New member - Ships Nostalgia
14:47

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

User Tag List

Old 19th January 2006, 12:39

Happy New Year from another new member

I left the Merchant navy in 1979 after 9years working for T & J Harrison’s, it was the best time of my life and I still get very nostalgic when I visit Liverpool.
I started in 1970 after serving my engineering apprenticeship in the Glass industry, and joined Harrison’s as 6th engineer working my way up to 3rd before I left in 1979.
I still travel but by air and work with computers instead of engines, I work as part of a team so in some ways it’s a bit like being in the merch.
I hope by joining it may bring back fond memories.
Best wishes to all
Diplomat
Old 19th January 2006, 13:20
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
WELCOME ABOARD DIPLOMAT, sure you will enjoy this ship? like the name DIPLOMAT could use one here i'm sure.
Old 19th January 2006, 13:45
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Welcome Diplomat to the site enjoy it and all it has to offer andlook forward to your postings and a happy new year to you.
Old 19th January 2006, 13:49

My location
Welcome aboard from Italy.
Gp
Old 19th January 2006, 14:48

Memories are made of this...........Site. Some one should write a song hey? Welcome aboard as I'm sure you'll find plenty of T&J Harrison's men on here
Old 19th January 2006, 14:55

It’s nice to know I’m among friends
By just looking through the gallery and seeing the names, the memories have started to flood back.
Old 19th January 2006, 15:00

To the member from Italy I'm in the same part of the world as you this week, a place called San-Salvo near Vasto I travel back to the UK tomorrow.
Old 19th January 2006, 23:00

My location
Diplomat

Welcome Diplomat, what a fine pseudoneym you have taken, you must have sailed on a regular basis on m.v. Diplomat, a fine ship.
Every time I travel down the Dock Road, which is now not very often, because although I have really good memories of working in the Canada Dock office and working in the wharfingers offices, enjoying the crack with the Dockers and sailing on Harrisons vessels and fantastic crews.
I return to reality, and the heartbreak of Canada Dock as a scrapyard, empty berths, no activity, no lines of lorries waiting to enter the different docks, no dock line shunters with strings of wagons in tow and a lot of jobs gone, only ghosts of yesteryear.
Mersey Docks may be breaking records in tonnages passing through Liverpool via containerisation and ro ro vessels, but its not the same.
Stevedores like Jimmy Washington and Mr Massam and Mr Whittaker are passed giants at stowing a ship with General Cargos, a true art, which at the time I took for granted, but with advancement in years, can appreciate and value, they made my job a lot easier.
On a more Positive note the crew on the fair ship SN will blow you away on memories, good ones. In the short time I've been on this site some of the Senior Members have moved me to laughter, tears, WEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE, but more importantly, MEMORIES. They say they are made of Gold, they certainly are.

Regards,

Eric.
Old 20th January 2006, 00:17

My location
You are very welcome here Diplomat and we look forward to some interesting posts from you.
Old 20th January 2006, 00:33

Welcome aboard Diplomat and enjoy the site and the banter.
Old 26th January 2006, 10:33
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1959 - 1993

My location
Ahoy Diplomat,

Welcome aboard, enjoy yourself on this fine ship and her crew, as we do; looking forward to your postings.
From Holland
My piccies also @:
http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Phot...06a43771da649b