got the Players sailor on the cork ( its in a Gilby's gin bottle)
Any chance of a photo of the ship in a bottle as I have a great interest in sailors art best regards Dave .
Old 11th November 2012, 18:37
Active: 1980 - Present

Hi John,

My name is Aidan Howlett. I joined Stag Line in 1980 and as far as I am aware was the last Deck Cadet. I sailed on M.V.Begonia twice (Both 8 month trips) and once on M.V. Zinnia (5 months) I sailed with you when you were Mate.
Other names I remember are Willie Hunter,Hughie Selkirk,Stevie Tong,Eddie Lamb,John Wright,Brian Hildred,Chris Brackenberry,Steve Andrucci,Mel Gates & Gary Worthy.
When Huntings merged with Stag Line to become Hunting Stag Management Limited in 1983 I sailed on M.V.Thamesfield and M.V.Sir John Fisher.I have come through the ranks at PNTL and now currently sailing as Master.
Old 10th February 2015, 22:16
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1973 - 1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanker View Post
Very intere sting old ship Co.(Joseph Robinson & Co).Funnel:black with white stag on broad red band.Hull :black with red boot topping.Beginning 60s.there were 6 ships :CAMELLIA-CYDONIA-GARDENIA-GLOXINIA-PHOTINIA and ZINNIA,if i find i will put a shot of some them
Gp
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hewett View Post
I joined Stag Line as cadet in 1972 and my first ship was Gloxinia which I joined in Aviles to carry a cargo of fluorspar to Montreal and grain back from Great lakes to Glasgow. Joined with Willie Humble (Chief Steward). Captain was William Hunter and mate was Eddie Lamb. Was on Photinia as extra Second Mate in 1977 when the vessel repaired one of the Cook Strait power cables (Master was Hughie Selkirk, mate - Eddie Lamb, Second Mate - Brian Hildred, 3rd Mate Stevie Andrucci, Chief Engineer - Ray Edmonds).

Found out recently that Hughie Selkirk had died a couple of years ago.

Have lost touch with all ex Stag Line people.
Hi my name is Alun Cole. I was the chief cook on the Zinnia in 1976 & the Photinia in 1977 (New Zealand) repair of spare power cable. After the trip I had a year sea leave, so I was offered a job at the new hospital in Merthyr Tydfil and stayed 23 years until the clowns took over the circus. I've been a catering equipment consultant for the last 14 years and on the last stretch to retirement. I've not had any contact with anyone from my time in the merchant navy. Sad.
Old 11th February 2015, 00:12

Engineering Super'.
I have read the thread on Stag line with interest as it was a well known company at the NEM where I served my time. (I sailed with Chatty Chapman & Common Bros myself).
I, and a friend Tony Williamson, were part of the 1955 Apprentice intake at the NEM. Tony's father was Engineering Super for Stag Line and I wonder if any of the old Stag line men knew him? Or perhaps knew Tony himself who later became Maintenance Eng at the Prudhoe & Monckton Hospital and later still, became a school teacher?
Ted Harrison
Old 8th March 2015, 17:12

Martind 2004.
I was delighted to see your entry regarding your 2nd trip on the Zinnia. I was Captain on her at the time. I have started writing about my trips and have had some problems remembering which ports I visited on some of the ships so your map was a great help to me as that was one of the trips I could not remember where we had been. Now I have only two trips with no information on them. I never thought to ask on ships nostalgia but now that you have helped me with one of the trips maybe somebody can recall the other two.I would be extremely grateful if anyone sailed on the Ixia from 17th December 1976 to 8th April 1977
and on the Ixia again from 26th November 1981 to 5th February 1982. I would enjoy hearing from you and if you can remember the ports visited, that would be great.Are you still at sea Martind? If I had your proper name I would probably remember you. Anyway, best regards and best wishes for the future.
Brian Rowlings.
Old 13th March 2016, 15:27
Active: 1975 - 1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain AJH View Post
Hi John,

My name is Aidan Howlett. I joined Stag Line in 1980 and as far as I am aware was the last Deck Cadet. I sailed on M.V.Begonia twice (Both 8 month trips) and once on M.V. Zinnia (5 months) I sailed with you when you were Mate.
Other names I remember are Willie Hunter,Hughie Selkirk,Stevie Tong,Eddie Lamb,John Wright,Brian Hildred,Chris Brackenberry,Steve Andrucci,Mel Gates & Gary Worthy.
When Huntings merged with Stag Line to become Hunting Stag Management Limited in 1983 I sailed on M.V.Thamesfield and M.V.Sir John Fisher.I have come through the ranks at PNTL and now currently sailing as Master.
Adrian, would be grateful if you could help me. I sailed on the Begonia. Joined in Rouen , France 6/6/1982 and paid off in Durban 7/2/83. Sadly my very last trip to sea. I kept a record of all trips and cargos carried except this, my final voyage. If I remember correctly , we left France, spent some time in Dry dock in Netherlands then to Sweden and loaded paper, cant remember where to. Probably USA or Canada. Loaded Steel for Taiwan and Hong Kong. Grain in Western Australia for either Iraq or Iran. Then down to Durban and paid off. Remember Chris Brackenberry, 2nd mate if I'm correct and Willie Hunter, he was skipper when I was on the Ixia. Loved Stag Line. Best days of my life. If you can fill in any gaps and any further info I would be most grateful.
Old 26th July 2017, 13:19
Active: 1972 - 2000

My location
Hi all ex Stag Liners.
In trawling through some old seafaring photos I didn't want to be the only one to be able to see them so I have started posting them in the Gallery section under Members Faces. I'm allowed 6 photos per day so it will take some time.
Also, there seems to be at least two threads regarding Stag Line - this one and one called Ex Stag Line. That one is being added to by Dave "Boy" Green and Nigel Reid amongst others.
Old 26th July 2017, 14:38
Department: Navigation
Active: 1970 - 1980

Thanks for posting the photos John, brings back a lot of memories,
Old 4th June 2018, 17:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdynia View Post
Looking for pictures from 1960 onwards

Gdynia
Here are some from my laptop
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Camellia.jpg (151.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Cydonia.jpg (18.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Gloxinia 1.jpg (40.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Gloxinia 2.jpg (45.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Ixia.jpg (43.8 KB, 30 views)
Old 4th June 2018, 17:41

a few more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photinia.jpg (117.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Zinnia 1.jpg (44.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Arran Firth.jpg (63.3 KB, 30 views)
Old 1st September 2018, 18:42
Active: 1959 - 1968

I done my first trip to sea on the Photinia, joined her at silvertown straight from sea school, she was discharging grain then up to Leith then in ballast to Halifax nova scotia then up the St Laurence to Three Rivers and Montreal.
Old 27th August 2019, 04:07

Dave - I am reading this years down the line - if you are still on the site let me know and I will take a phot for you and post it
Kevin