City Of London - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
14:30

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

City Of London

User Tag List

Old 8th March 2010, 16:51

Looks like Thompson derricks to me on Robert J Smiths picture above.
Old 10th March 2010, 16:15
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito_1 View Post
This was also my last ship with Ellermans June 4th 1973.
The only deep sea trip (May5th-Sept 9th 1972) Port of call. London-Durban-Muscat-Abadan-Khorramshar-Basrah-Kuwait-Bahrain-Doha-Singapore-Rejang-Hong Kong-Yokahama-Kobe-Shimizu-Balboa(Panama)-London. Capt John Owen.C/Stwd Joe Cashmore,and for the life of me can't remember the rest of the crew,anyone know?
regards Malcolm Bennington
c/o Tim Seaman
1/0 jerry Walsh (?) + wife
2/0 Don McPhearson
Cadet Stewart Jacklin
Cadet Joe Q
C/E ?
2/E (?) Albosom (?)
3/E ?
4/E Stewart McLellen
J/E
Cadet Northen Irish lad + a geordie

Last edited by JoeQ; 10th March 2010 at 17:11..
Old 29th March 2010, 19:05

Hi ya there, I sailed as Junior Engineer on the City of Columbo - it was about 1974/75 time - I remember having Christmas day Lunch in Durban harbour - but my memory of the City of London was -

We were due to go home to the UK via Germany; when we received orders the City of London was going to transfer some cargo onto our ship (City of Columbo) which had to return to the Gulf for a short trip with the cargo.

When the City of London was alongside discharging cargo onto our ship the 4th Engineer and a certain accomplice managed to tape together 2 brush shanks with a paintbrush on the end of it. We then painted (by opening the engine room gunport doors) a 'swastika sign' on the side of the hull of the City of London - aye it cost us a barrel of beer that did!

happy memories

aye
john
Old 31st March 2010, 18:32

I never sailed on any of them but if I remeember correctly two had Sulzer Engines and one had a Doxford. (or was it the other way round) I remember as a phase 3 cadet going to Doxfords Engine works to see an engine on test.
Old 2nd April 2010, 17:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Hughes View Post
I never sailed on any of them but if I remeember correctly two had Sulzer Engines and one had a Doxford. (or was it the other way round) I remember as a phase 3 cadet going to Doxfords Engine works to see an engine on test.
The Liverpool had a Doxford. I am pretty sure the other two had Sulzers.
Old 8th June 2010, 16:32

Blimey I will have to try and find a picture. I can only recall cranes. But it is a long time ago. I was excited as she was trhe first time I had sailed with cranes. Before I did my ticket the newest ship I had been on was built in 1960 (City of Worcester). And I was the only one in the class who had sailed with wood/canvas hatches and had used a side streaming log.
Old 8th June 2010, 19:38
Active: 1973 - 2010

My location
Aaahh, the joys of rigging a side streaming log!!!!!, and many a happy hour making new hatch boards with the chippy. I seem to remember being told by the chippy that when that class was built no. 2 hatch was too big for Mcgregor hatch covers, hence the wood and canvas. cheers, Evan.
Old 6th August 2010, 23:37

Both the Liverpool and Hull were built in the Caledon Yard, Dundee. I served half my apprenticeship on them. Shame I never had the chance to sail on them when I evetually joined Ellerman.
Old 18th January 2011, 08:16
Department: Engineering
Active: 1965 - 1980

The other way around the Liverpool and Hull had 7J Doxfords and the London had an 6RND90 Sulzer.

In answer to another question they may not have had derricks as such but they did have what was called a speed crane which was a heavy lift of sorts it serviced #4 hatch I think.??

John Brown
Old 23rd March 2011, 21:02
Organisation: Coastguard
Department: Fishing
Active: 1975 - Present

I joined the London as a first trip engine cadet on 7/7/77 in Liverpool, fine ship and a great trip. Was on the 8 - 12 watch with fourth engineer Richie Greenwood, we used to shove the revs up through the night and pull her back at ten to midnight before the third came on watch. Used to 'flog the log' and work out what the rev counter should be for the correct revs. The third was always in trouble for bunging the revs up on his watch, which he always denied - ages before he cottoned on!
Old 16th January 2012, 23:11

i really hope you get this message. I saw one of your comments about your last sail in 1973 and the captain was John Owen. I think that,s my grandfather he was captain at that time on ellerman lines.x
Old 17th January 2012, 21:57

I asked my grandpa and he said he did that voyage(Captain John Owen) it would be good to speak to you
Old 19th January 2012, 13:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennytot View Post
I asked my grandpa and he said he did that voyage(Captain John Owen) it would be good to speak to you
Are you refering to the round the world voyage on the City of Liverpool in 1972?

I was a cadet on that voyage the captain was John Owen
Old 21st February 2012, 14:12
Department: Navigation
Active: 1973 - 1987

City of London

I joined City Of London on July 4 1973 in Hull as first trip cadet. First sight I had was Tim Seaman standing at the gangway. The captain may have been Owen but not sure. Captain Ramsden joined in London for the trip to South Africa.

David MacDonald
Old 17th June 2012, 15:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie More View Post
remember the crane ward-leonards sets well , on the londons second last trip in the company about 1980, it was found in liverpool the day before sailing to east africa, that all four foredeck verticle standing slew motors had filled up to the comms with rain water from the previous trip when one lifeboat had carried away in a hurricain off maritus ,we had to stip out all armatures and brake gear to put ashore for baking at port said ,second leckie was put on nights to dry out the field coils and poles in the galley oven , working long days on scaffold boards on the crane jib for access , ship delayed three days before going thru canal , the windlass and other control gear never really recovered from the effects the whole trip , the rain water had entered thu the contol panels on the crane sides and down into all motors via cable conduits . made for another memorable trip
Hi donnie, i was the second leckie u mentioned and it was a hell of a trip cos we didn't get paid for all the extra overtime we worked.
Old 17th June 2012, 16:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpjd View Post
There speaks an engineer.
City of Liverpool - Derricks - 1980.
I dont think so - she had cranes.
Lovely ship - I was 3rd Mate on her in 1978/9.
Apology to engineers called for I think from a not very observant deckie ??? Clearly derricks can be seen on the picture earlier in this thread from Bob S. Whoops !
Old 25th June 2012, 12:39
Department: Purser
Active: 1966 - 1976

I remember the London being in Southampton when I was there on the Chrysantema.Some joker had blocked out the letters on the illuminated name box on the upperworks so it read City of ondo,had me scratching my head until I saw her in daylight
Old 29th June 2012, 14:36

My location
[QUOTE=David T MacDonald;577759]I joined City Of London on July 4 1973 in Hull as first trip cadet. First sight I had was Tim Seaman standing at the gangway. The captain may have been Owen but not sure. Captain Ramsden joined in London for the trip to South Africa.

David MacDonald[/QUOTE

I was 3/0 when you joined, just coasting. Paid off in London, I do recall we had a fair few parties in Hull and Newcastle. Must have been quite an eyeopener ! 2/0 was Dave Birley and the OM was Owen.
Old 25th July 2012, 13:54
Department: Navigation
Active: 1973 - 1987

[QUOTE=John Gurton;604663]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David T MacDonald View Post
I joined City Of London on July 4 1973 in Hull as first trip cadet. First sight I had was Tim Seaman standing at the gangway. The captain may have been Owen but not sure. Captain Ramsden joined in London for the trip to South Africa.

David MacDonald[/QUOTE

I was 3/0 when you joined, just coasting. Paid off in London, I do recall we had a fair few parties in Hull and Newcastle. Must have been quite an eyeopener ! 2/0 was Dave Birley and the OM was Owen.
I suppose you could call it an eye opener, I had a great time. As I recall we had parties in every port. Captain Owen was a real gent, you all did your best to wind me up about the dreaded Capt Ramsden joining for deep sea, he must have mellowed no problems.
Old 9th August 2012, 13:18
Active: 1966 - 2009

City Of London

The three vessels of this class were built in the early 1970s and were long after the earlier 12s (12) passenger class of ship with similar names. I served as second mate on both the City of London & City of Hull in 1974/75.
Masters were Ken James & Aston Ramsden (London) & Brian Torrence (Hull)
I was mate on the City of Liverpool in 1979/80 during the final days of Ellerman lines. Actually made redundant after leaving the vessel, when I think only four vessels left in the Ellerman Lines fleet.
City of London Off No. 341138
City of Hull 341344
City of Liverpool 339336

The vessels were kitted out with Clarke Chapman cranes and "Speedcrane" swinging heavy(ish) derricks.
Old 9th August 2012, 14:41
Active: 1955 - 1960

Angry city of london, brussels ss co.

scorcher, thanks for the photo, was on her in 1958. enjoyed the weekly trips to brussels. unfortunatly all good things come to an end.
Old 9th August 2012, 14:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan carter View Post
scorcher, thanks for the photo, was on her in 1958. enjoyed the weekly trips to brussels. unfortunatly all good things come to an end.
This one I'll have the Ellerman boy's baffeled
Old 27th September 2012, 15:20

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennytot View Post
i really hope you get this message. I saw one of your comments about your last sail in 1973 and the captain was John Owen. I think that,s my grandfather he was captain at that time on ellerman lines.x
Hi Jennytot,Just a longshot but if your grandfathers middle initial is `I` and he was born in Barcelona, then I sailed with him on the City of Philadelphia, Birkenhead to the Cape and back in 1965 when he was Mate

Richard
Old 1st October 2012, 21:24

I sailed on the City of London as an apprentice in the early '70s. As I recall there was a bit of a stink when the new stereo speakers were installed in the bar and the 'audio expert' decided that the arm of one of the bronze statues (Gog or Magog, I forget which mythical London based god it was) was in the way of the best site for a speaker. Suffering from a little tunnel vision he popped down the engine room for a hack saw and amputated the arm. This allowed the speaker to be positioned in the optimum place. Maybe this is what happened to the Venus de Milo.
Old 2nd October 2012, 13:24
Active: 1973 - 2010

My location
OMG, I was on the London coasting in 1974, can't remember who the old man was, but the mate was Robin Meikle, soon to be fleet training officer, anyway, I remember the statues well, and also remember being told that they were worth an absolute fortune, and that when the ship was sold on or scrapped, that the statues were to be taken back to the UK to the office by the old man. I often wondered whatever happened to them.