London nautical school - Woolverstone - Page 4 - Ships Nostalgia
23:07

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
Log in
User Name Password

London nautical school - Woolverstone

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #76  
Old 18th April 2013, 19:20
Doug Cheney Doug Cheney is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2
I went to the school and left to join the RN as a boy artificer in May 1951. My memories are a bit faded now.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 18th April 2013, 23:05
jimthehat's Avatar
jimthehat jimthehat is offline  
ELDER MEMBER
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Cheney View Post
I went to the school and left to join the RN as a boy artificer in May 1951. My memories are a bit faded now.
You must have been there at the same time as I and Alan were there.I was there from 1948 to 1952 the last year after it had changed over to Woolverstone hall.

jim
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 19th April 2013, 08:07
Alan Rawlinson's Avatar
Alan Rawlinson Alan Rawlinson is offline
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1951 - 1999
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
My location
Posts: 1,434
1951 Woolverstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Cheney View Post
I went to the school and left to join the RN as a boy artificer in May 1951. My memories are a bit faded now.
Hi Doug,

As Jim says we were all there in 1951 - looks like I left same time as you.

I was in 12 Dorm ( with the surnames later in the alphabet) and guess you were in one of the top ones near the road?

Snaps attached..

Cheers/Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01607-001.JPG (99.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01608.JPG (92.6 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by Alan Rawlinson; 19th April 2013 at 08:15..
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 19th April 2013, 10:05
jimthehat's Avatar
jimthehat jimthehat is offline  
ELDER MEMBER
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Rawlinson View Post
Hi Doug,

As Jim says we were all there in 1951 - looks like I left same time as you.

I was in 12 Dorm ( with the surnames later in the alphabet) and guess you were in one of the top ones near the road?

Snaps attached..

Cheers/Alan
Ah yes I remember those dorms well.I wonder if I was the buglar in the photo.
My dorm was no 2 in the front row.

jim
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 19th April 2013, 12:31
Alan Rawlinson's Avatar
Alan Rawlinson Alan Rawlinson is offline
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1951 - 1999
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
My location
Posts: 1,434
Doug/Jim,

It's a long shot, but wonder if you knew, or recognise another Woolverstone cadet shown here??? The lad on the left is Mick Mann ex 12 Dorm, who left around 49/50 and snapped on a Bank Line ship in Colombo circa 1951 by me.

Cheers/Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg q2-001.jpg (107.1 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 19th April 2013, 13:22
Doug Cheney Doug Cheney is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2
Hi Alan
I could have been there at Colours as I was a bugler, and also played in the Band 3rd cornet
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 19th April 2013, 14:12
jimthehat's Avatar
jimthehat jimthehat is offline  
ELDER MEMBER
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Cheney View Post
Hi Alan
I could have been there at Colours as I was a bugler, and also played in the Band 3rd cornet
Hi Doug,as a buglar you will remember getting a shake on dark freezing mornings so as to sound shower calls.As I remember them it was the call followed by the division call ,1 short for foxc'le,2 for foretop ,3 for maintop and 4 for quarterdeck

Never quite made the band as I kept on breaking the reeds on my clarinet.

jim
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 17th July 2015, 19:00
Brian Franks Brian Franks is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 2
LNS Woolverstone

I have only just come across this site, but I see that the last posts were 2008, from Alan Rawlinson.
Is anybody still there?
I also left in 1951, the last of the Naval uniformed pupils.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 17th July 2015, 19:52
Brian Franks Brian Franks is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2newfie View Post
This may be true of LNS but Woolverstone Hall was run by the LCC so all pupils were from London .
But LNS was also LCC; and as Alan has quoted, was originally aimed at giving a grammar school education for 'less fortunate' pupils!
I also tried to attach a photo..how IS it done?
Brian Franks
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 8th October 2015, 22:59
Pi R 310 Pi R 310 is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2
Have just come across this site. Enjoyed reading the various posts, brings back a lot of memories.
I was at Woolverstone Hall from 1947 - 1949.
310 Pearce (Reg) and was known as Pi R. (Fore top)
Went into the Merchant Navy on leaving the school.

Last edited by Pi R 310; 9th October 2015 at 21:38.. Reason: additional info
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 9th October 2015, 08:29
Alan Rawlinson's Avatar
Alan Rawlinson Alan Rawlinson is offline
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1951 - 1999
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
My location
Posts: 1,434
shipmates/schoolmates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi R 310 View Post
Have just come across this site. Enjoyed reading the various posts, brings back a lot of memories.
I was at Woolverstone Hall from 1947 - 1949.
310 Pearce (Reg) and was known as Pi R. (Foretop)
Went into the Merchant on leaving the school.
Hallo Pi R - great to see your post and think there are now a few of us from those long gone days. Can you recall any names of the other lads in your dorm, ot maybe in your class? In 12 dorm we had a Keenan who for some reason was moved to the fore top dorms. He was a friendly sort. His pal was a Mick Mann from our dorm and they both left in 49. Jim Mason was also a leaver in 49.

The names I recall from 12 Dorm are

Alex Loveday
Peter Lightbody
? Ring wood
? McCarthy

Instructors

Matthews
Pamphlin (snaky)
Denton

Teachers

Lidstone
Young
Grout
Johannson

I'm straining the brain cells here!

Cheers/Alan. 717. ( Rags, at Woolverstone)

Last edited by Alan Rawlinson; 9th October 2015 at 11:47..
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 10th October 2015, 00:18
Bill.B Bill.B is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1970 - 1985
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 616
I sailed with a Peter Lightbody as Old Man on Jebsens Sealnes in the 70s. Really good person to work for. I have a nice Husun magnetic compass from Woolverstone Hall sea school. All the nautical equipment was put in the back of the shed built into the river bank below the Cat House. The sailing staff were tasked to get rid of it so I presume a lot of homes on the Shotley peninsular may have given bits a home.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 11th October 2015, 22:30
jimthehat's Avatar
jimthehat jimthehat is offline  
ELDER MEMBER
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill.B View Post
I sailed with a Peter Lightbody as Old Man on Jebsens Sealnes in the 70s. Really good person to work for. I have a nice Husun magnetic compass from Woolverstone Hall sea school. All the nautical equipment was put in the back of the shed built into the river bank below the Cat House. The sailing staff were tasked to get rid of it so I presume a lot of homes on the Shotley peninsular may have given bits a home.
I was there at the changeover,so why did I not get my hands on any of the equipment/

jim
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 15th October 2015, 10:31
Tony Brown Tony Brown is offline  
Member
Organisation: Royal Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1950 - 1979
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4
Tony Brown Joined LNS in 1948 and left May 1950 to join up as a Art/app. Have a photo of Pete Lightbody, Alex Loveday and myself taken in Ipswich to send home to Mum!! I was the drum major at the time Bandmaster Jones left and was given the job of running the band, I could throw the Baton but did not have a clue about music, but with the help of all we managed.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 16th October 2015, 07:37
Alan Rawlinson's Avatar
Alan Rawlinson Alan Rawlinson is offline
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1951 - 1999
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
My location
Posts: 1,434
woolverstone memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Brown View Post
Tony Brown Joined LNS in 1948 and left May 1950 to join up as a Art/app. Have a photo of Pete Lightbody, Alex Loveday and myself taken in Ipswich to send home to Mum!! I was the drum major at the time Bandmaster Jones left and was given the job of running the band, I could throw the Baton but did not have a clue about music, but with the help of all we managed.
Hallo Tony - brilliant to read your post and news! We must have met up in those days as I joined 1948 and left summer 1951 to go to sea as an MN Apprentice in the Bank Line.

I always loved the band and the music. ( slow marches during inspection). and would like to have been a drummer. Never had the nerve to put myself forward. Can you recall the name of the slow march regularly played by the band? I can hum the first few notes, even today, but can't locate it on Spotify without a name.

Any chance you can post the photo of my dorm mates - Peter Lightbody and Alex ?

Jim Ferrier is on here, and was a bugler - do you recall him?

Cheers/Alan

Last edited by Alan Rawlinson; 16th October 2015 at 09:33..
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 16th October 2015, 21:39
Pi R 310 Pi R 310 is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2
I recall a lad nicknamed 'Bonce' Chew or Tue
'Blackie' Black a chap with asthma
A very big lad named Salmon who helped us 'out of bounds' gang scare the living daylights out of a group of Pin Mill girls that we regularly hung out with.
Mr Croot - of the large hands (our form master) stands out. I recall him roaming the classroom with a length of 1'' x 3'' timber which he would hold an inch or two above a suspect malingerer's head, to let drop if deserved!
The Head Master was F Langley, who in my final term report 'other activity ' section wrote 'smoker' which because of his writing , I had read for ages as 'snooker'.
My older brother joined T S Exmouth at Grays Essex in 1939. The school was evacuated to Lydney, Glos. at war outbreak. My brother Ken Pearce (age 16) left in 1941 and served as deck boy on SS Newbury which was torpedoed in September 1941. Ken never came home!
After the war Exmouth moved to Bray and then Woolverstone.

Will try to delve back through the old memory bank for some more 'snippets'!

Look forward to reading further posts from the original Woolverstone Hall 'old boys' Cheers Reg Pearce.

Last edited by Pi R 310; 16th October 2015 at 21:44.. Reason: update
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 17th October 2015, 07:34
Alan Rawlinson's Avatar
Alan Rawlinson Alan Rawlinson is offline
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1951 - 1999
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
My location
Posts: 1,434
Mr Langley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi R 310 View Post
I recall a lad nicknamed 'Bonce' Chew or Tue
'Blackie' Black a chap with asthma
A very big lad named Salmon who helped us 'out of bounds' gang scare the living daylights out of a group of Pin Mill girls that we regularly hung out with.
Mr Croot - of the large hands (our form master) stands out. I recall him roaming the classroom with a length of 1'' x 3'' timber which he would hold an inch or two above a suspect malingerer's head, to let drop if deserved!
The Head Master was F Langley, who in my final term report 'other activity ' section wrote 'smoker' which because of his writing , I had read for ages as 'snooker'.
My older brother joined T S Exmouth at Grays Essex in 1939. The school was evacuated to Lydney, Glos. at war outbreak. My brother Ken Pearce (age 16) left in 1941 and served as deck boy on SS Newbury which was torpedoed in September 1941. Ken never came home!
After the war Exmouth moved to Bray and then Woolverstone.

Will try to delve back through the old memory bank for some more 'snippets'!

Look forward to reading further posts from the original Woolverstone Hall 'old boys' Cheers Reg Pearce.
Hi Reg,

Great to read your memories....

Grout I remember well with his big scaly hands. He was a bit too fond of using them - he wouldn't last five minutes today in the classroom!

In 1964 I was on watch on the passenger ship (Heysham/Belfast ferries) Duke of Lancaster, when one of the passengers gate crashed the little barrier and came up on to the bridge in the dark. It was around midnight, and we often had drunks turfed off the bridge on passage. Anyway, we got talking and this chap turned out to be Langley on his way to a conference in Belfast. We got to talking about Woolverstone Hall etc but in the end I had to call the QM to do his duty!!
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 17th October 2015, 13:41
Alan Rawlinson's Avatar
Alan Rawlinson Alan Rawlinson is offline
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1951 - 1999
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
My location
Posts: 1,434
Band Music

The slow march played during the weekly Sunday divisions was called ' By Land and Sea'. It has stayed with me for 67 years!
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 20th October 2015, 07:22
Alan Rawlinson's Avatar
Alan Rawlinson Alan Rawlinson is offline
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1951 - 1999
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
My location
Posts: 1,434
12 Dorm

Peter Lightbody and self 1950
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (40.6 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 20th October 2015, 22:51
jimthehat's Avatar
jimthehat jimthehat is offline  
ELDER MEMBER
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,034
Being more athletic than scolaristic I played rugby for the school and represented the district at the county games(half mile and the mile)
We also had a basketball team,does anyone one remember that?

jim
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 22nd October 2015, 10:17
Alan Rawlinson's Avatar
Alan Rawlinson Alan Rawlinson is offline
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1951 - 1999
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
My location
Posts: 1,434
sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthehat View Post
Being more athletic than scolaristic I played rugby for the school and represented the district at the county games(half mile and the mile)
We also had a basketball team,does anyone one remember that?

jim
Don't remember basketball - all the tall lads presumably?

do remember Mr Young (woodwork teacher) a keen yachty and crewing for him. We accidentally won a race (3 times round the Cork light vessel) in the Harwich regatta 1951. The race was cancelled halfway through due to rough weather but we were declared the winner for leading after 2 circuits. Got into trouble just outside Felixstowe entrance on a patch of rough shallow ground called - I believe, ' The Rolling Stones'. ?

Also crewed at weekends for Commander Smethwick and his mates , and remember spending hours stuck on the Orwell mud with him when he misjudged the tide!
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 22nd October 2015, 22:33
jimthehat's Avatar
jimthehat jimthehat is offline  
ELDER MEMBER
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Rawlinson View Post
Don't remember basketball - all the tall lads presumably?

do remember Mr Young (woodwork teacher) a keen yachty and crewing for him. We accidentally won a race (3 times round the Cork light vessel) in the Harwich regatta 1951. The race was cancelled halfway through due to rough weather but we were declared the winner for leading after 2 circuits. Got into trouble just outside Felixstowe entrance on a patch of rough shallow ground called - I believe, ' The Rolling Stones'. ?

Also crewed at weekends for Commander Smethwick and his mates , and remember spending hours stuck on the Orwell mud with him when he misjudged the tide!
yes remember that race,not rolling stones but rolling ground,passed that buoy 4 times day whilst sailing with Townsend,,
jim
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 23rd October 2015, 12:25
Tony Brown Tony Brown is offline  
Member
Organisation: Royal Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1950 - 1979
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4
As far as I recall a piece of music played whilst the inspection was going on at divisions was La Paloma (I believe THE DOVE in Spanish) and the march we always played going around the quadrangle in front of the house was Imperial Echo's as it made a might sound bouncing back off the building.
I remember Black the lad with the Asthma as he was in the same dorm as me and it was not good when he got an attack during the night. It has always amazed me that there let him join.
Lou Armstrong was another, I still have his hair brushes he lent me!!!
I can't not remember the sports master but a teacher who taught English, Edwards was avery good rugby player and Cout was reputted to have kept goal for the R.N. with hands that size, no wonder!! The cricket ground was first class and that is where Alex Loveday and myself spent a lot of time. The pavilion is still there but I don't thoink the girls are using the square much. I last visit there 4 years ago and what a change in the facilitites available. The old stable block was in a mess and not being used for much, not a sign of a nisen hut!!
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 24th October 2015, 07:32
Alan Rawlinson's Avatar
Alan Rawlinson Alan Rawlinson is offline
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1951 - 1999
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
My location
Posts: 1,434
Memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Brown View Post
As far as I recall a piece of music played whilst the inspection was going on at divisions was La Paloma (I believe THE DOVE in Spanish) and the march we always played going around the quadrangle in front of the house was Imperial Echo's as it made a might sound bouncing back off the building.
I remember Black the lad with the Asthma as he was in the same dorm as me and it was not good when he got an attack during the night. It has always amazed me that there let him join.
Lou Armstrong was another, I still have his hair brushes he lent me!!!
I can't not remember the sports master but a teacher who taught English, Edwards was avery good rugby player and Cout was reputted to have kept goal for the R.N. with hands that size, no wonder!! The cricket ground was first class and that is where Alex Loveday and myself spent a lot of time. The pavilion is still there but I don't thoink the girls are using the square much. I last visit there 4 years ago and what a change in the facilitites available. The old stable block was in a mess and not being used for much, not a sign of a nisen hut!!
Ah, the memories come flooding back!

Yes, La Paloma, and as mentioned the band regularly played ' By Land and Sea' to a slow march arrangement. I enjoyed those days.

The stable block brings back a lot of memories too . The showers, ( I still stand under the shower pulling an imaginary chain over my shoulder, a la Woolverstone). ( No jokes, please!). Then there was the tray of purple ? that stained your feet and ankles with a purple band - anti-foot rot grunge, wasn't it. Also the sick bay - the less said the better.

Tony, any chance of seeing the photo you mentioned earlier?

Best wishes/Al
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 24th October 2015, 10:47
Varley's Avatar
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Active: 1971 - 2011
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,395
Good Lord. Even at a proper school they didn't run us through a sheep dip!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
King Edward VII Nautical College London Tom Wood Nautical Colleges 26 24th July 2017 18:14
Wellesley Nautical School vic.clarke Looking for Old Shipmates 23 6th July 2014 01:08
Nellist Nautical School Mac Places, People & Events of Maritime Interest 18 2nd July 2013 16:28
Port of London Authority, central London building andysk Places, People & Events of Maritime Interest 7 7th November 2011 20:07
Help Required ! (National Nautical School at Portishead) sailorbear Nautical Colleges 1 24th September 2011 17:05



Support SN


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.